Chapter 47

What to wear on a date?  That is a question that I, Abira, do not have the answer to.

Hold that thought, my phone vibrated nearly falling off the dresser.  Unlocking my screen, I saw two missed FaceTime's from Marco. Crap.

Hitting the call button I had to think to myself if it were better to tell him now, or later?  I don't know! My heart is still beating like crazy, thinking so many different things. It seemed so sudden, yet right on time. There was no way to explain this feeling.

Marco's face appeared on screen, half smiling.

"Hey Abira," He signed, breaking me free of my thoughts. "Hey. What's up?" I tried to remain calm after my thoughts ran so wild. Marco shrugged, rubbing his face with his hands. I hoped he told somebody about what's been going on. Please let him have told somebody.

"I listened to you." After what seemed like minutes had flown by he finally signed. Propping my phone up on the dresser in it's case, I leaned forward intently. "About telling someone?"

His nod was his reply, as he looked down at I assume the floor and twirled his thumbs. He seemed nervous to tell me, though I can't see why. I'm always there for him, he can tell me anything he wants to. The fact that sometimes he doesn't is what worries me.  "Who'd you tell?"

"911. I was able to get a video call with an interpreter." Wow, I can't believe they have that. I never thought there was something like that, that existed. It's good they have that, for people like us.

"And?" He just just come out and tell me everything that's needed to know. It's okay to have personal things you keep to yourself but I want to make sure something was done about it. Marco had gone silent, mouthing words that I couldn't make out. Please just tell me.  "She got a restraining order on him for when he gets out."

"Out of where?" I raised an eyebrow, feeling skeptical of what really happened. "He still has to go to court for it. But that's ten years in jail." Now I know why he was silent. Charged with domestic violence, I would think. Good, that guy got what he deserved for hurting Marco and his mom. Finally something was done about this.

Nodding my head, I tried to smile for him. "That's good," I inhaled and tried to feel for him, but I've never been put in something like this. "Now things can get better." When I said that Marco huffed, making it seem like I said something dumb. "You say that now. What if the court doesn't plead him guilty? Then where do we go from there?" He had a point.

What would happen, if he wasn't plead guilty. "That won't happen. For everything that he's done, that won't happen. And your mom will have the restraining order already, so you'll be fine." I didn't know what to tell him. This was serious and how could I support him? That's just it, I couldn't.

Marco leaned towards the camera, so his hands were right at the screen.  "She has one. I don't." Oh. It made sense now why he was so upset. Marco isn't eighteen, he can't  have one of his own yet. "That's only a year and two months away! It'll be years before he's let out. You'll be fine Marco, and so will your mother."

"Whatever you say," He didn't seem convinced, more like agreeing to stop the conversation. "Thank you for telling me." Heck, that's one good thing. "Yeah... How are you?"

"You know," How to tell him? "Good." More like ecstatic and nervous. This was something I'd never been through before, so I couldn't even give an honest opinion on it. And Marco was just trying to drive the conversation away from himself. I can see why, but also not. If only he was more of an open person.

Tugging at one of my ears, I wiggled the other fingers on my hands around to stretch them out. "I'll let you go. I have things to do." He signed. Nodding my head, we said out goodbyes and hung up. Poor Marco, going through all of this at only 16 and a half. Sure he's my age and almost 17 but that's still a lot on his plate.

Tossing things aside onto my bed I looked them over if they would be suitable. Dude how do girls do this stuff? It seems so hard to pick out something for a date. That sounds so weird. A date. Being nervous for this doesn't feel right, either. Then again, I've never gone on a formal date before so there's reason to be nervous. Maybe. I have no idea!

Can Google or Siri help me now? I sound so much like a worried school girl going on her first date. Holy crap, I am a worried school girl going on my first date. Serial.

Setting aside a few outfits that I thought could fit, I rubbed my chin like people do in movies. Hey, it works for them, doesn't it? Not for me! Maybe if I just... There! Maybe? Argh! Why is this so hard, I never felt like this when Jasper and I were just friends.

Okay, let's look this over; This could work. It actually could work, wow, aren't I the latest upcoming fashion guru? Just kidding, never ask me for fashion advice. White sweater, gray green shorts, my sandals. Maybe this could actually work, and just maybe my sudden flood of nerves could shut the heck up.

Slipping into the outfit that I'd gotten out, I looked myself over in the mirror.Whatever, I'm in this now so there's no going back. Peeking out in the hall, I saw the bathroom was open like I was hoping. With my small makeup bag I jogged over to it, and locked the door behind me.

Taking out my hairbrush, a few strokes made it fall where I like it. Man I need a trim, it's just a little too long for me.Pony tail? Down? Bun? No my hair's just short enough for it not to be a good bun. Pony tail or down? These decisions suddenly seemed harder now that it was um...  Official. That sounds so weird. I never imagined things going like this, ever.

Then again, I never thought of myself getting into a serious relationship. Even that sounds so bizarre! Taking a white scrunchie band, I pulled my hair back into a high, tight pony tail. Perfect?  I could think so. This was as perfect as I'll ever get, trust me.

A few runs of mascara just barely made my lashes a little bit darker, the way I sometimes do them before events. Now, how would Jasper be dressed? It was so hard to look at him the way that was my...Boyfriend. Does that sound weird to only me? Me, Abira Clausser, has a boyfriend.

Bizarre!

And it's like around Jasper, things feel warmer, brighter. I've always said it, but how can I not again; He makes me feel like a fantasy. Maybe this is what I've been waiting for forever with him or something. Maybe that's why I always felt that way about him is all along I fell in love with him.

Of all people I never thought of me to be the one to fall in love. Everybody else deserved it more than I did. And like Marco for example, he deserves somebody amazing. He of all people needs somebody who'll just make him... Happy. Right now he needs that I can't always be there for him, which tears me apart, but I also have my life that I need to live while I have it.

Shaking it off, I opened the door of the bathroom and prepped myself for  my very first, and hopefully amazing, date.