Chapter 36

Sunday came faster than I thought it would.

My parents had agreed to meet up with Jasper today and let's be honest. I'm nervous as heck. Somehow they could find a way to see something bad about him. Even the way he dresses could set them off against him. Or he rides a motorcycle. I'm worrying too much, I shouldn't worry about my parents. I should worry about how I could turn things around if they did start heading South.

We decided just to meet over dinner, I know cliche, but it was my parents idea and they are pretty cliche about these things. Whatever this needed my full attention. "We're leaving in an hour!" My mother said entering my room. "I know, I know." I said and sighed.  "Aren't you excited?" She asked as she put in her earrings. "For you to totally judge one of my best friends? Gee that sounds exciting." I rolled my eyes. My mother opened her mouth to speak but quickly closed it and left the room.

I felt nervous for a different reason too. It felt like Jasper and I were going on a date or something. I know that's not it at all, but the way everything was going it sure felt like it. The feeling of me having to look my best, be all kind and nice, making a good impression.

Looking myself over in the mirror, there was work to be done. I'd been in my pajamas all day and hadn't bothered to do more to my hair than throw it up in a messy bun. "It's not a date, calm down." I said it out loud to try and reassure myself. That didn't make anything less worrisome. I still had to sit at a dinner with my parents to try and convince them of Jasper. Walking myself to my bathroom, I turned the shower water to hot.

The water poured over my skin and relaxed my muscles, which I probably needed. When I got out my black robe was drenched from water dripping from my hair. Reaching over to grab my blow dryer, I nearly dropped my phone that I had just grabbed from my bed. Clumsiness, check. At least I had one thing, right? Right...

By the time my hair was blown dry, I'd already gone through thirty minutes of getting ready. Thirty minutes to go. Jogging into my room my phone buzzed before I could fully open my closet.

Are you as nervous as I am? Jasper.

Yes, duh.

I thought I'd text you. I don't know what to dress like, are your parents formal or casual? I probably sound like a girl right now about what to wear but I'm nervous.

You're right, you do sound like a worried girl. My parents are fairly formal. My mom will probably be in a dress or something stupid like that. My dad will probably be in a formal/casual outfit. Just be you! Seriously please just be you so it's not weird for me.

Fiiiiiiine. I'll see you guys there!

Great. Even Jasper was ready and I wasn't. But to be honest I felt a little better that there was somebody else as nervous as me. Usually I could be totally alone in these things. Now what to wear? Typically, I don't care what others think I look as long as I feel comfortable or good in those clothes. But this felt really different. My parents would be pretty dressed up and if we were in public I didn't want to be the odd one out.

Jasper would probably be in his usual type of clothes, so why shouldn't I? Okay here goes nothing.
-----
"Ready?" My mom asked. "As I'll ever be. Is this too formal or...?" I felt myself trail off. She looked me up and down, as a smile came over her lips. "No! It's just I've never seen you so... Mature. Usually honey you just wear what you come across. But this is just so beautiful," My mother stopped talking. Was she choking up?

"Mom this isn't a date, you know that right? You're literally going to see if I can go on a trip." I tried to reassure her and she just waved it off. "I know sweetheart. I know." She wiped her eyes and regained her usual look. "We're leaving, your father and I will be in the car. Chris is going to stay and finish his homework." She strut out of the room.

Homework? Yeah sure. That sounds so much like my brother. Not. Grabbing my phone I glanced around the room to make sure I didn't leave anything behind. Grabbing a denim jean jacket, I slid my phone into the pocket and jogged down the stairs. Here we go... Lord I hope Jasper's ready for all of this. Heck! I hope I'm ready for all of this!