Chapter 12

"Hey, Abira." Marco signed as I got in his truck. I smiled and waved at him, hoping today would be better than the last.
"What time do you have to leave today?" I asked and he checked his phone. "Few minutes before noon, right before lunch." He said and smiled back at me.

"Everything okay?" The car started to pull out of my driveway. He nodded and kept smiling at me when he could from driving. "What?" I asked at his excessive smiling. "Nothing," He turned his attention to the road ahead. Alright, then. what did he mean? Sorry, now it's going to bug me.

Extending my arm and tapping his shoulder, he looked back at me. "Tell me! Please? No matter what it is I won't be mad." Well okay, it depends. Maybe I will be mad if it's something to do with yesterday. "As long as you won't be mad," He turned to me and smiled again. "You're really, really pretty. I don't know if it's the way the sun reflects off your eyes or what, but you are." He signed and I felt my cheeks turn pink as I blushed.

"Thanks," I said. For some reason, it really touched me that he would say that. He's told me before but it just hit me just right. Before I could think on it, I felt my hand reach for his. He jumped at the touch and looked down at our hands as I wrapped my fingers in his. A bashful smile crawled onto his face as he turned pink, causing me to giggle. "I know I asked you before but it's so odd to me. You really think that?" I asked again even though I ask him every time. Today it was different.

I felt him give my hand a quick squeeze. "Abira, listen to me. I believe that more than I believe the stars are real." As the words went off his one hand, I felt electricity shoot through my veins, spreading like wildfire. Wow. That feeling was really different. I don't know if it was good or bad or whatever but it made my hand want to rip away from his and also never let it go. It's like two very opposite things collide so hard you don't know what to think.

Like water and oil. Like earth and space. Like heaven and... Well, you know the opposite of that. (Didn't want to swear, haha) Whatever it was, whatever that happened, it was interesting.
-------
Only did our hands come apart when I had to leave to class, and we hadn't spoken since we had first intertwined them. I barely realized we still were when we got to school. Dreading the thought of Macy and Marco not being there if I needed him. Avoid the restroom, that's where it happened last.

Walking towards advanced english, my mind was racing. Why did Macy do that? Why did she ask about Marco? Why did she need to know? Before my brain could ask any more questions, I saw the perfect-teeth smile of Blaire walking up to me with her minion girls. How convenient.

"Hey deafy! How's you're miserable life?" Her words came out of her mouth like a bullet, ready to fire more at any time. Sure her words stung, but at least I couldn't hear her say them right? "Tsk, you won't answer me? Huh, funny! How about you throw another one at me, hmm?" Her eyes went cold and painful towards me, and the rest of the girls blocked my way.

Just let me go! Come on, I was using self defense last time and I wasn't about to let her rule my life. She had been for the past 4 years of my life. "No? Okay then I'll talk. Let's get this straight alright? You and Jasper are never going to just magically be together! And about Macy," Macy?  What was she talking  about? "Yes, I heard about you and her. I'm pretty sure we all have. Just tell her about your little friend, for your sake. Or you could just tell me now?" Her eyes seemed to soften when she said the last part.

Totally fake. I considered spitting at her for cornering me like that, but what would that do? She already got to me enough to the point where I slapped her. I couldn't let her get to me, let her win. Nodding my head, I pretended like I totally was going to tell her. Heh, like I'd ever. She gave her show stopping smile to me, and awaited my words. I opened my mouth and pretended like I couldn't get words out.

"Argh!" She sighed and shoved her phone in my face. "Type, deafy." Ouch, Blaire. I grabbed her phone and typed rapidly as if I was going to tell her everything. Never. I handed her phone back and waited until her attention was on it. When she wasn't looking at me, I bolted down the hall. She probably yelled after me, all I wrote was:

Excuse me who do you think you are? Well Miss Blaire you don't have any right to interogate me or even ask about Marco okay? So thank you very much if you'd get out of my life and leave us alone. By us I mean the world that is so sadly burdened by you. Your friend,
Abira.
P.S. We aren't friends.

Haha! I know it was mean but I had to tell her that! And hey I got away from her so I'm good! Now if only I could've said that to her face. That would've been spectacular.
------
Lunch time came faster than I thought it would, and to be honest I wasn't looking too forward to it. I scanned the cafeteria for Jasper, but I never saw him. Walking outside to our table under the willow tree, I saw Jasper sitting there with his headphones in. I wish I could hear what he was listening to, really, really badly.

Walking over, he saw me coming and stood up. He smiled brightly as he came up to me. "Hey sweet pea," He said and I just snapped my fingers at him with my eyes low. He got it. "Sorry, sorry. You ready?" He asked and I nodded. Jasper started to walk and held his hand out for mine, and stopped walking after I didn't take his hand. "You good?" He asked and I nodded again. "You take this no talking thing pretty seriously, don't you?" Jasper asked. I didn't reply for a second, thinking about what he said.

I just wanted to open my mouth and say "yeah but I mean I can talk if that's what your wondering." But I can't. I won't. I hardly ever talk, the first time I talked in years was to Marco a few nights ago. He waved his hand in front of my face to get my attention. I nodded at him, smiling. "Oh come on you have to talk sometime." He said.

Yes, sometimes Jasper. But I only talk to those most important to me and that's only when they need it. Shaking my head, he walked out to the parking lot  and I looked for the truck I saw yesterday. "Are you okay with cars? I know I asked you yesterday but..." I didn't  catch what he said last, he had turned his head. He still thinks that I can hear, doesn't he?  Poor guy doesn't  even know, but he hasn't asked so I never told.

My train of thought was broken when we came  up to a parking stall, but there wasn't a truck. He handed me a helmet, and I stared at the motorcycle. What ever happened to the truck...? Man... "Are you okay with motorcycles?" As he asked I took out my phone and handed to him what I wrote.

I've never rode one to be honest. When he looked back at me he smiled. "A first time for everything, isn't there?"  He  put on black helmet and pointed to mine for me to put it on. Here we go... I slipped on the helmet and waited for him to say something else. I couldn't see  his mouth through the mask... Crap. He sat down on his bike and looked at me, waiting.

Behind him? Why did I have to make that deal? Walking over to the bike I slipped one leg over the bike, when he turned to me and said something. I pointed to my ear, and made a 'what' face trying to tell him that I couldn't hear him with the mask on. Pulling off his helmet, he turned back to me. "You might want to hold on," He said and I looked around the bike. Nothing  to hold on to. I shrugged at him. "Heh, to me sweet pea." Jasper  smirked, and I let my mouth fall open in shock and laughter as I shook my head. He laughed.

"Well okay, have fun falling  off princess." He leaned forward and put his helmet back on. Psh, I won't fall off-- The bike leapt forward with speed, making me get goosebumps all up my arms. He  drove out of the parking lot, still going fast. I was holding onto the seat  when we went over a bump and it almost send me flying. Out of fear I wrapped my arms around his chest and waist  and  practically held on for  dear life. I  felt him start laughing, and I sat up, still  holding onto him.

Turns out, we were at a stoplight. Figures. He turned towards me laughing. "You've got quite the grip there, girly!" I  picked up through the helmet. You should've told me we would go so fast! "Green light, here we go," He said and I held on this time, trying not to fall off. The wind blew in my face, making my hair blow everywhere around me. As I got used to the feel of it, it started to feel fun.

I opened my eyes and watched the world fly by as he drove, and for the first time in awhile I felt free. Like I could touch the skies and not have my limits be determined by being deaf. And I owe it to Jasper.