Chapter 42

A/N: Watch the video AFTER the chapter for a better feel of it!

The rest of the day had flown by fast.

Jasper promised that tomorrow he'd take me around California, to beaches and stuff. The first day he'd already said he would help his aunt and uncle, which is understandable.  Checking my phone for any messages, at a quick glance it was eight at night and the sky had began to darken.

Hey mom! Tell everybody I said 'hi' and that I'm good here. Cali is amazing! Goodnight! I shot a text to my parents from on my bed, my eyes getting heavy.

Before I shut off my phone, I remembered I had to text somebody else; Marco.

Hey! How are you Marco?

Hey Abira. I'm okay, school was LONG. How's your vacation? Marco.

Amazing so far! I even tried to ride a horse, not very well but I tried.

A horse? You never seemed like the type. Points for you for trying something out of the ordinary for you. I know it's only been a day but seriously I miss you like crazy. It's weird not having my best friend around.

You know you can text me anytime, right?  In fact can you FaceTime?

Yeah sure! One second let me get to a quiet place.

I know what you're thinking--We're deaf everywhere is a quiet place. By that Marco really means where he can be alone to chat. Sometimes at his house as you know it's hard to find a good place to talk, which is sad if you ask me.

"Hello Miss Abira," Marco smiled as he answered the phone on FaceTime.

"Hey Marco!  How are you? For real, I mean."  I signed to make him more comfortable. He shrugged and glanced around whatever room he was in. I wouldn't know, he never let me come over. I suppose in fear of me seeing something go down, but to be honest I don't think that could ever drive me away from Marco. He's my best friend.

"As good as I can be." He signed. My eyebrows pressed together as I tried to get a read on his face, but it was all neutral. "What's that mean?" I asked in sign, and Marco gave the room another glance around. "They got into another fight." He gave in, knowing I wouldn't stop until I got an answer.

"They got into another fight, or did you enter another fight of theirs?" I had to get him to be clear. Marco was such a good person he would step in and do anything, and have himself endure anything. Marco went silent as far as signing goes and just looked down for a long time. Finally he looked up with tears in his eyes.

"No this was the one time I wasn't there," His hands were trembling as he signed. "The one time I wasn't there, and he did it again. How stupid can I be? I saw the way he was acting before school but I just didn't think about it. I come home to all this... Everything..." Marco started to have tears roll down his cheeks as his hands shook so badly I could barely understand.

"That's not your fault," Why wasn't I there?  The one time I'm not home for him something happens. The stupid luck of us. "And it's not hers either!"  He retorted, almost angry. He was talking about his mother. "She doesn't deserve this! Nobody does!  I wish I was there, I wish I was there to protect her...If only...There's not..." His hands were shaking so badly I only got a few signs here and there. Why does he never tell me things unless I tell him to?

"Marco listen to me. You can't keep picking up their pieces," I began and this time I was actually speaking. He raised his hands but I held up my own to stop him. "You can't  keep picking up their pieces so pick up the dang phone." My message was clear. He couldn't live like this anymore, and neither could she. Marco's lips were trembling, like he wanted to say something but just couldn't. "You're always so silent. For once in your life speak Marco,"