Chapter 2

His green eyers skimmed his phone, scrolling down his schedule. "What's your first class?" He signed, I glanced at my schedule. "Advanced Language Arts, like always." I smirked, causing him to I assume laugh. "Animation and Art, like always." Now Marco blushed sheepishly, never fond of letting others look at his animations. When we used to go on vacation, and couldn't FaceTime to talk to each other he'd email me ASL animations, all I could do was send a video of me replying. He was really quite good at realistic animation, even if he didn't think so. The heavy scent of perfume filled my nose, making me cough uncontrollably. Glancing around, I saw Blaire Ringer and her entourage following her past everybody into the school. Her beautiful black hair in a nice braided bun, in a gray romper with yellow wedges. Idiot, she was gonna fall and break her ankle. But she never has, which just makes her all the more annoying. Marco's hands came into my view, "Don't mind her, okay? Whenever you're around her you just mope around and... I don't like the taste of that." He smiled, his eyes gentle and kind but even with his puppy eyes I couldn't help but see the little brat. "Excuse me, she always comes at my throat like a wild dog." I signed, and made a hanging motion with my hands. "Still, you don't have to listen to her." He said, and leaned against the hood of his car. That made me angry. "Marco, that's all I can do!" I signed rapidly back, narrowing my eyes. Seeing he somehow offended me, he shook his head, and didn't sign to me after that. "Sorry for that." I signed. He just stood there for a second, and then nodded. "My bad, I shouldn't have said anything." He signed, and rubbed his head. Great, Marco now I felt bad.

"No you were right. Sometimes what people say just hits me hard for no reason." I signed again, he just nodded. "Me too... Sometimes you're rough about it though, but the honey never disappears." He half smiled, and half just felt what he said was true. I know I can be mean sometimes but I can't help it. Every now and again it just strikes me funny and I can't help but be angry. Never once have I seen Marco get mad at me for saying something, but he does express himself when I get on his nerves. Cooly and calmly he'll just sign something like "you know, that's something that maybe you shouldn't say to me. I don't want to be mean but that hurts." or something like that. He's always so honest, he's the one steady thing I have in my life. "Marco, you can always tell me when I'm being a jerk." I said, as we began to walk into school. He chuckled. "If I did that, I wouldn't have time to say anything else!" He joked, and I lightly punched him in the arm, making him flinch.

"Why isn't it the dumb deaf!" Crap. Blaire Rigger fixed a stray lock of perfect hair, striding up to me and Marco. I just signed for her to buzz off, but she just laughed and mimicked my hands, mocking me. I chose not to speak, I haven't in forever. "What, no whitty comeback?" She only looked at me, she'd never met Marco as far as I knew. He moved here just a few years ago. "Thought so! Britt, do you know if she's just deaf or a mute too? Because so far, it looks to be that she's all around stupid!" I imagined her laugh was wicked and cruel. Turning to go, she whipped me back around and I glanced up at Marco. His eyes were cold, face angry, fists clenched. Before Blaire could finish her insults, he stepped in front of me. "And who a--" Blaire cut herself off when she saw Marco's face. "Who's this hottie?" She bat her eyelashes. Marco stood stone still, and raised an eyebrow. And for the first time in ever, I saw his mouth open. "Marco." He said it out loud. "And that voice! Eek, shivers down my spine!" Blaire was such an idiot of a flirt. "Are you gonna shut up about my friend?" Marco asked, folding his arms. Blaire giggled, "make me, handsome." Her perfect smile annoyed the crap out of me. Then out of nowhere, Marco leaned down and kissed her. Right on the lips. My insides murdered her. Marco let her go and then raised an eyebrow again.

"Heh," Blaire waved her face off pretending it was hot. "You earned her a free day, Marco. By the way, you're too good of a kisser to be hanging around her." With a flick of her hair, Blaire and her friends were gone. My mouth was agape when Marco turned around, his same old neutral look on his face. "What.The.Heck?" I was shocked. I didn't know Marco would ever kiss anybody, let alone a brat like her. He shrugged, not breaking his natural look. "She was gonna taunt you. I couldn't stand and do nothing." He went back to signing. "So logically, you kissed her? Marco you don't even know her." I folded my arms. "I knew her well enough off the bat she wouldn't of left if I had asked nicely. Sorry, Abira. I couldn't let her get to you like that, I wouldn't have done anything if I saw she was a better person. But it tasted too much like lemons to be anything but a cruel girl." He smiled, of course I had to as well. Whenever he talked about "hearing" emotions, it made me smile.