Chapter 13

The ride ended when Jasper pulled into a what looked like a fairly sized Cafe. I didn't catch the name, not until he parked us. I was a little disappointed that I was too scared to open my eyes and see everything go by until towards the end of the ride.

I took off the helmet and waited for him to take it. Jasper took off his helmet and ran his hands through his messy hair to try and calm it down. It looked good sorta messy. He turned around and took my helmet, strapping it to the handlebars. I smiled just because it was so fun, and how the crisp air had bit at my face the whole ride. I love Autumn, it's so beautiful. But not as great as winter.

Jasper turned and saw me smiling and stared at me, and smiled back. "You're too adorable when you smile," He said and got off his bike, offering me a hand. I got off by myself, but nodded at him to let him know thanks. The sign on the front said SOPHIE'S CAFE and looked extremely nice.

Jasper offered his hand to me, but I shook my head. "Oh come on, sweet pea, you already hugged me on the bike." He joked and i snapped my fingers in his face, making him laugh harder. Whether I  heard it or not, I know he has a nice laugh. Genuine. something really makes him laugh. You don't find that everywhere you look anymore.

"Okay, okay..." He went silent for a minute as we started walking towards the doors but soon a smile crept onto his face. "You did hug me though," He said and now I whacked him upside the head. "hey!" He said, and started to laugh again. "Order whatever, I know what I want." He said as we walked in. Looking around, I really liked the feel of this place.

The walls were a warm grey, there was the booth seating area and then it looked like in the second area looked like a ton of bean bag chairs and blankets. A really chill place. He walked up to the counter and I trotted up behind him to order. Looking up at the signs that hung above the cash registers I saw one of my favorite drinks; an iced almond coffee! Jasper  was looking at me when I turned back to him and the lady working there.

I sheepishly smiled and pointed at the almond coffee. Jasper looked down at the floor, his hair falling in his face  as he shook his head laughing at me. "And she'll get the iced almond coffee." He said for me. He got out his wallet and I grabbed his wrist.

"I got it,"  He said and I shook my head. "Let me do this and you can owe me, okay?" He asked and finally I gave in nodding. He pulled out cash and handed it to her. I pulled out my phone and  typed something and handed it to Jasper.

Thank you! And he smiled back at me. "Totally, Abira. Count on me, sweet pea." He said and started walking over to the seats. I just rolled my eyes, and followed him.

Don't call me sweet pea, okay? I handed him my phone, he looked at it but just smirked and kept walking. "Where do you wanna sit, the booth or on the bean bags?" He asked and I readily ran over to the bean bags and hurled myself forward and landed on top of them giggling. I looked back at Jasper who stood their with his mouth open, like I'd just jumped a river. 

I sat up on all of the cushy bean bags aligned altogether and waved him over while I giggled. He pointed to himself and said "me?" and looked behind him jokingly. I nodded, still giggling. He looked around him and jumped onto the bean bags next to me, which made me go in the air for a second. I fell backwards laughing and he did the same.

"For somebody so quiet, you know how to have a good time!" He said and put his hands behind his head and laid down. "Oh, coffee's done," He said and started to sit up. I put my hand in front of him to say I'd get it, but he said he'd get it. I wouldn't let up and he looked at me. "Okay, make me let you get the coffee." He said smirking. I laughed and looked at him like he was crazy.

"Seriously i'll go get them if you don't make me stay," He said and kept trying to get up. I sat in front of him on the abundance of bean bag chairs and put both of my hands on his shoulders. Hey, I wanted to get the coffees. Pushing with all my strength I got him to go backwards, and he started laughing.

"Okay, okay. Fine." When he said that I jumped up and jogged to get the coffees. When I returned I handed him his coffee and I flopped back onto the bean bags next to him. "You seriously got an iced coffee on a crisp day like this? Yeesh, Abira!" He said, holding his warm coffee.

It's amazing! I typed on my phone and handed it to him, and his smile disappeared momentarily.  I raised an eyebrow and tapped his shoulder. Jasper regained his smile. Man that boy seemed to have a smile plastered on his entire life. "I just think sometimes... Never mind. So, hows the coffee?" He sat his down on a table next to him and laid down onto all the bean bags. I sipped on the straw and felt the cold drink trickle down my throat. Smiling I nodded. I pointed to his and then to him.

"It's good, it's a strawberry vanilla coffee." Jasper said, and when he looked back at me my mouth was watering. That sounded delicious! Amazing, actually. "Do you want some?" He laughed and took the lid off his coffee. Nodding, I took a clean straw from the baskets near us on a table and stuck it into his coffee. I sipped and instead of the cooling almond like mine, his was warm and fuzzy feeling.

I felt my vocal cords tingle as I made a 'mmmm' sound. Jasper gave his dashing smile again, and I couldn't help but smile back. Laying down on the bean bags I wanted so badly to just thank him out loud, but to be honest it scares me to do so. What if he thinks my voice  sounds awful? Some people think just because people are deaf, it means they can't talk right.

It's so wrong, so far from the truth. We talk like everybody else, just a little bit differently. That's like saying somebody with a deep voice, is wrong because they themselves have a lighter voice. "Abira?" Jasper turned towards me and his face was serious. I nodded for him to speak. "Why don't you... Talk to anybody? To me?" He looked sincere. Why'd he have to ask that? Why now? Of all times?

I needed courage but couldn't find any in myself. I needed to be brave but I was weak. Slowly my fingers trembled, but he awaited me to respond somehow. I handed him my coffee. Just tell him. If only it was that easy.

"Jasper, I'm deaf." I signed, and his eyes widened.