Chapter 54

When I got home my parents were eagerly waiting for me. They'd both been at work when Marco had dropped me off originally.

Stacy hugged me and drove off before our parents could talk to her. That's one thing that I wish could be mended with a word. But it just can't be. My mother hugged me and smiled.

"How was your trip? Anything exciting happen?" Now they are interested in my life. After a huge trip for me then they are concerned about something other than work.

I shrugged. "I tried to ride a horse." I said and my mother smiled even wider.

"That is amazing!" She exclaimed and my father agreed.

"Anything else fun?" My dad didnt look up from his cell phone as he asked.

Thinking about Jasper, I pretended not to hear that part. "Where is Chris?" I asked. My parents exchanged glanced and my mother smiled solemnly. I sat down at the dining table, and waited. Slowly my father clicked off his phone. I knew something was up when they didn't just give me a short off answer.

My father was the first to talk. "Chris isn't coming home tonight." Of all the things to tell me that's not what I wanted to hear.

Slowly I sat straight up. "What does that mean?" I felt my heart rate increase.

"When you were gone, your brother got into a fight with us. I'd brought up that his grades were dropping when I got a call from the principal. Mr.Adams said that he's been skipping school. He's just...Been hanging out with the wrong crowd." My father spoke and not my mom. She sat in silence.

I held up one finger to stop him for a second. "So why isn't he here? Chris has always been disobedient."

Now my mom spoke. "He's spending the night in a holding cell." She finally said. My jaw dropped.

I wanted to curse. My hands signed a bad word under the table, before setting them on top of it. "And why in the freaking world is that?" My throat felt like it was going to stop working. My twin brother was in jail for a night.

"I don't think that needs to be your plate, Abira. Just know we'll pick him up in the morning." My father said. I wanted to know more.

How could Chris do something like this? Getting himself locked in a cell for a night...It's unthinkable. It's literally just wrong to me. It doesn't click in my mind.

Locked in a jail cell. My own brother. I nodded my head just to obey my parents. "I'm going to unpack." I got up and drug my bags up the stairs to my own bedroom.

But as I passed my brother's room, I saw his phone sitting on his bed. Whatever he did, he didn't take his phone. I know it was never my place, but I slid through the door and grabbed his phone.

Hopefully the sound was off. I began to flip through the notification list and saw most of them were from Janelle. I read them to try and gain some sort of understanding.

Janelle- Chris, hi! Just wanted to ask if we could get together to have coffee or something?

There was a short reply from Chris, which basically said sure.

Janelle-You weren't at school today. :-( Usually you text me. Just checking in.
Two hours later.

Janelle- hey Chris. I'm getting worried. Please text me.

Then after no replies, the next day Janelle texted him again.

Janelle- I get if you want time to yourself but you haven't been at school in 3 days. Please text me. Or just say that you don't wanna talk. But you are freaking me out. I'm calling your parents, Chris. To tell them who you're hanging with.

What did everyone else know that I didn't?! I dropped his phone and stormed off to my own room. This was literally making me life seem to fall apart. I flopped onto my bed after locking the door.

I laid on my back, staring at the ceiling. My phone buzzed in my pocket. Thinking it could be Marco I just laid there for a minute. Slowly I took out my phone and looked at it. Not Marco.

Hey sweet pea. I'm sorry I left you and Marco like that. But I figured I was last person he wanted to see. How are you? Jasper.

I'm crap. Not because of you though. I think it's good you left early he was mad. I hit send. Quick as a rabbit he replied.

Why do you feel that way? He asked.

Marco and I had a mini-falling out. And my brother is

I stopped typing to flick a tear off my cheek. I didn't know I was crying. 

Marco and I had a mini-falling out. Chris and my parents are being... I guess themselves.

What can I do? Jasper.

It's alright. I don't think that anything will help. I wanted to see Jasper. Being around him was comforting. But I don't think it was good to rope him into this.

Please? If I can do something I will. Bring you coffee? Skype? Leave you be? What a sweetheart.

Maybe just come over for a movie or something? And then we can tell me parents about "us." He replied with a fast 'yes' and that he'd be right over.

Marco doesn't need to worry about me. If he's going to do this for me out of the blue, how sweet is that? Nobody needs to worry.