Getting To Know Vikki

Kody's POV

          Mr. Tomlinson left ten minutes ago, looking like a kicked puppy. I felt bad, but couldn’t care much. Anger was coursing through me. Nikki opened the door and walked in with Vikki.

          “I saw Mr. Malik in the hallway.” She says, sitting down on her bed with a sigh.

          She goes on, telling us that he was kissing another girl. I felt really bad for her, since she really liked him. Her running shoes were peeking out of the closet, and she grabbed them. As soon as she started lacing them up, I knew what she was doing.

          “I am going running, alone.” She says, and walks out the door.

          Vikki and I sit in awkward silence for a few minutes. “So…” She tries to start a conversation, but nothing seems to come to her.

          “Ask me anything. By now, I have a lot to hide from a lot of people, but I can share with you.” She nods.

          “What kind of shit happened to you? It’s obvious something bad happened, or you wouldn’t have skipped classes today.” I nod.

          “I killed someone.” I mumble. Her eyes widen.

          “You what?” I turn to look her in the eyes, my gaze incredibly intense. She looks uncomfortable as I keep my eyes on her.

          “I killed someone.” I say clearer. “I took a life. I shot her through the head. I feel awful, and don’t know how to deal with it. I would rather focus on Nikki’s boy issues. Mine are crushing me, and I want a reprieve.” She nods slowly.

          “You should talk about it, though. I bet it would make you feel better. Or, we can go downstairs and hit a punching bag.” I smile.

          “That actually sounds nice. I think Nikki and I will do that tomorrow morning.” She smiles, glad that she helped a bit.

          “Anything else?” I shake my head no.

          “Nope. None.” I say, “We should get us some food, and come back up here to wait for Nikki.” She smiles and nods.

          The cafeteria is empty when we walk down there. I check my watch. It isn’t dark outside yet, but it will be in about an hour.

          I get a salad and a packet of ranch to go upstairs with me. Vikki does the same.

          We walk back into the room and dig in. I eat quickly, not realizing until then how little I’ve eaten today.

          “How did you cope without us?” I ask through a mouthful of lettuce.

          “I texted Nikki most of the time. Whenever I felt lonely at night, I would even call.” I smile.

          “I like that me and you can bond. I haven’t gotten a chance to know you since I arrived.” She smiles and nods. I can see that she feels the same.

          “I feel awkward saying this, but do you know how beautiful you are?” Vikki looks down at the ground with the compliment. I can see she doesn’t feel completely the same. She dresses like she knows she is hot, but must not actually see the appeal.

          “Thanks. You are as well. I love your hair, the way is just cascades down your back. I wish my hair looked like that.” I laugh.

          “My hair isn’t anything special.” She scoffs.

          “You’re kidding right? It’s like, modeling hair.” I shake my head.