The Message Was All To Clear

The water was now up to his waist and getting closer and closer to Jen's shoulders

The water was now up to his waist and getting closer and closer to Jen's shoulders. Impressively she hadn't asked when they were going to let go yet.

Every minute that went past Leo would glance at her, checking where about's the water was up too and pulling more of the connection of the machines onto himself, slowly taking away her own control over the metal beasts. He knew what he had to do.

When the water was up to his chest and up to her neck, he turned towards her, she was looking at him, her eyes wide.

"Can you swim?" He asked.

She didn't respond at first but then said, looking more focus, her fear easing from her face "Can you?"

Leo said grimly "It doesn't matter about me"

"If we both let go they'll go back to the beach, won't they? We won't be able to control them" She said, her voice shaking a little.

He tensed more at that.

"I'm may be a lot younger than you but I'm not stupid" She said softly.

He said slowly, not looking at her "If you let go, I can carry on from here"

He gave the controls a brief tug through their connection, showing her he now had almost all of the control over the metal beasts.

Jen looked at him stubbornly "I'm not leaving you!"

"You have to!" He hissed back.

"No I don't!"

"Look, we're Demi-gods. Back in my camp we tend to die on quests and even from our sparring and training! I'm doing this. I want too!"

"No you don't. You're afraid" Jen said.

Leo laughed bitterly "I'm about to drown, why wouldn't I be?!"

Drowning.

It felt laughable that his power was fire and he was about to die by water, a little ironic maybe.

He ignored the racing of his own heartbeat.  Or the sweat sticking to his clothes, it wasn't boiling anymore, the water was also colder but it didn't stop himself from sweating or cooling down.

He ignored the little voice in his head that was crying. Crying and screaming that his nightmares were coming true...

"I'm not leaving you to do this by yourself! I-in fact it should be you going and leaving m-me here. No one will miss me" She said, trying to sound brave.

"You're kidding me?! No way! You're just a kid!" He retorted.

"So are you!" Jen cried, her eyes watering.

"Just go! You'll be underwater soon!" Leo retorted.

It was true, due to her hight the water was now up to her chin, she wouldn't be able to paddle to go upwards or the water would force her to let go of the machine.

"Jen, I swear if you don't move I will forcible remove you" He growled.

"You're lying. We both know you can't let go of the machine either"

"Jen!"

"Leo!"

"Please, just go!" He pleaded, his voice shaking with fear as he saw the water reaching her mouth, she closed her mouth to avoid water going in and breathed through her nose. Unable to talk she just glared at him in response.

"I'm not leaving and if you don't go, we'll both drown" He snarled, glaring daggers at her.

"Do you want that!?"

She didn't respond, the water now dangerously close to covering her nose. She was on her tiptoes. The water had only just started to rise up his his chest.

Her light eyes stared at him. They were bright and they were brave. She wasn't backing down.

Not for even a second.

And the message was all to clear.