The Damn Speed Limit (23)

Nikki's POV

 “You’re right. You wanna drive?” Kody asks me. My eyes widen and I grin.

“Of course I want to drive!” I exclaim excitedly. I grab the keys from her hand, run down the stairs, and get into the driver’s seat, while Kody takes her time. She gets into the passenger seat after locking the front door. I grin when she hands me a pair of Oakley Shades.

We slide the overpriced sun glasses onto our faces and I rev the engine. Before I press the gas, I turn on the radio and the song ‘I Love It’ by Icona Pop comes on. I smile and start driving a bit faster than I should have.

If the road was empty and we were in a new car that had an awesome top speed, I was going to fly down this road.

Kody and I were loudly singing the song, but turned the volume down when I slowed the car down to the speed limit. We went to get some take out Chinese food, and drove to the hospital. We took the food up to Mr. Malik’s room and we all sat around eating.

“How do you like the car?” Justyn asks Kody. She and I look at each other and grin.

“We love it.” We both say. Justyn and Ms. Connors look at us confused.

“Kody drove there and I drove back here and to get food. Kody didn’t let me go much over the speed limit though.” I say the last part sadly. Her mom looks at me.

“How fast did she let you go?” She asks me seemingly worried about the answer.

“I was only allowed to go 150, but I had to go the damn speed limit when there were people on the road.” I say pouting, everyone but Kody’s mom chuckles.

“Don’t let her drive the car again.” Her mom says. I laugh at that, but then I realized she was serious and I stared at her.

“Why can’t I drive the car again?” I ask her sadly.

“You don’t seem like you are the safest driver.” She tells me. Kody laughs, making me stick my tongue out at her. She gives me the look. I move closer to Mr. Malik. It was creepy; she has this threatening stare that could make you jump off of a cliff just to get away from her.

“Wait, so we get to go on spy missions that are super dangerous but I can’t drive Cherri?” I ask, totally not getting the logic to that. They laugh.

“You named the car?” Justyn asks Kody.

“Duh.” She says.                                

“Sorry, hon.” Her mom says to me. I pout and eat my Chinese food. I finished my last bite and lay my head on Mr. Malik’s shoulder. I was sitting next to him on the hospital bed while the others were spread out around the room.

 Mr. Tomlinson was really quiet and I noticed he sometimes looked at Kody with a confused and sad expression on his face, but he would look away just as quickly.

It was nearing 8 pm now, and we were all exhausted.

“You girls need to get some sleep. You have to be ready to leave at four in the morning. I am meeting you at the airport.” Justyn says.

Mr. Tomlinson had gone back to the house and slept last night, and Kody had gone to the hotel room and stayed with her Mom. We were going back to the house tonight.

Everyone gets up to leave and so do I. I get up from my spot next to Mr. Malik and walk out the door. I realized I left my phone and I forgot to do something.

“I’ll be right down. I’ll meet you at the car.” I tell Kody and go back into the room. I walk over to Mr. Malik and before he can say anything, I lean down and kiss him. He responds immediately and puts his hand behind my head, pulling me a bit closer. I pull away after a few seconds. I smile and walk over to where my phone sat on the chair.

“I knew I forgot something.” I say and walk out of the room.

I got into the taxi Kody and Mr. Tomlinson, were sitting in, Kody had asked Justyn to drive the car back with him, so we had to catch a taxi to the house.

“What took you so long?” Kody asks me with a smirk.

“I forgot my phone.” I say smiling to myself.

We got to the house and went straight to our rooms. I got into the hot tub for the last time. I stayed in it for about half an hour, just soaking. Then I got out, put pajamas on, and got into the comfortable bed.

I was going to miss this place, especially the hot tub. Maybe I could talk to Headmaster Peety about installing a one in our dorm room…

…….

I was rudely awakened, by being hit with a pillow many times. I groaned and tried to ignore it.

“Nikki, we have ten minutes until the car gets here.” Kody says hitting me with the pillow again. I sat up and glared at her.

I got out of the bed and put on a pair of Yoga pants and a sweat shirt. I brushed my teeth and pulled my hair into a messy bun. We had five minutes left and my alarm clock went off.

“How come you couldn’t let me sleep for five more minutes?” I whine. She chuckles. She was wide awake and in a good mood. It wasn’t even four am and she was freaking perky.

“You can sleep on the car ride to the Air Port and on the plane. Now, let’s go, the car should be here any minute. We took the suit cases we packed yesterday and went downstairs into the living room. We both had two suitcases and our carry-ons.

When the car pulled into the drive way we loaded our bags into the trunk and got into the backseat. I rested my head against the window and fell asleep.

…….

I was shaken awake some time later by Kody.

“We are here the plane is boarding now, we don’t have to go through security. We were told to just go to the private jet; Justyn’s waiting for us at the entrance gate.” She tells me. I nod and we head to the gate. I was still tired, so I got onto the jet and went to sleep again.

I woke up half way through the ride and Kody was asleep, along with Justyn. They were the only two people on board considering it was a private jet. I was bored and so I took out my phone and texted Vikki for a bit.

About 15 minutes before we landed I woke up Kody and Justyn. When they were awake, I told them we were landing soon. They both just gave me the look. It was actually kinda scary how they could do it so well, and at the same time. I shrunk into my seat and put my seatbelt on.

……..

We were now getting our luggage out of the cab we had taken to the academy. We walked up the steps and went inside. Justyn went straight to Headmaster Peety’s office and Kody and I went to our room. I opened the door and my face broke out into a grin when I saw my best friend listening to music on her bed. I dropped my luggage and ran to her.

We hugged for a quite some time, until we could barely breath we were squeezing each other so tightly.

“I was so lonely! It was weird not having anyone sleeping in the room. How was Washington? Did you get me anything?” Vikki asks me. I chuckle.

“It was…. eventful to say the least. I do have stuff for you.” I say then grab my bags and drag them to my bed.

For the next few hours we talked and at one point Kody left to talk to her brother. I told Vikki every detail about the mission, the house, Malia, the White House, meeting the President, our fake boyfriends, the blackmailing, the plan, how Mr. Malik had died for a few seconds, how Kody saved his life, the kiss. By the time I was done explaining it all, it was nearly 10 at night. She then showed me pictures of the yet again eyebrow-less Mr. Horan, and updated me on the new teachers they had to substitute for Mr. Tomlinson and Mr. Malik. Kody came back and we included her in our conversations. We talked for a long time. Eventually all three of us fell asleep. It was so good to be back at the Academy.