Chapter 14

I waited for his response. What would he think of me after I'd done that? He clearly got it, most everybody knows what deaf people mean when they admit they're deaf. It's a simple hand sign. You point to yourself and then sign the word 'deaf.' And he seemed to understand.

"I-I...." He stammered and set down his warm coffee onto the table, and sat up. I knew it, nobody would like me if I was deaf especially somebody like Jasper. He was the all around likable guy, and now look. Oh geesh, what a surprise, he doesn't like the deaf girl? I sat there waiting for him to respond.

'I... Didn't know..." He said and I stayed seated where I was, just barely seeing his mouth enough to see what he was saying. "I'm sorry..." He said. Sorry? Wow, so I'm deaf so you have to be sorry? I grabbed my coffee and  started walking out. If I had to I'd walk back to school.  Before I could leave the bean bag room, he grabbed my wrist. I turned around and gave him a dirty look to know he'd insulted me.   He handed  me his phone. He didn't get it now.

Just because I'm deaf you have to be sorry? I wrote and ripped my wrist from his hand. He looked back up at me and shook his head. "No! That's not what I meant! I meant I'm sorry that I never knew... I should've known and not put you on the spot like that... I know some people don't like admitting it." Jasper said and  his eyes made my heart shiver. He wasn't just saying that, he was truly sorry about it.

It's okay. I wrote. "No, it's not... Come on..." He said and started walking out of the Cafe. I followed him, skeptical. "Where are we going?" I signed out of habit and he just looked at me. "Sorry, I don't  get it." He said and I took out my phone again.

Where are we going? I asked and he got onto his bike, handing me a helmet. "I'll take you back to school." He said. Did he really feel that bad? But... For whatever reason, I didn't want to go back. We still had twenty minutes before we had to be back. Jasper waited for me to get on the bike. I just stood there. "Are you getting on?" He asked and I shook my head. "Why?" He seemed confused, but still had that ashamed look on his face.

I don't want to go back just yet, you didn't make me mad Jasper. I want to spend more time with you. I handed him my phone and he smiled. "Are you sure?" He asked and I nodded. "Okay sweet---" He caught himself and I laughed. "Okay Abira where to?" He asked, his smile back.

Do you know where Okalee Park is? I wrote and he nodded. "Hop on," I got on behind him and he sped off towards the park.
-----
We sat in the grass under a big tree, and he tried to understand what I was signing. He still seemed pretty distraught over the fact for some reason. I finger spelt his name and he looked at me funny. "Did you just curse at me?" He asked and I started giggling, and waving my hands to say 'no.' I put my fingers in the 'J' letter motion. Then I spent awhile on the 'a' then the 's' then the 'p' then the 'e' and finally the 'r'. Then I pointed to him.

"Oh, me?  That's Jasper?" He asked and I nodded. "Ugh," He sighed dramatically. "Why does it have to be so long?" he said jokingly. I shrugged and leaned against the big tree. "Okay so... Sign something, I'm a language major." He said and I smiled at him.

That's  how he knew Abira was strong in Hebrew. Language Major eh? Sweet! "What's your favorite animal?" I signed and he watched me closely. "Um... A horse." He said. He actually got it? Wow.  "Do something else," He said and I thought a second. What's something simple? "What's your favorite color?" I asked signing and he just stared at me. I signed it again, to see if he needed it again. But he just kept staring at me with his piercing green eyes. I signed it slowly this time.

Jasper just stared. What is it?I was starting to get annoyed. If he didn't get it than he should just say so. I pulled out my phone. Jasper put his hand on it and put my phone back down. "It's okay, just ask something else." He said nervously. Um, okay?

"Favorite plant?" I asked signing and he looked around the park. "I don't really have one." He said and I just rolled my eyes. "Everybody does." I signed. Jasper was picking  up on understand sign language just after ten minutes. He was a really fast learner. "Nope, they're all sorta cool in their own way..." He said trailing off. "What about the shape? Or the color?" I signed. "Sure, they all have different shapes... and... and colors I guess." He said looking around us.

What was he hiding from me? "Are you okay?" I asked and he shrugged. "I'm good!" He said but somehow I just knew he was lying. "Would you tell me?" I asked. Jasper's green eyes darted away from me and looked around. He sighed.

"Everybody has something to hide or something to be afraid of. You do, and I do. Simple as that." he leaned against the tree and didn't look at me. I placed my hand on his shoulder, and he turned back to look at me. "I told you about me." I signed, trying to make him realize that I'd already went out on a limb for him. "Please just don't spread it around, it's hard for me, okay?" He asked.

"Okay Jasper." I signed, knowing how hard it can be to have people know something so personal about you. Jasper stayed quiet for a minute and played with the grass with his fingers. "I'm color blind." He admitted. I cupped my hand over my mouth. I wished I hadn't said anything at all.

He turned away from me and looked out to the pond that was a little ways away, that had barely thawed from winter. I put my hand on top  of his and he quickly turned to look at me. "Sorry  I shouldn't have asked," I signed and he just looked down at our hands. I wasn't trying to be romantic, just comforting. I started pulling my hand away when  his hand held onto the tips of my fingers. I looked up at him, but Jasper was still just staring at our hands. His hand pulled my hand until it was resting in his. His hands were wrapping around mine and I let him.

"You're hands are smooth," He said. I smiled, and also just stared at our hands. He rubbed his thumb on my hand. A memory rushed into my head and I pulled my hand away from his. "Don't  do that," I signed and  he quickly nodded. "Sorry." He said. "You're okay it's just..." I stopped signing for a moment. "A memory of somebody, that's all." I said. His green eyes pierced at me, memorizing. "Lemme guess, one of your old  boyfriends?" He asked and I raised  an eyebrow.

"No," I signed, surprised at his assumption. "I've never had a boyfriend. Not a real one, anyways. Unless you count second grade playing house."  I  said and he laughed. "Okay, okay." He gave in. No, I wasn't thinking of a former boyfriend. I was thinking about the one person who always did that. I was thinking about Marco.