Second Chances and a Bamboo Pole

Kody's POV

          Here is the thing about crushes. When you have them, you smile whenever you see that person. You feel a little happier when they walk past you and say hello. But you grow out of crushes, and the person you thought you liked, became no more than a friend.

          But I don’t feel like I have crush. I feel different. This isn’t an everyday feeling, and when I walked out of the one-on-one sparring room, I knew I had done something incredibly wrong. I felt sick to my stomach, and my heart was beating quickly. I could barely breathe, and the more I replayed those words, the worse I felt.

          I went back upstairs, feeling a little numb. That tear that ran down Mr. Tomlinson’s face had hit me hard.

          I feel like I have ruined him. I made the mistake by saying what I had said. I didn’t feel like that. I felt entirely different. He wasn’t just a teacher crush; he was so much more than that. The kiss may have been in the heat of the moment, but it meant too much to be nothing.  I can’t believe it took me breaking his heart to figure out what he actually means to me. I really like him.

          Somehow I had to take back what I said. I want him to know that I was wrong, and I want another chance. I came back to the room last night and curled into bed without saying a word.

          I got absolutely no sleep, and stood up when my alarm clock showed 4 in the morning. Nikki would be getting up in half an hour.

          I went into the bathroom and turned the shower as high as it could go. The water was boiling, but when I got in, it felt cold as it ran down my back. I washed my hair and body, and stayed in the water as it washed all of the dirt and grime down the drain. My cast was in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.

          As soon as I was done, I stepped out and wrapped a towel around my body. I grabbed a second one from the closet and put my hair up in it.

          Nikki’s alarm clock sounded from in the room and I exited the steamy bathroom. “What are you doing up?” Nikki asks me as I walk to my closet.

          “I am going to join you this morning.” I shuffle through all of my clothes and pull out a red cami and black workout shorts. Nikki stands and walks into the bathroom.

          “Mind braiding my hair for me, since my wrist is still broken? I can’t do it myself.” I say when Nikki comes out of the bathroom to grab her brush. She sighs and pulls it back into a braid, then goes back into the bathroom for her shower.

          I pull on my clothes and when Nikki is done and dressed, we make our way downstairs for breakfast.

          I don’t eat much, since my stomach feels uneasy. Nikki gives me a few funny looks, but continues to eat her food. When she is done, we take our plates up. No one but us and the teachers are up this early, so the cafeteria is mostly empty.

          Mr. Horan and Mr. Styles are sitting at a table talking, but they are the only ones in here. I think Nikki is glad Mr. Malik isn’t here right now.

          I walk into the sparring room with Nikki, and Mr. Tomlinson jerks to his feet when he sees me.

          I nod to him and make my way to the supply closet. I grab the tape and try to wrap my one hand with it. I do an okay job, and walk to the punching bag in the corner of the room.

          I feel Mr. Tomlinson’s eyes burning into my back. A tear starts to form in the corner of my eye, but blink it away.

          I hit the punching bag with a loud grunt, and start kicking. I take all of my anger, sadness, frustration, and heartache out on the bag. By the time I am tired of hitting the inanimate object, I turn to see Nikki doing a seventh year move incorrectly.