Chapter 34

Not you, sorry Jasper :) I hit send.

Oh please! Okay I'll just pretend I don't know. ;) Hey California is getting  closer. Jasper..

I'm excited to go, I have to go, I'll text you later  okay? My parents would be home soon and speaking of the trip I had to bring it up to  them.

Sure thing, sweet pea. Bye!

Closing everything up, I had to figure out a good way to even bring up the subject. This should be an adventure...
----
"Hey mom, dad?" I had waited until dinner to bring it up. Chris had been silent the whole meal, probably not wanting mom and dad to ask him anything.

"Yes sweetie?" My mother had tried to sound nicer to us kids after the whole thing with Stacy leaving. But come on we all know that's why it's not like she hide anything very well. She's a business woman, not a family woman. Sorry to say it, but it's the truth if I know anything.

"I need to talk to you guys about something." My words shook in my throat.

"Anything," She replied, running her fingers through her brown hair that matched mine.

"In about two weeks, for the weekend, I was wondering if I could go somewhere with a friend." Maybe if I kept it bland and in general they wouldn't be overly suspicious. I never really ask for anything from them, mostly because they're never here, so they should understand I  want to do this, right?

"Where?" My dad chimed in.

"Um," I felt the sound come out. "California." A nervous smile spread across my face. They didn't look as startled as I thought they'd be. Probably because they go on vacations so often.

"Okay..." My mother began. "With who?" Great. Why do parents always have to ask questions? I guess that was a question too, but still.

"My friend Jasper has family up there. Like a field trip you know?" They weren't buying it.

"A field trip to California?" My dad raised an eyebrow.

"Don't worry about Jasper if you are. He's a really nice guy." I tried to make Jasper sound how sweet that he actually is in real life. They would like him if they got to know him, probably. Maybe not due to the motorcycle and stuff but whatever, he's a good person.

"We don't.... We hardly know this boy. We don't know if he'll try to do anything to you." My mother said.

"Excuse me? Jasper would never do that!" I got defensive over him. Of all people, he wouldn't do that to me. He never would, there's just everybody who doesn't like him because of who they think he is and they don't even know him! "This proves how much you don't trust me." I sneered.

"It's that boy we don't trust." My father tried to reassure me, but clearly it didn't work.

"Then how about you meet him? Would you let me go if you liked him?" I was going on that trip. It meant a lot to me that somebody liked me for even though I'm deaf and they aren't. And the fact that he invited me made me more happy to be around him.

My parents exchanged looks with each other and said something I couldn't catch. They were looking between me and themselves, continuing to whisper. Finally they turned to me.

"If we like him good enough, we'll let you go. And I want full contact information with the family you'll be staying with. I don't know about your father but after what happened I think it's good to get out of this house once and awhile. It's good that you're branching out. Set up a day for us to  meet him and we'll  decide, okay?" Mother was the first to speak and my dad soon followed.

"And you cannot be mad if we don't like this boy. There's always one thing on their minds and I don't like it for my daughter." He said.

I had to be grateful that they were even considering this for me. "Thank you," I said and began to pick up the dishes. "I'll ask him when you can meet him. Probably sometime after school one day." I said. My parents nodded and continued to eat their dinner. Dinner was bland that night, just oriental salad  and chicken.

"Chris help your sister." My mother instructed and he looked from her to me. "I've got it." I said to try and cover our quarrel. We both should be over it by now but to me if seems bigger than what we think it to be. "No, help her." She insisted. Chris got up and began to clean up the rest of the dishes as I had started to wash them off in the sink.

He stood next  to me, and slowly put all the dishes into the sink for me to rinse off before the dishwasher. "Sorry," Chris said to me and I shrugged it off. "No biggie, we can't let everything get in the way." I signed so my parents wouldn't hear me.

-----
Hey can you FaceTime? I hit send on my phone and slid it into my pocket, awaiting an answer. I don't know how Jasper would take it getting to know my parents after his first time with them.

You know it :) 

Next thing I knew my phone was vibrating in my hands. "Hey Jasper!" I smiled as brightly as I could, and he repaid mine with his own. "Hey sweet pea! What's up?" His hair was messy, like he'd just gotten off his bike or something. "Well about California, that's whats up."

"Okay, shoot." He ran a hand through his messy hair, making me feel my cheeks turn pink with blush. "My parents didn't really like the idea of it to be honest."

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow. "But they said if they meet you and kind of, well, I guess 'approve' of you then they'll be okay with me going. And they want all contact information with your family there and all that." I said and Jasper nodded. "Sure, I'm pretty busy with Italian class in school for the next few days. But I mean after that maybe we could all just meet up?" He seemed pretty chill about it.

"Yeah, anything that'll let me go. I've been looking forward to it, and now I don't want to just bail on it. For you or for me, this just feels like something I really want to do." I said and he nodded at me knowingly. "How about this Sunday?" He offered, looking at a calendar in the kitchen of his house.

"I'll have to to ask but I think that would be okay. What are you up to?" I asked clearly curious. "Just at home, working on language stuff. I've got two languages I'm working on so that means a lot of studying on my part." He replied and turned his phone to show me all the papers he had sprawled out on the floor of I assume his bedroom.

"That looks like the most disorganized thing I have ever seen," I commented and he dropped his jaw open. "Excuse me it is very organized." He  replied and I rolled my eyes. "It looks like a mess to me."

"It's an organized mess, there, done. Same difference.The method works in my brain so make it work in there," He tapped his phone like he was tapping my head. "Whatever." It was a mess nonetheless to any pair of eyes other than Jasper's.

A/N: So I have books planned AFTER this book is finished, and here's kinda sorta the order of things if you'd want to know. If you don't you can go ahead and skip this author's note to the next chapter.
1) Deaf Defying [Current]
2) Information
3) Heaven Backwards
Then I have a series planned! Don't look for books listed 2&3 yet, they haven't been released. As these chapters go on I'll give you more information on them! The series that I am planning after 'Heaven Backwards' contains action, romance, humor, medieval times, that type of story. Read these author's notes if you want to see if you're interested in these upcoming books. Also- For Deaf Defying there is a HUGE special surprise that pertains to this list up there ^

Thanks for reading!

*^^*