Chapter 48

Jasper said that I had looked great, which in turn made me blush like a red apple.

What can I say though, it's my first date I have every right to be nervous. And trust me, I am. This almost feels like a test, a pit in my stomach growing ever larger with every step I take.  But there's really no reason to be nervous, right?  Right.

He said we'd go somewhere nice, and that it wouldn't be too over formal. Thank goodness. Turns out it was some place that I'd never heard of, and to be honest I can't remember it's name. It was outdoor dining, the chilly yet warm air flowing over us. I ended up getting spaghetti and Jasper got fettuccine alfredo.

"You look pale," Jasper snapped my thoughts away. Blinking a few times I gently shook my head, while he held a look that wasn't very convinced.

"Really, I'm great! I'm always pale, you should know that by now." I smiled to seal the deal of me not being nervous. "Okay then, whatever you say sweet pea." Jasper took a bite of his food, while I sipped on some lemon water. This place wasn't very formal to be romantic, which I was glad. When I envisioned a date I never saw it being some elegant place, just me being casual with somebody I really like.

And this was it.

I really was great, just nervous. "How about tomorrow before we leave we get you to ride the horses again?"

"Don't even joke like that! That was frightening!"  I nearly dropped my glass of water from the thought of the horse jumping. Jasper smiled at me, starting to laugh. I felt myself start to giggle too, and couldn't help it. I've said it a million times but when he laughs, I do too.

Just the way he laughs makes me want to. "Please! You only rode the horse ten minutes, tops." He crossed his arms triumphantly. "Ten minutes too long! Don't get me wrong, it was fun. But scary for me, you know? That was my first time riding a horse."

"I can understand that, some girls--People, can be scared of that stuff.  No biggie." Jasper took another bite of food. Twirling the noodles around my fork I stuck of bite of spaghetti. The sauce they had was really good, better than I'd had in awhile. Then again my parents don't ever bother to say 'hey kids let's grab something to eat!'

"Your adorable when your nose scrunches up when you laugh," Jasper said smiling his ever-so-dashing smile.  Feeling the heat of wanting to blush run up my neck, I pretended to stretch my arms to cover it. "Really, now? Because I always thought it was weird the way that happens when I laugh. Like it's being pulled by a string." I yawned after speaking and covered it best I could with my hand.

"Then whoever pulls that string knows what looks amazing on you." Once more I blushed. Of course I did! Darn myself.
-----
After dinner we drove down to the beach and I'd taken off my sandals to feel the sand between my toes. There was a small breeze, but nothing too big. Peaceful, that's the word I think I'd use to describe it. I only wish I could hear the ocean rolling it's waves and letting them die on the sand. Or that's how books I've read describe it.

The ocean is depressing that way I guess. Throwing itself onto the sand, wishing and hoping maybe one day it'll go farther than it's own sea. But no, it rolls back into itself and becomes silent as a deaf girl's world. The thing about the ocean is, it keeps trying. No matter how many billions of times it's  thrown itself up and fails it never stops to stay silent forever.

The warmth of a hand slightly brushed my own. Looking over to Jasper he was staring at me, the corners of his mouth barely curving upward. "Yeah?" I asked. Jasper looked from me, to the ocean. "What are you staring at?"

Looking out at the waves I nodded towards them. "Those."

"They're fun to watch when it gets darker, huh? So powerful it's captivating." His smile was dream-like right now, the glimmer of light in his eyes lost.  Gently I shook my head and smiled back at him. "Nah. I was thinking it's kind of sad, but kinda inspiring too."

Jasper looked confused and kept looking between the ocean and me.  I told him what I had been thinking about it, and then he stood there for a minute. It looked like he was almost contemplating something.

"I never looked at it that way," He finally said with his chest heaving like he was letting out a big breath.  "Look at it like you used too, Jasper. Don't make my eyes define yours."

Jasper took my hands into his and shook his head. "You always leave such and imprint on things, even the water out there will remember what you said. But you're right. It never gives up." Jasper let go of my hands and looked out there for a long time. Was he alright?

When he turned his head to me, he looked solemn. "Can I ask you something?"

"Only if I can ask you something too, Jasper. Go ahead."

Jasper looked back out at the waves and then down at his feet. "How many times can somebody forgive a person? No matter how big or small?"  He kept looking between me and the waves.  Like they had something to say too. Rubbing up and down on my arms, I tugged at one of my earlobes.

"I think you always forgive a person, not keeping count.  Then again I guess it depends on what happened." That brought to mind Marco and his family. How many times were they supposed to forgive her ex-boyfriend?

"Yeah," He finally replied to my answer and then bit his lower lip. "Your turn."

Thinking of what to ask, I kept slightly pulling at my ear. "Why did those teenagers at the park confront you like that?" It never left my mind about what had happened. "You looked so angry."

Jasper took a step back, shock written all over his face. He went pale, his hands slightly fidgeting. "I, uh," He stuttered for a minute and kept nervously looking back out to the waves. "Abira," He inhaled and then looked down at the ground. Why was he this nervous? He just had to tell me!

"They were just people I used to know, I told you that."

"You always say that, Jasper. But I don't think you ever meant it, who are they really?  Please Jasper I just need to know."  After asking the question it felt like I wasn't going to back down from an answer.

Finally Jasper stood still and ran a hand through his hair.  "I used to go to school here, in California, like you know. Me and them used to hang out, we got to be pretty close friends. Once we got to junior high they started to do some... Things. One night they drug me into one of their little 'get togethers' which I thought was just going to be a party. Then all the spray cans and hammers came out at the park. Ended up I got in trouble with them, but I never touched anything. I never told you because... I  didn't want you thinking I did the things they did. And Abbie was one of them. My aunt and uncle knew her too so I guess that's why they sometimes call you Abbie and not Abira."

Now I really tugged at my ear. He never told me the truth before? This was harder to hear than what he originally told me. I can't imagine how hard it was for him to tell me. Stepping forward, I nodded my head. "Thank you, for telling the truth.  And Jasper for what it's worth, I would never just hate you for something that you got roped into. As long as you tell me the truth about stuff, there's never a reason for me to be mad."