Chapter 18

My eyes scanned everywhere, trying to find where he went. If only I could hear him call out my name or something like that. Alas that's not a privilege I've ever had. If I were Jasper where would I be? Hey, it can work. I know the method is old and outdone and overall mostly stupid but sometimes it works.

He took me to that coffee place, maybe there? Heck no! I wasn't going to walk all the way there just to find him. Plus I barely know where we went, my eyes were shut half the time. Maybe he's just about to leave, he didn't go that long ago. Walking into the parking lot, Jasper was leaning on his motorcycle looking down at something.

He didn't see me, even when I stood next to him. I walked and turned my head upside down so he could see me. Jasper shoved his phone away and whatever he was holding down his hoodie neck. "Hey," I signed and he just looked at me. Silence came over us and all I could personally do was wait for him.

"You should be with your friend." He finally replied and I raised my eyebrow. Not moving, he gently shoved my shoulder. "Go so nothing happens again." He said and his eyes looked a little watery. He couldn't be crying, he couldn't be. Not over me, no sir.

"What if I want to be with you?" I asked signing and he shrugged at me. "I don't know, Abira. After what happened..." He trailed off and bit his bottom lip looking at the asphalt. Jasper didn't finish, even though I desperately wanted to know what he thought. His opinion meant something, would mean something to mean whatever it was.

If he didn't finish, I wanted to make him. I know you can't make somebody do anything they don't want to, that's wrong. But my mind and heart wanted to know. Did I just say heart? No, I didn't. "Jasper?" I asked signing and he looked defeated as he looked back at me.

"I blame myself, Abira." he said and I felt my eyes widen. "I really, really do. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't. But you were with me and the fact that I wasns't there to do anything, to make things better... It just bugs me. I feel like I wasn't there for you when you needed me. Sure I just met you a few days ago but Abira... There's something about you I can't get out of my head. Like a ringing that constantly bothers you. I wasn't there to protect you, and to me that's gut wrenching." Jasper's eyes were really watery now and I felt mine start to fill as well.

He wanted to be there for me. He just said that. For real somehow I felt like he meant every single word of everything he said. Walking beside him, I forced him to slide over and I sat next to him on the bike. Placing a tender hand on his shoulder, he looked at me with those eyes. Those watery eyes.

"You were there Jasper. You were there to pick me up off the ground." I reminded him with my hands as my substitute for words. "I could've done something more. Who did it, Abira?" Jasper asked and I quickly shut myself up. He didn't need to know, nobody did.

It was embarrassing to be honest. And horrible. What could I tell him? Nothing. "Whatever. I'm staying with you Jasper. And what you said... Even though we just met, I feel like I've known you forever." After I finished signing, Jasper gave a brief smile.

"I really can't shake you off me then, can I? And here I thought I was the one chasing you." He smirked and I pushed his shoulder. "You chasing me? No. And defiantly not me chasing you either Jasper." I may have looked harsh, even thought my intentions weren't that. Jasper was only kidding I know that but come on, nobody was chasing anybody here.

"Ouch sweet pea, ouch." He commented and I just rolled my eyes. "You don't know that I'm not. What if I am truly, deeply, madly in love hmm?" Jasper caught me off guard and I stopped breathing for a second. "Say what?" I asked signing and his face was dead serious.

Now he was scaring me. "You can't be serious," I signed, but his face stayed the same. "No I totally--" before he could finish he burst into laughter making me more at ease. My smile matched his as I slowly started to giggle, which made my sides hurt.