Chapter 43

We walked in silence back into the house where Rose and Nick were still watching T.V.

"Do you kids want some cocoa?"  She offered turning around to face us. I gave her a wave and a head shake saying, "No thank you, I'm gonna head to bed pretty quickly." Thanking Rose, she asked Jasper if he wanted any. He looked at me and back at her, saying something I  didn't catch.

Apparently he also said no to cocoa because when I started up the stairs he followed. Reaching for my current bedroom door knob, I froze when I processed everything. Turning around, Jasper was standing there looking down at his feet. He lifted his head and a sheepish smile spread across his face. It soon faded when he saw I didn't return it.

"Did we make a mistake?" His eyes were shiny again. Shaking my head, I bit my bottom lip. "No. I don't think we did." I said, pulling at a lock of my hair like I sometimes do when I'm nervous. He ran a hand through his hair, making blush want to heat up my face. "Okay." Was all he said before I opened my door.

Before I could walk in his gentle grasp came around my wrist. Turning around Jasper's eyes locked into mine.  He stood there looking at me for what seemed like an eternity until he finally laid a gentle kiss on my forehead.  "Goodnight," By the way his breath ran over my face he was whispering it. Stepping forward I wrapped my arms around him in a hug.

He must've been taken back by the suddenness of it but his arms soon came around me. His warm embrace was soothing. We pulled away and both felt a bit awkward, staring away from each other for a bit. Jasper put his hand under my chin and turned it towards me. "I'll see you tomorrow." His eyes were still shiny but I think for a different reason.

"Tomorrow," I confirmed and closed my door behind me.  Leaning against the close door, I exhaled deeply and closed my eyes. Everything seemed different. For good or worse I'm not sure but something was different. The way we looked at each other now. It wasn't just the fantasy, it was magic along with the fantasy. Like a long lost fable from long ago revived in us today.

Making my way to the bed I got in the cozy covers and pulled out my phone. My screen saver needed an update, right now it was a picture of me and Marco when we were kids.  Sure I love that picture but I've used it since I had this phone, maybe a new one is in order?

Memories rushed back to me about that day. We were at the water park, probably only like nine years old or something. Marco was in his swim trunks and me in my first bikini. I remember being so happy that my mom let me wear a bikini, those were the days were I got excited over a piece of candy. Marco in the picture was smiling his one missing tooth in the front smile, while I already my my grown up front teeth. In the picture we were hugging. So cute, back then.

There was another kid in the picture originally, but I ended up cropping her out of it for my screen saver. I know that's terrible but we have the real photo back at home, and to be honest I haven't seen that girl in years. We had a bit of a falling out and I guess it just never mended. And besides, me and Marco was enough in that screen saver.  Life was so simple as a little kid, I feel so old when I say that.

But it was. It really, really was. Scrolling through a few photos starting from the oldest to the newest, I found one I really didn't remember. Say what?  It was of Marco, and a girl. But I wasn't the girl. Most of my pictures that had him in it were of us but this one wasn't.

The girl had blonde hair cut in a bob cut, with crystal blue eyes. They were looking at each other. And Marco was looking at her so... Differently. And they looked happy in that picture, more happy that I've seen him in a long time. I swear I know her, or knew her.

Candice! That's her name. Oh my gosh how could I forget her? She was Marco's old girlfriend about two years ago. She was so sweet and kind, like candy to everybody. I don't know why I still have this picture, Marco would probably freak out. Candice turned out to dump him after a few months of them dating. They never kissed, hardly hugged, but it seemed like Marco really liked her.