Chapter 10

Where were we going? Jasper pulled me to the courtyard and then stopped, still grinning wide. Seriously this boy was probably kidnapping me or something. "You good with riding in cars?" He asked, and gestured to his truck. I held up my hand, and shook my head 'no' even though I'm perfectly fine with cars. His smile faded and he nodded, and let go of my hand. "Sorry." He said, and put his hands in his coat pockets. "I thought you would wanna see the park or something. Spend time with you, ya know?" He said and actually looked pretty sad. Why? I don't know.

I didn't really know him, I wasn't going to just go somewhere with him. Why'd he look so sad though? I took out my phone and typed on a notepad, handing it to him.

Why did you want to take me? He read it and bit his lip.

I wanted to spend time with you. He wrote back, but didn't talk for some reason.

We could do that here and I never said I wanted to I wrote back, folding my arms. "I know we could talk here but... Sorry I didn't just ask you but usually if I stay somewhere too long then--" He was interrupted by voices calling his name.

"Jasper! Hey Jasper!" A popular red head girl came strutting up to him, and to be honest I forget her name. He sighed. "Then this happens." He said and folded his arms as she ran up with a few other girls, including Blaire. "Jasper, hey! How are you?" She asked, with way too much mascara on. Sure it looked okay but nobody needs that much makeup.

"I'm fine." He said plainly. Their eyes darted to me for a split second, before they returned googly eyes to him. "Not great? Oh Jasper! What is this dumb girl bothering you? You're too good for her to hang around, you have every right to tell her to walk off a short bridge!" Another girl piped up, and his eyes narrowed.

"Who says she's bothering me?" He asked. They all looked at each other for something to say, when Blaire stepped up. Oh this should be interesting. "Forgive Lindsey. She's... Having a bad day? Anyways, Jasper, I was wondering if you were doing anything this lunch period?" Her eyes were glued to me for that last part as if to tell me to leave. As if.

Jasper looked to me, at Blaire, and back at me. "I don't know." He answered and his sad look came back onto his face. "Lindsey you were right! She is bothering him. Move along, girly." She said and took a step towards me. Unlike earlier, Jasper didn't get involved this time. I looked at him and he shrugged at me. Wow. Just wow, Jasper. "Did you hear me? Oh wait, you can't!" Blaire shoved me backwards. I hate admitting I need help, but now I did. But I don't want it. I can handle this, by myself.

I wasn't going to walk away and let her win. But then again I also didn't want to get my face bashed in. "I know you can understand me!" Blaire kept coming at me. Her words sunk in that I couldn't hear her. Anger built up in me, and I felt my hand slap her across the face. "You did not just do that." She said and a wicked smile came across her face.

"Break it up," He stepped between us, and Blaire looked shocked. "Didn't you see her, Jasper? She dared to--" Blaire began and Jasper started to laugh. "Yeah I saw her, that's why I'm laughing." Jasper said and Blaire shut up. "Let's move on before things get ugly. Or uglier than it is." He said and Blaire smiled bashfully at him. Tsk, what an act.

"You're right, Jasper." Blaire put her hands on his shoulder and looked up at him. Bleh. Turning on my heels I started to walk away, knowing I didn't need this. Why Jasper? I'd known him for a day and for some reason he just made me smile even though I hate him. He doesn't need to get involved with my life. Before I could make it back to my table, somebody grabbed my wrist and I turned, electricity shooting up my body.

"You okay?" He asked, and I handed him my phone.

You don't need to get involved. I said. He looked up at me, handed me my phone and slowly nodded. "Sorry," He said and ran a hand through his hair. Stop doing that. "I just... Don't want them to hurt you." Jasper bit his lip and kicked a pebble.

Why did you look so sad when I didn't go with you? I handed him back my phone. "That's a tough one..." He began and handed me my phone again. "I don't know. You seem really, really nice and, I don't know. I just guess I thought you'd wanna go with me. To be honest most girls would just go, but you... You're different. Something about you Abira is really different, I can't put my finger on it but whatever it is it's amazing." Jasper finished.

You just mean I don't talk. I wrote and he looked shocked. "No! That's not it!" He almost got defensive but sweet about it. "Sure you don't talk to me but... It's not that, at least not to me." Wow, Jasper. I looked down at his hand that was holding my wrist, but now he slowly moved his fingers towards mine. "Let me get to know you better, please." He asked with sincerity.

What to do, what to say? I didn't want to just shoot him down but I can't help but... His fingers interwove with mine, causing electricity to corse through me again. Yes? No? Nod? Shake my head? I took my hand out of his and opened my phone again.

Friends, Jasper. Just friends. He smiled at what I wrote and nodded. "I'm cool with that." Are you because you don't seem like it. Especially how all those girls are all over you. "Would you mind if tomorrow I, we, went somewhere during lunch?" He asked.

Great, more decisions. I nodded.

As long as you don't turn out to be a murderer. He laughed. "I'll try then." He joked and I smiled.