Chapter 30

Crap, Stacy didn't know either! Was she mad?

"Abira..." She growled and I had to tell her, she was my sister.

"Jasper invited me to go up to his relative's place in California." I blurted and Stacy's eyes widened.

"What did you say?" She seemed to be very in tune to know. Running a hand through my hair I pursed my lips and prepared for her reaction. "I said yes," I replied and Stacy rubbed her forehead. "That's how  he got you to talk, huh? Abira you need to tell me right now if he's forcing you to do anything." She leaned forward.

"What? No, Stacy! Why does everybody think he's so bad? It was my choice to talk to him and it's my choice to go with him! I just don't know if our parents will let me go," Everybody thinks Jasper is 'so bad' and I cant tell why! He's amazing, and doesn't deserve what people think about him.

"Okay, okay, calm down. I won't judge before I know, that's being hypocritical of me. So tell me about him, any siblings, that kind of thing. And why the heck California?" Great now she was asking me questions. At least she dropped him not being good.

"His name is Jasper Runt, or I guess he has a second last name too. He grew up with his aunt and uncle in California, rides horses, that type of thing. He's really, really sweet. And I feel like myself around him like I've known him forever. Sibling wise he has a step brother named Max I think? Total  jerk who acts nothing like Jasper but--" I was starting to rant when Stacy cut me off.

"Max what? What's his last name?" Stacy went from listening to me, to extremely serious. "Blonde hair? Tall?" She acted like she knew him. Nodding my head Stacy narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't go to California, stay away from him." She suddenly said and I was shocked.

"Excuse me?" I furrowed my eyebrows and she searched for words. "I know Max, Abira. He's gotten arrested like seven times in the past five years. If Jasper is his step brother he can't be any better!" She looked worried and angry all rolled into one. Whereas I just  was plain mad at her for saying something like that.

"Just because Max is a jerk, doesn't mean that Jasper is!" I hissed, making Stacy lower her eyes at me.

    "Excuse me, I'm trying to help you! Did you listen to me, Abira? He's been in jain before! Whose to say that Jasper isn't like him?" Stacy's words stung me like the crisp winter air outside.

"Drop it, drop it now." I wasn't going to listen to somebody tell me Jasper wasn't a good person. I've seen him get angry but everybody does and everybody has faults and faults have actions behind them. He would've told me, I know he would've. Jasper was a good person, I know he is.

"Fine, whatever. I won't stop you maybe this guy is better than I give him credit for. Just watch him okay?" She leaned forward and I was about to object when she held up a spindly finger.

"Don't talk. I'm not asking you to watch him for you or for me. I'm telling you to watch him for his own sake, so you know when to get the heck away from him the second he does something you don't like. Understand me?" Stacy looked like she was being demanding with me to probably everybody else around us, but I knew she meant well now that she said that.

"Thanks, Stacy, for listening." I dipped my finger in my cup of coffee and spun it around. She smiled at me, her sarcastic and snarky self returning with the passing moments. "So what's up with you?" I wanted to know everything with her. Stacy inhaled to speak, and then shut her mouth.

"I'm staying with Dustin, I was considering coming back to the house to get my things. Regret is always at the back of my mind but... I know I made the right decision. Leaving was good for me, and I'm sorry I left you to deal with it. But moving in with Dustin was the best choice I could ever made. I'm twenty years old in a few days, I'm a legal adult it's time I start acting like it." She seemed really stressed to tell me about it, but happy overall.

Placing my hand on hers, I had her attention. "Don't feel bad for me, Stacy. You did what you felt was right. But moving in with Dustin? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Not going to lie, I was pretty skeptical.

"As sure as I've ever been-- Uh, do you mind if," Her eyes darted around. "Dustin's in the car outside. I, I mean we, need to tell you something and I want him to be here for you to talk to us both. And for sure I don't want to drop something on you making me sound all happy when you seem so down. Mind if he comes in?" She tapped her one hand nervously tapped the table.

"Um, if you think he needs to be here for this then do it." Blunt and to the point, she took out her phone after I spoke.

A moment later the door came open again and Dustin slid in next to her, giving me a warm smile. His hand wrapped around mine and he pulled it towards his lips, and clearly saw the uncomfortable expression I had. Her nervously smiled and placed my hand back before he ever kissed it. Good, he's learning.

"Okay what's up?" I was worried and nervous for what they were going to tell me. "Okay so... I don't know how exactly to tell you this..." Stacy began and exchanged nervous glances with Dustin.

"You're sister's trying to tell you that a few months ago, I asked that if when she turned twenty if she would marry me." Dustin said for her, and I felt my hands go numb.

Color draining from myself, I thumped my back against the booth cushion. They weren't engaged. No, not yet! Stacy placed the hand she hadn't been using on the table, showing me the rock she now wore on her finger. They were engaged.

"O-Oh," I felt my throat stutter as I gulped and ran a nervous shaky hand through my bangs. "Yeah... But we decided to wait until everything is sorted." That brought comfort... Barely.

"Oh thank goodness!" I let the words escape my lips and they both looked shocked. "I don't mean that like don't get married it's just... I don't want you to just up and leave. But I mean, I'm happy for you!" Am I? It was almost like she was rubbing it in my face even though she really wasn't.

"Thank you, Abira." Stacy looked really happy and took Dustin's hand into her own. Suddenly they both looked down and Stacy pulled out her phone.

"Crap! I've got to head to work. Abira text me whenever you need to talk, okay?" Stacy wrapped her hand around mine and I couldn't help but nod. They both stood up and I followed them to the door. Stacy hugged me and I wrapped my arms around her. We said our goodbyes and she walked out to the car and before I could leave too, Dustin tapped my shoulder.

"I want to ask you something," He said, glancing over to where Stacy was still walking. Nodding for him to continue, he smiled. "I want your blessing for me to marry Stacy. I know the guys are supposed to ask the father and all but... I felt like I should as you too." His warm and minty breath hit my face like the cold air and I shuffled in my place.

I couldn't say no to that, who could? It was really sweet of him to ask me. "That's your guys' decision! You don't have to ask me, Dustin. Thanks for asking me, but if you two love each other that's all that I care about." I tried to be as heart felt as I could be, but it was kinda hard to be with Dustin. I didn't know him all that well.

Dustin took my hand into his and laid a kiss on top of it. "Thank you, Abira." He smiled at me, and then went to join Stacy in the car.