His Mother's Trade

Leo groaned, oh gods his head hurt

Leo groaned, oh gods his head hurt. Suddenly flashes of what happened to him ran through his mind. Leo gasped sitting up, eyes wide as he took in who was in front of him.

A stunning older women stood before him however she was decked completely in armour and not Greek but Roman armour. Her presence seemed intimidating but despite this, she smiled at his shock.

"Hello child"

The way she spoke seemed young but oddly old at the same time but just by appearance Leo knew who she was.

She...reminded him of his mother.

He could also feel her power and knew he was standing in front of a goddess as he  kneeled a little bit.

"I see you know me" She said.

"I've heard of you. You're Ceres, aren't you?"Leo said slowly.

Everything fit.

If all gods apart from her had forgotten or didn't care about the children in these camps who else could it be?

He bowed his head.

After all he wasn't Percy, in her eyes he was just another Demi-God, he couldn't afford to get reckless with any god unless he had too.

"Romen god of the agriculture, grain, crops, fertility and motherly relationships" Ceres said, as if this is what he should as said to highlight her importance.

Leo winced a little at the last part.

"Oh dear, you didn't deserve what Gaea did to your mother. I'm so sorry" Ceres said, genuine sympathy in her tone.

"Some children are destined to have troubled relationships with their mothers but you would have been one of the luckier happier ones" She said sadly and wistfully. 

Leo wanted to point out wasn't she only meant to be doing this for Roman Demi-gods? But decided to keep his mouth shut about that for now.

"Are you the only God who really knows about this camp?" Leo asked slowly.

Some annoyance bubbling up inside him at how she was behaving. 

"Oh no, most gods know but they do not care. They believe these children will eventually accept that they should live normal mortal lives and give up on this foolishness. But I know what it's like to be looked down on, to be pushed aside, I have suffered this so many times at the hand of my older more powerful family and friends"

Leo's eyes narrowed a little bit as he said dryly "And they sacrifice to you once a year, which boosts your power"

Ceres smiled, this time it was a cold smile but her voice was naturally happy and chirpy "That too"

Leo said shakily "They don't know your helping them though or that you're actually real or why you are really doing this"

"No, and I don't plan for them to know. You will keep my secret" Ceres said.

"Why should I?" Leo said icily, not liking the goddess in front of him who was only doing this for power, knowing if they stopped sacrificing to her she'd happily leave this camp to starve.

"I saved your life didn't I?" She said sweetly

"Only because they were trying to sacrifice me to you" He retorted before he could stop himself. 

Her eyes sparked with power as she sneered "Little Demi-God needs to learn his place"

Oh no! He was ready to be destroyed! All that talk about being better than Percy at restraining himself and now this!  He closed his eyes and tensed up but then her voice came over him and he blinked in surprise.

"Despite your disrespect what you say is true I suppose. And I am actually still sorry about the wonderful relationship you lost with your mother..."

Leo wanted to shout at her to stop talking about his mother. It hurt in his chest every time this goddess mentioned her and pretended she knew all about their interactions.

"Oh very well. Child of Hephaestus, I will offer you a trade then" She said curtly.

"Trade?" Leo muttered.

"Yes, you who keep my secret and in return I can convince the camp you are their saving grace and they take you back easily" Ceres said calmly.

He blinked, frowning, this sounded too good to be true "How?"

"I will teach you...how to breathe fire"