Chapter 32

What did he just call me? A "toy." A boy toy. If you don't know what that means, I'll give the simplest most not descriptive answer ever. It means a boy uses a girl to get... Well... "Something" out of her and then up and leave her forever.

I was no toy and defiantly not to be toyed with. This boy was going to get an earful from me and probably a kick in the crotch. Hey maybe he and Max can be balless buddies after me! Before I could storm forward, Jasper grabbed the guy's arm and twisted it so far back around, if I could hear anything there very well could've been a snapping sound.

Squinting my eyes to avert them from the clear pain the boy was in, my eyes spotted a few other girls and boys that were standing behind the one guy. Their mouths were wide open with shock and I looked up at Marco who shared their expression. Jasper had his teeth grit as he continued to turn the boy's arm backwards around his back.

"Stay the heck away," Jasper connected his knee to the boy's torso and it looked like it sent a lot of pain through the guy. "From me and my friend." Jasper pushed the boy over onto hit back and stood over him. Jasper turned to me and his eyes were cold and heartless. They softened when he focused on me. He took a step towards me, but Marco blocked him.

"Calm down before you hurt somebody else." Marco signed and Jasper just looked at him for a second. "I'm fine." Jasper corrected him and tried to step towards me again when Marco grabbed his shoulder and turned him back around. "Shut up," Marco signed.

"Excuse me?" Jasper narrowed his eyes at Marco. What was happening to them? The boys I knew didn't act like this, never around me nor had I ever heard of them doing something like this. "I said shut up." Marco signed again. "You aren't going near her as long as your fuming." Marco looked stern, and full of concern as he signed.

Jasper gave Marco a dirty look but when his gaze fell to me his eyes softened. "You're right." Jasper finally said and only then did Marco move out of his way. I didn't know what to think after what I saw and out of indecision I stepped backwards. Jasper looked afraid that I did so, and he took a step back from me. "Are you okay?" He asked from the few feet away from me.

Still baffled, I just blinked a few times. Did I just see Jasper beat up another guy? No I didn't he was defending himself and me. "You going to just walk away like a coward?" The boy had come up next to Jasper. Have you ever seen a movie where the eyes go from normal to like fight mode? That's what his eyes did. From their inviting and sympathetic emotional color, to cold and unforgiving.

"Call me coward one more time and you won't be able to talk let alone taunt." Jasper turned back to the boy and Marco protectively stepped in front of me, his arm restraining me from interfering. "Big talk for a little man." It's true, the boy was a little taller than Jasper but it's not like Jasper couldn't handle himself. That for sure I knew.

"Cut you crap, Leo." Jasper turned to go but 'Leo' turned him back around. "Oh come on Jasper! You used to love getting into fights, remember? All those times behind the school, man. You were cool then, a real man." The boy kept taunting and I feared that Jasper would lose it all together if it kept happening.

No. Jasper was better than this. Pushing myself past Marco I grabbed Jasper by the shoulder, turning him towards me. "Let's go," I said and tried to pull him away but he didn't move. "Jasper!" I called into his ear, making him startle his attention to me. "Let's leave. Now." I tried to sound demanding and stern but I have no idea how I really sounded.

"Abira this isn't--" He never called me Abira all that often until now. "Jasper," I repeated and put my hands on his face to turn it towards me. "Let's go back to my place okay?" I wanted him out of there, now. No matter what happened I wanted that to be done with and him to get out of there. Jasper's eyes locked into mine, and they softened.

"You don't have to." He said, and i knew all those other kids were staring and probably whispering but I didn't care. "I want this done." I said. Jasper slowly nodded and I began to lead him away when I felt a tug from him. Leo had grabbed his shoulder.

"What, you let her tie you down now? Man you're such a freaking kind hearted idiot now aren't you? When I knew you, you were a ladies man guy, cool guy. Guy who got into trouble for fun! Heck, everybody called you Jasper Suave Runt for years. What happened to that Jasper?" I wanted to think Leo was joking and taunting Jasper, but when I searched his eyes for a trace of  lying... I really couldn't find anything.

Yanking Jasper's arm I was able to pull him forward towards me a few steps. "You won't give us the time of day, will you Jasper?" Leo crossed his brawny arms over his buff chest  and looked Jasper in the eye. "Hey Katie, Marie, would you come here for a second?" Leo called to the side, and the two girls that were standing over there walked up, I felt Jasper's hand tense around my own.

"You won't even talk to me, Jasper?" The red head girl with the freckles bat her eyelashes, and I wanted to slap her. They didn't deserve to taunt him like this, let alone bring girls into it. Jasper's eyes softened as he looked between the two of them, and confusion took over. "Come on, we know you want to say something, we know that look. Just leave the little wench behind and come with the rest of us." The blonde girl with the clearly overdone eyelashes chimed in.

"You aren't dating her, are you? Because she clearly doesn't know you." The first girl said and now I was getting angry. I wasn't going to intervene with them, this was Jasper's fight even though I wanted to help him. Jasper let go of my hand and crossed his arms at the girls.

He looked at the rest of the  group of teens and then back to them. "You all should've stayed in California." He said and I'm pretty sure added a curse in there by the looks on there faces. Jasper turned to me, walking past me and grabbing my hand on the way.

He lead me to Marco, dropped my hand, and kept walking. Where was he going? Marco tapped my shoulder, and gestured to the group of angry and embarrassed teenagers. "Let's go," I said and Marco nodded as he took my hand into his and started leading me away from there. He quickly let it go as soon as we were a good distance away and we both started to look where Jasper went.

"Is he okay? That looked tense." Marco signed and all I could do was shrug. I didn't know if Jasper would be okay after that, he didn't even look at me when he walked away. "Well what do you want to do?" Marco probably knew that I would want to try to find him but felt like he should ask.

Rubbing a hand through my bangs, my mind wandered. What the heck were those guys talking about? And Jasper mentioned California, and I've never seen them here before. Plus why were they giving him such a hard time? He was so sweet and all, but the things that they said kept haunting me.

"I'm... Not sure..." I mumbled my indecision speaking. "You know what, Marco... Jasper will text me if he needs to talk about what happened. I'm with you right now, let's just... Hang out for the time being, okay?" It seemed like too much to talk to Jasper about what happened, he seemed angry. He needed time to cool off and think everything over, everybody needs that.

Marco smiled at me and nodded. "Well where to?" He asked signing and I gave another shrug for my reply. "I'll go anywhere right now." I said and Marco went into thought.

"You're place and hang out?" He offered and I gladly accepted. "Catching up sounds great.... Marco... What did you make out of all of that?"  I asked and he went blank for a second. He lifted his hands, dropped them, and then lifted them again. "Confusing." He signed finally and I raised my eyebrows. He was lying to me.

"Tell me the truth." I ordered and he just shook his head slowly, and lifted his hands again. "It's just that I figured that would've proven to you why I don't like him, why he seems off a bit... But if you don't..." Marco kept stopping his signs and then starting a new sentence like he just couldn't find the words.

"If you just saw that, how do you know he's safe? By that I mean safe for you and for himself. They didn't look like people who just drop it after once they're denied.... Abira please just think about it before you go and see him again, okay?" Marco put his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye.

"Okay," I couldn't say no, he had a good point about Jasper. Wait, no he didn't. Jasper would never do anything. But then again, what if he did? No! It was those kids playing with my mind about those lies that they spread about him, they were lies. They were lies. They had to be lies. Those were lies.