XVIII

Amara Langston-Hughes

Someone help me...

1 year later

"You didn't have to kill him, Dan." I placed my hand over Daniels through the glass, who was sentenced to 15 years in prison for the murder of Tyson. I didn't expect him to do it, or get caught, but he did.

It took a whole 9 months for the police to come to the conclusion that Danny killed Tyson after finding me in his home. I still never found out how he even found me. Not to mention saved my life.

"I know... But it was my only option to save you." He said with a sincere smile, a glossy look over his eyes.

"Don't cry Daniel. You did it to save me. I don't agree with you killing the guy, but I'm safe and that's all that matters."

"You're right. 15 years is a fair sentence and I deserve it." He lowered his head.

"1 more minute!" The guard behind him growled.

"Well, tell Jase I love him, and I'll be able to see him soon." A tear slipped out his eye.

"I will." I smiled, a tear slipping out of my own as well. I put the phone on the hook and picked up my bag, wasting no time getting out the door.

Kehmari Austin

I decided to go off the grid after the thing with Carson. But I was ready to make something right. I pulled up to his house and tried not to look at him in disgust when he opened the door. I gripped Sierra's hand as his eyes glossed over. He kind of looked more attractive. He grew his hair out and had a nice fade, and got his eyebrows shaped. It fit his well chiseled jawline.

"K-Kehmari... I'm so sorry!" He broke down in tears and embraced me in a hug.

"Carson, I forgive you. My body doesn't, but my mind does." I smiled slightly as Sierra looked in confusion.

"Thank you Kehmari. It had been weighing on my shoulders for so long and I-" He looked down at Sierra and lost his train of thought.

"What did we practice Si." I nudged her forward.

"Hi daddy!" She jumped into his arms and smiled wide.

"Hey baby girl... I've missed you so much." He kissed her cheek.

"Carson, I'm sorry. That day when I said that thing about her calling you Daddy... I just meant that since she didn't see you it wasn't normal for her. You hadn't been in her life for so long, and I was angry. I'm so sorry." I picked at my fingers.

"It's okay Mari."

4 hours later

"Well, dinner was great. Do you need Sierra's car seat?"

"Yeah. Duh." He tapped my forehead playfully. I pulled the seat out of the car and sat it on he step of his porch.

"Thanks. So I'll text you later?"

"Uh, yeah. I got a new number."

•••