Chapter 1

I'm not a vampire-Falling in Reverse

"It's time to wake up Beth!" I hear my mom yell from downstairs.

I blink open my eyes and shut them back. It's much too bright in this room. Sometimes I wish I could control the brightness of the sun the way I can control the brightness of my iPhone. Sleep is calling my name and it doesn't take long for me to drift back off.

"Beth?" Mom calls up the stairs once again. I grab my pillow and put it on top of my head in attempt to block out any noises. After a brief moment my mom opens my door and sits down on my bed.

"Honey you need to wake up. You've been sleeping all day. It's already noon" she declares.

What is going on with her lately? Is she depressed? I hear my moms think.

Oh great, now I'm depressed? Why is it moms think like his, their mind automatically assuming the most drastic and worse outcome from every little thing, or is just mine? Where did that even come from?

At that, I sit up. "You're right. I guess I should wake up," I tell her with a smile so she hopefully feels better, and-even better-stops riding me.

Her lips curve into a smile. "Glad to hear it honey. I'll go make you... breakfast," she offers, -hesitating on the word "breakfast"-and kisses me on the forehead. I believe brunch is the word she was looking for. She stands up to leave, but before she's out the door she turns around to look at me and says "I love you, honey."

"I love you too mom."

Oh and in case you thought I had messed up when I said "I heard her think," I guess I should let you know that I've had the ability to read minds since I can remember.

Yeah, that's right. You didn't hear me wrong, you aren't going crazy, and neither am I - I don't think - so don't ask!

At first I thought that it was just something everyone could do, but I soon learned that wasn't true.

Dude, I totally just rhymed without even trying!

Apparently I'm some sort of freak of nature that has supernatural powers. Great, right? Exactly what a teenage girl wants, something she's born with and can't control that makes her a freak. It's just lovely.

Go ahead and get it out of your system right now. Yell, jump up and down, tell me I'm a liar, call me a freak, whatever it is you feel like doing, do it now.

I'm not explaining all of this again so I might as well tell it all, I guess. Like I said, I could read minds ever since I was born. I've never told anybody, ever. Not even my mom or dad-before he died-I'm an only child, so no, I didn't tell my brothers or sisters. Or even my best friend Abigail, although she probably wouldn't forgive me if she found out... As far as I know I'm normal in every other way, I can just... hear what people think. Man that sounds crazy every time I try to admit that.

I know what you're thinking, 'wow! What an incredible gift, you're so lucky!' Well sorry to burst your bubble -And I'm not trying to sound ungrateful when I say this-but reading people's minds sucks. The mind of any individual no matter who it is, is dark, mean, judgemental, incredibly strange, and beyond depressing. It's the cold, hard truth that is never spoken. It's every careless thought that gets caught in a person's mental filter. It's no fun listening to what people truly think about the way that you look, act, smell, talk, and everything else. Every little thing about me is judged by my friends, family, and acquaintances. That stuff can really hurt a girl's ego. It's why I try not to listen in on people's thoughts too much. I'm just glad I finally learned how to control it. Let's just say middle school was a dark, dark time and leave it at that.