Chapter 17

I had stayed home from school until I felt better, and now going back on a Friday felt like torture. I was aching, my sides still hurt and overall I hadn't spoken to Chris since then. Stacy had made us sit down for dinner and he tried talking to me but I just pretended I didn't hear him.

It can be rough, living like this. It''s been what, a week of school? And I've already made two people despise me, my own brother admitting he hates having a deaf sibling, my brother also turning out to be such a player with girls, and my sister going into the unknown. Then there's Jasper... I don't know how to feel about him. He's sweet to me but still it's not like I'm falling drop dead in love with him.

Luckily I had lunch time to be by myself with the people who really care about me. Marco had stuck by my side the entire time that he could,  and right now he was  carrying my lunch tray for me. "You don't have to do that you know," I signed as he shrugged. Putting our trays at the table we both sat down. To be honest I wasn't hungry, I was feeling sick to my stomach. After everything that not only happened to me, but everything that I did food just didn't sound appealing.

"Eat something," Marco signed, stretching his arms behind his head afterwards. "Nothing sounds good right now." I replied, pushing my trays away from myself. "I know the pain can hurt but..." He cut himself off and looked at something intently. Before asking, a hand laid on my shoulder and somebody sat down next to me at the bench.

My eyes turned to see Jasper smiling through what looked to be sadness, at his hand on my shoulder. Marco looked like his fists were going to pop off how hard he had them clenched. "How are you feeling?" Jasper asked, taking his hand off my shoulder. Before I could sign back, a rumble came from the table as Marco stood up and walked over to Jasper.

"Are you serious?" Marco asked signing. Jasper gave him a look, not knowing what he meant by that. By now Jasper clearly understood some sign language and was picking up on it fast. My feelings were lightened when he first asked me to teach him how to understand it. Somebody wanted to learn about my language, it felt amazing.

"Marco, right?" Jasper tried to remember his name. Marco's green eyes held onto Jasper with an unforgiving look. "You have no right to be talking to her, everything happened when she was with you. How do we know something like that won't happen again with her being near you?" Marco's eyes stayed cold while he signed, and he looked nerve racking.

More threatening than when Jasper pinned Macy to the wall. "Look Marco, I didn't do--" Jasper began but Marco made him stand up so he could look Jasper in the eyes. "She got hurt with you!" Marco signed furiously and Jasper held his hands up like he was being arrested by cops. "I know that! I feel terrible, man! She was with me, and nothing should've happened like that! I swear to you both I didn't do anything. And if it makes you feel better I won't hang around Abira any more, okay? All I want is her to be safe here on out." Jasper said and my mouth fell open.

Did he really just say that? All he  wants is me to be safe... And... He said that about me. Marco's green eyes drained of their anger and filled with something else. I didn't know what it was. "You'd do that?" Marco was baffled and sat back down. Jasper stood there, unknown of what to do. Looking between me and Marco, he slowly grabbed his bag and looked at me one last time. "Bye, Abira." Jasper started to walk away.

Looking at Marco and then back at Jasper I was shocked at both of them. I've seen Marco be protective but never that protective. And how Jasper was just willing to stay away if it made Marco feel better, who does that? I felt Marco tap my shoulder and I turned towards him. "You're okay with him after what happened?" He asked signing.

"It wasn't him I told you that!" I signed back, stressed. I didn't need them to hate each other with everything I had going on. Chris and me having our fights, Blaire and Macy, and our parents being there for none of it. It's not like they care, all they do is go on fancy vacations from my mom's work. Without her job, she wouldn't get to go on those trips and maybe she'd be there for us.

"I know, I'm overprotective of you. I just don't want anything to happen again, Abira. Of all people I know what that's like and you don't just get used to it. If it happens again..." Marco's signs faded and he looked up at me. "Go talk to him," He signed. "I don't need--" I started to sign but he put my hands down.

"But you want to." He knew what I wanted, and always has. No matter what I wanted or didn't want Marco always knew it. Standing up and about to leave, I saw Marco just weakly smiling at me. Oh Marco. Sitting myself down next to him, I took his hand in mine. He looked at me, and then down at our hands, then back to me. "What are you doing?" He asked signing. Smiling, and squeezed his hand. "Thank you, for everything." I signed.

His eyes seemed to turn sheepish as he turned red and smiled at me. "Always and forever." He signed. I knew Jasper could be who knows where by now but Marco was my main priority right now for whatever reason. His eyes locked into my own, and I saw him looking at me with such a shimmer in his eyes.

Slowly, we were sitting close with our hands intertwined. Marco had come close to my face, and was just looking so deeply at me. "I won't." I saw his lips move and he pulled away. "Go catch up with Jasper," he signed and I nodded slowly. Leaning over before I left, my lips pecked Marco's cheek. He turned towards me so fast, and looked like somebody offered him one million dollars. "Thank you Marco. You know your my best friend, right?" I asked signing and he nodded.

Standing up painfully, I walked to go find Jasper.