Chapter 23

"I might faint," He said, and with the biggest shock I'd ever seen on his face he looked from me to the ground. "Never mind, too far down." He commented, while I was still frozen in the shock of what I'd just done. Jasper returned his gaze to me, his mouth still dropped open.

"Oh my god," Jasper said with one exhale and let me out of the hug to look me straight in the eye. "Did you just...?" He seemed like his breath had been stolen from him. My mind was running wild, like I'd committed a crime and yet made the best decision ever in the history of my life. And not because I'd agreed to go with him, because of something else I did.

Jasper put his hands on my shoulders and gently shook me back and forth. "You just spoke to me." A smile took over his face, as did one of my own but mine was more worry and shock. "You just opened your mouth and spoke to me of all people, Abira. As in you spoke to me. Right here, and now." Jasper's surprise was still plastered onto his face like a little boy just got handed a million toys.

My vocal cords tingled from the long neglected use of them. I had just spoken to Jasper for the first time, and the first time I'd actually spoken to anybody but Marco in years. As if this was like the first time my body had ever let me talk, I felt new and scared. What if Jasper only liked the quiet girl who never could really speak her mind?

Jasper must've yelled into the wind, because he was jumping on the branch with his mouth open. "Say something else!" He said and took my hands into his with a huge smile on his face. My brain went blank. What else was there to say?

"You mean you're okay with it?" I signed as I spoke to reassure myself I was actually talking the correct words. "Are you kidding me? Abira you're voice is beautiful!" He looked so sure, and I felt my hands tingle and electricity shoot through me again but I tried to submerge the feeling.

"I've never had anybody tell me that before." I solemnly replied and Jasper picked my head up to look at him, his finger's raising my chin. "Then you need better friends sweet pea!" He started laughing and I felt a real smile come to my face too.

Okay. Have you ever felt like the world started to make sense after you did something you thought was stupid? Like everything is slowly falling into place even though you know that in real life everything is in shambles? As if somebody made you feel like a fantasy started taking place? Take all those things and put yourself there with somebody you never thought you'd like--Boom. That was the moment I was having.

"It's only 6:00 and I've only been with you since 4:30 and I already feel like my world is on a roller coaster," Jasper said still laughing and bouncing up and down as we stood on the branch. I felt my laugh combine with his in the air, and form one happy moment.

"We better start heading back though," I hated to ruin the moment but I was already in enough trouble with my family. Nodding his head, he told me to wait there while he climbed down. Jasper disappeared into the tree below and I started to try and shimmy my way down too. Looking below me about six feet, Jasper stood waiting down below.

I shouldn't have looked down, and my feet slipped making me lose my grip all together. I felt myself falling, and fear took over. Sure it was only a good six feet but the first time that I fell out of something I lost my hearing all together. Before my own thoughts could run too far out, I felt a grasp around me.

Looking up, Jasper had caught me and was smiling at me. "Tsk, tsk, tsk, clumsy, clumsy, clumsy. You know if we keep doing all of this falling on and into each other's arms, we're going to break out in a Disney song." He set me down and I nodded.