Suffocation

"Wakey, wakey!"

A bucket of water was thrown all over him, Leo spluttered awake.

Damon, the two young men and a women were with him.

He knew why they were here. At first he desperately tried to show them he could conjure fire but the water they had dunked on him was messing with his abilities and everything was happening too fast.

Before he knew it, he was out of the tent. They had tied his hands and legs together then the young man had picked him up and held him over his shoulder.

Leo swore angrily.

Damon said "Tabitha, gag him would you?"

She gagged him, Leo had no idea where she had gotten the gag from. He noticed though, she wouldn't meet his eyes.

They carried him across some parts of the forest to a river, a couple of minutes away. The river was wide and flowing fast.

Leo noticed that no one else apart from them was around. He asked about this as soon as she ripped the gag away, eager to buy time.

"Most want you to go on trial before the sacrifice but we couldn't have that. We've already missed our dead line because we were too soft and our crops have started to rot" The young man answered. His hair was as black as midnight and his eyes a bright unsettling green.

Leo, thanks to Jen didn't have to ask what that meant but he snapped "Your camp is hiding right next to a city! No, not right next too, inside one!"

Damon sneered, shaking his head "And get food like mortals? We swore we'd never live like them and always prove to the gods we didn't need to live like them. That would be just like accepting that's what we are to them and how we should live"

Leo opened his mouth to argue but Damon said "That's enough, throw him in!"

He tried to call on his abilities. His skin started to heat up but he wasn't quick enough as Tabitha made sure he was standing then she pushed him in.

Leo gagged as the water rushed in. It was freezing cold! They had made sure to throw him in with his face, facing the water so he couldn't breathe and the strong current made sure he couldn't turn around, he was choking on water. He couldn't tell if they had left or not.

Come on, don't fail me now! Leo pleaded inside his head.

His veins heated up and suddenly the water didn't seem so cold any more, in fact it went to freezing cold, too warm, too boiling hot.

The water around him actually started to boil.

The ropes around his hands and legs were loosening under the heat.

But Leo was still choking on water, he hadn't been able to turn himself around for breath and his head felt light.

Just as it was getting dangerous, he could feel water rattling in his lungs and trying to suffocate him but then he suddenly felt strong hands wrap around his t-shirt and pull him up.

Leo gasped for breath, coughing and spluttering as he was dumped on the hard solid amazing ground.

He tried to look up, to see who had rescued him but his vision was too blurry. 

All he could see was a misty feminine shape reaching for him before he lost consciousness.