Chapter 35

"I've been waiting all morning for lunch," Jasper said making me roll my eyes.

"Of course you have. Since breakfast? Pleases Jasper you and food! Is that all you think about at school, food?" I asked as we walked around outside the school. He shook his head with a big grin and pointed at me. What was that supposed to mean? "Nope. For you! Other than class this is really  only where I get to see you." Excuse me? He sees me all the time! Clingy, clingy, clingy, am I right?

"Seriously we video chat all the time, and hang outside of school. Isn't that enough for you, horse boy?" I gently elbowed him in the side, making him quickly return the favor but with a tickle. Feeling myself giggle and try to push him away, he tussled my hair around with his free hand. "That's because you miss me too much, sweet pea." He smiled his  ever-so-dashing smile, making his eyes glimmer with... With whatever they glimmered with. His eyes always had something about them I could never put my finger on.

"I just did my hair good! I never do it right, Jasper. The one time I look semi-presentable you mess up my hair? Dude. And I do not miss you for the record of anybody watching. Now because of you I look really stupid," I tried to fix my hair with my hands but it was no use. Into a sloppy pony tail it goes. Of course, per the usual. "Tsk not possible, sweet pea. Trust me there is nothing that could make you unattractive."

Shock. Pure shock. Jasper called me attractive. Or implied it, anyways. Either way he eluded to it and that's basically it. Returning my hands to my sides, I stopped  them and gave them a new position on my hips. "Did you just call me attractive?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well I didn't say ugly as--"

"I get it!" I cut him off. "Oh come on you know I wouldn't curse. I was going to simply say a nice word. 'Crap.'" His self defense was useless. "Oh because that's way better." I huffed. "Sweet pea is it wrong I said that? If you don't see it you must've never owned a mirror. Plus I bet every guy that's ever laid eyes on you thought 'oh my god, who the heck is that beauty?'"

"And how would you know that?" I questioned and took a bite of a scone I had in my lunch. "Because I too, believe it or not sweet pea, am a guy." I cupped my hand over my mouth like I was completely shocked. "No! Really?" I was unamused. "Oh yes, really," He placed a hand on my shoulder, while the other gestured like the world in front of us was new. "I know how they think. We? They? Me? Whatever you're a cutie, admit it." He played with his necklace and then tucked it back away.

"Oh shut up," I brushed that whole part of our conversation off. Jasper knows how to kid. "No really. Every guy, like, ever must've thought you were attractive one way or another. I know I did when I first saw you, or should I say caught you?" He reminded me of the first time we met. It wasn't fancy and it wasn't pretty. I slipped of a tube of lip stick, how dumb is that? "So you're saying you don't think that now? Gee thanks." I pressured him for even bringing up the conversation. He brought it on himself.

"No, you're still attractive. Just not in the way I first thought. Or to be more accurate, I should say not only the way I first thought. " I was surprised. If I had taunted Marco like that he would've turned red with blush. Jasper stayed calm and just flat out told me. Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing, either of them, but is it a good thing? I have no idea. All I know is that I was confused and knowing you're confused isn't really knowing anything at all. Dang, cryptic. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Jasper leaned on his bike and crossed his arms, looking at the ground for thoughts. After probably a few minutes, he raised his head to continue. "When I first met you I thought you were a pretty face. But just minutes after knowing you, you were more than that. You were a quiet girl that intrigued me to find out why you were so quiet, and to see if that was really you or not. Come time, here you are talking to me. What I'm saying is there's way more to you than meets the eye. You're deaf,"

I took a small step back. What did that have to do with anything? Jasper saw me and stood up, telling me to wait, that he wasn't done talking. "You're deaf. And smart. And beautiful. And snarky, and kind. You're shy but want to be outspoken but think you can't because you're deaf. You're deaf. If you keep just shutting down when somebody figures that out, that's all they'll ever think because they won't know to chase you. You're deaf. And sweet pea,to be honest I don't care. You could be blind and deaf, and everything imaginable but what matters to me isn't that you're deaf. It's that you are Abira. You're Abira." His hands had come around my own and I let them stay there.

There was no words that I could think to utter. He just explained me like I'm some amazing person, when I'm not. Sliding my hands out of his, I looked up at him, his cool breathe melting over my face. "Jasper I just don't know... What I'm saying is... I don't get it. What you described doesn't sound like me." The truth rolled off my tounge like a secret kept away for a thousand years. It was hard for me to say after he said all that. It was almost like somebody cared enough to say that. He cared enough to say that.

"I've told you so many times. If you can't see that about yourself," His hands took mine again, shooting lightning through them. "Then somehow I'll make you see it. Sweet pea somehow, some way, some day, in the future I will make you see just how amazing of a person you are." His hands gave mine a squeeze and then went back to gently holding them. His hands were cold from the crisp air outside, and mine in knit gloves could feel his cold fingers. Jasper took a tiny step backwards, and released my hands from the grip. The lightning died off soon after. "I ranted, didn't I?" He smiled already knowing the answer. "You're hands are freaking cold," I said and adjusted my scarf around my neck.

"Watch your language or I won't take you out for coffee, young lady." He tossed a helmet at me when he finished talking, and my clumsy self fumbled with it. The helmet never hit the ground, but it nearly did. I had to catch it between my knees. Lord I hope nobody saw me look like a dying fish falling from an airplane. Slipping on the helmet I nonchalantly sat on the bike and waited. It never moved. Jasper turned to me, laughing. "Oh shut up and drive," I giggled.
----
Jasper had finally let  me buy our coffees as we both ran and jumped onto all the bean bags that were in the room. Nobody else was really ever in there, so we just kinda claimed it as our spot. Most everybody else usually took it to go, or sat in one of the booths. Not us.

I had ordered that drink that Jasper had gotten last time, tasting how good it was before. "Geesh slow down, sweet pea!" He commented as I sipped down the warm drink. "It's too delicious! You can't just tell me not to drink something so good," I replied and took another sip of the coffee. "Lord you can really put it away." He laughed and sipped at his coffee.

"It's a gift," Placing my coffee on a nearby table I took out my phone to act as a mirror. My hair probably looked terrible. Oh hey look at that! It did look awful. Taking it down out of the pony tail I ran my hands through my hair a few times before pulling it tightly back into a pony tail. I need to cut my hair soon, it was starting to get a little lengthier than  I like it. When my head turned back up, Jasper was laying on his side, his head propped up in his  hand with the other held his  coffee. "What?" I asked.

"About California, you know how your parents want to meet me? Again?" He asked. Nodding my head for him to continue, he put his coffee on the nearby table. "So we meet up Sunday. What if they don't you know, 'approve?'"

I laid on my side and rested my head in my hand, like he had been doing a moment ago. Remarkably it was  comfortable. "They have to. If I have to I will find a way to get myself to  go! It's important to me." I said. Jasper's eyes lit up. "Important?" He asked, stretching his arms behind his head. "Yeah... I can't put my finger on why, but I know it is."