XXIII

1 messy, drama filled hour later

I left my grandma's house with Erica and Tray and decided to stop by the grocery store on the way home since my pantry was extremely empty.

Tray waited in the car as me and Erica went inside.

"So girl, what's been going on with you and work? Any cute doctors lately?" I asked while picking up some broccoli to cook tonight.

"Girl nothing. The same as always. And no, not yet." She smiled reassuringly.

"Well, something is bound to happen. I mean y- GIRL! LOOK OVER THERE!" My octave dropped to a shout-whisper as a tall toned figure appeared across the back wall of the vegetable section. He looked over at Erica excitedly and began to approach us.

"See! There are plenty of fine ass men around town that would be a perfect match for you!" I smiled at Erica.

"I don't need no man to be happy. I got my money and a wonderful career that no nigga will come between." She said cockily.

"Girl if you don't stop being so stubborn and talk to him!" I nudged her roughly until she was chest to breast with the handsome guy. She studied his face for a minute before squealing and throwing her arms around his neck. I stood there dumbfounded and confused.

"Oh my god, Bryce! I haven't seen you in years!" She exclaimed. I stood there awkwardly and waited for her to explain what the hell was going on.

"Oh! Bryce, this is my best girlfriend, Amara. Amara, this is my childhood best friend, Bryce Williams." She cheesed and stood aside so I could shake his hand.

"Hi. I'm Amara." I repeated what Erica said and stepped back to let her catch up.

"Hey Erica, I'm going to finish up my shopping so just meet me at the checkout on about 15 minutes." I smiled and left the two to mingle and catch up so I could get the rest of the shit on this list.

•••

I pushed the cart away from the checkout isle and turned slightly and saw Erica coming my way.

"So? How'd it go?" I asked, referring to the guy named Bryce.

"Great! He gave me his number too. We plan on getting together whenever he's available. He's a Neurological surgeon now, which means we have a lot on common." She smiled big, showing off her pretty dimples.

"Get some giirll!" I stuck my tongue out and had a mini turn up.

•••

After I dropped Erica off I came home and put Jase down for a nap and laid down on the couch.

"Hey baby." Tray sat next to me and kissed on my neck lightly. I giggled and pushed his head away from mine.

I looked at him for a minute before the space for Jesus that was between us was filled. He licked my bottom lip for entrance and stuck his tongue in between my lips.

Erica Maxwell

"So what do you do?" Bryce asked over the phone.