XXIV

Erica Maxwell

"Brandon! Please!" I screamed and cried as my 19 year old cousin ran himself inside me.

At the tender age of 15, I had already had my virginity taken. By my own blood.

"Shut the fuck up and take this shit! You a woman now! You gon do what the hell I tell you to!" He growled.

10 minutes before

"Happy birthday Erica!" My family and friends all shouted as I entered the backyard of my North Carolina home. Even though I lived in the slums, I had everything I could ask for. Family, friends, and love. That was all I needed.

We all headed into the house to eat cake and chill, just as my favorite cousin, Brandon, tapped my shoulder.

I smiled brightly and hugged him tightly.

"Come here. I have a gift for you in the back. I was supposed to wait, but it's a secret. Stays between us okay?" He whispered into my ear. I nodded my head excitedly and followed him into the back bedroom. He closed the door behind him, locking it.

"Why'd you lock the door?" I asked, my smile slowly fading.

"Don't worry about it." Before I could speak again, he roughly pushed me onto the bed.

"What are you-" He slapped his large hands over my mouth, and started to strip me of my pants. My new and very first pair of VS panties my mom bought me for my birthday were exposed for him to see.

"Stop!" I yelled. This couldn't be happening. I kicked at his figure but failed to touch him.

"I'm going to enjoy this..." He smiled evilly and pulled down my panties leaving my shaved kitty to his disposal.

"Damn Erica... I never knew a 15 year old's could be this pretty. I've been watching you this whole time. You might be a kid but your body is full grown..." He stretched the full.

"NO!"

•••

Everything else was a blur. I sat on the bed and cried, everyone in the house listening intently.

They let it happen. They heard everything and didn't come to help me.

I balled my fists and cried even harder.

Months later

When I went back to school, everyone ignored me, and all my "friends" who were there that day spread the word about my raping.

I lost everyone. My family became distant from me and I had no friends. My own parents even kept their heads down any time I was around, as if they knew what happened to me was going to.

Ever since that day, I was lonely. But  I vowed that I would get out of the hood and prove everyone my self worth and become a doctor like I aspired all my life.

I sat alone at a lunch table, all eyes on me. The older kids felt bad for me and didn't want to bother me, but the kids my age made fun of me and shamed me often... for something that wasn't even my fault. The teachers and staff at school knew my situation and every time I was around them they would act strange as well. It was like the whole world was against me.