He Wouldn't Let Go

Leo slowly touched the wires of the machine

Leo slowly touched the wires of the machine. At first nothing happened but as he focused, the noises started up again and he could literally feel them. His eyes widened as he felt the hum of the machine and the noises started upwards. He could literally feel it.

Feel everything.

His veins started to change colour once again and become more prominent. Crawling up his arm. This time Leo didn't let go. As they crawled up his arms the noises he could hear and feel became louder and louder. He felt like he was being electrocuted and roasted at the same time however it wasn't painful.

Just intense.

Really intense.

When he could barely think, the noises and feelings of the machine was almost overwhelming as if he was literally living in its insides, suddenly he could feel everything. Everything wire, every shot of electricity and fire keeping it alive. Leo let out a growl as he concentrated more and the colour changing of his veins began to spread to the rest of his body.

Okay he thought, let's see if it works!

He imagined it stopping and thought stop in his mind.

The loud grumbling steps of the machine came to a halt, as well as the shaking.

Leo straightened instantly, wait, had it actually...?

But as soon as his hands came of the wires and metal, the metal beast rumbled and it started to move once again.

Leo's eyes widened as his hands came back down on to the machine. As soon as his hands touched it, the connection was back so suddenly fast, Leo almost let go again.

The metal contraption fell to a stop. It's huge built in metal legs wrapped in iron and steel, jigsawed together stood still, under Leo's command.

But he couldn't let go, not even for a second or it would carry on towards the town.

An uneasy feeling stirred inside his gut at this realisation.

He couldn't let go...

He shook that train of thought away for now.

Leo thought back to the first time had felt this connection a couple of minutes ago, when he had first felt this machines energy. He could feel what fuelled it. It had felt and sounded like a heart beat and if he focused now he could still feel it but he had felt other heart beats of electricity and fire all around it? Could he have been connecting to the other machines through this one?

Could he possibly connect to all of them and control them?

If he could do that then maybe...

Leo looked at the hole, where the twins had blown a hole in the metal beast to get them inside, he looked outwards towards the sea. Maybe he could send them all back to where they had come from?

But he couldn't let go...

This thought was niggling at the back of his mind, growing stronger the more he stalled. It made him feel ill.

The dreams of suffocating underwater, when he actually almost drowned, and the nightmares he'd had about drowning afterwards came back to him in full force.

Leo clenched his teeth together, suppressing himself from cursing or screaming, he wasn't sure what he'd rather do.

His eyes felt wet.

Was this really something he was willing to do?

His lungs felt tight, heavy and his breathing had increased. Leo vaguely wondered if this might be a panic attack but he ignored it to the best of his ability.

Leo reached out with everything he had inside himself, feeling for the other heartbeats he could hear, grabbing on to their sounds and how they felt.

Images of his friends on different machines, attacking the insides to no avail was forced into his mind as he connected to all the other metal beasts.

Here goes nothing he thought.

STOP!

GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

He imagined it and screamed it inside his head. He could see some mortals shouting out in confusion, they were the people who had been controlling other metal beasts his friends weren't on.

The metal beast's stopped, they then slowly turned around and started to walk back...into the sea.

Shouts of relief but also confusion was heard down below by the public and the cops but Leo refused to look at what was happening. He had to put all his concentration into this! He closed his eyes, accepting it.

He...wouldn't let go.

Don't let go!

"Leo! Let me help you!"

Leo's eyes snapped open, his gasped in shock, looking around but not letting go of the wires and metal within the machine.

"Jen?!"