Chapter 11

The Best Song-Jon Lajoie

Last night I couldn't fall asleep. Even though I made a promise to myself to get much much more sleep. Going to sleep at 10:00 and waking up at 6:30am.

But last night I had lied awake in bed until five o'clock in the morning. So when my alarm went off at six thirty, only one and a half hours later, I turned it off and went back to sleep.

That beautiful feeling off being in a soft, pillowy bed, topped with a nice soft blanket, mmm there's no better feeling.

I slowly open my eyes a few minutes later and glance at the clock. 7:45. My eyelids weigh down, urging me to sleep, just as I'm about to give in, my eyes widen and the realization hits me. It 7:45! I have to be in school in fifteen minutes. If I'm tardy again this week I get definition for three days, my dance coach would kill me. I quickly jump out of bed and I'm about to shake Abigail awake when I realize that she's gone at school because she had to go early for some cheerleading practice.

I race into my bathroom and skip taking a shower, my hair looks scraggly and ugly so I quickly brush through it and put it in a messy bun on top of my head, then I brush my teeth, pull on a plain black baggy hoodie, a pair of skinny jeans, and some ugg boots.

I run out of the house, looking for my car only to come up empty, suddenly remembering that fact that I had let my friend borrow the car cause I thought I'd be riding with Abigail, she must have forgotten...crap.

What am I supposed to do? I hear the sound of a door closing shut at the house beside mine. I look over to see Jake walking outside towards his motorcycle.

Ah crud. As soon as I saw him I knew my only chance of getting to school on time today was by getting a ride with him, and thanks to my whole coffee fiasco yesterday, it wasn't going to be easy.

I slowly, reluctantly, let out a sigh before I walk over to Jake's house. He's sitting down onto his bike as I'm approaching.

"Heyyy" I greet lamely.

He looks over at me, as soon as his eyes meet mine they flare with anger. Oh crap. This definitely was not going to be easy.

"What do you want?" He snaps.

"I uh" I start to fidget with my hands "I didn't get very much sleep last night because I've been imagining all these crazy things and so I was all freaked out, so whenever my alarm went off, I turned it off telling myself I'd get up in a second, but those seconds turned to minutes. A lot of minutes. And by the time I woke up I only had fifteen minutes to get ready, I got ready as fast as I could and ran out the door but then I remembered that I didn't have my car cause my friend has my car. And you see mom is already gone at work, and Abigail is already at school. I don't really have a ride and was really hoping that maybe you could bring me to school? Just this once?" I ask. That whole thing came out so fast and jumbled that I really hoped he understood it because I didn't want to repeat all of that again.

He leans back on his motorcycle as he studies me. I uncomfortably wiggle under the pressure of his electirc blue eyes.

"And what exactly do I get out of this?"

"Umm my gratitude?" I offer weakly and he gives me a look. I let out an exasperated sigh.
"I don't know. What do you want?" I ask, flinging my arms out dramatically, too exhausted for this.