8: Dinner with the Devil

It was Valentine's Day. Cassie absolutely loved the surprise. She even started crying happy tears at lunch when she saw what her locker was full of. This morning the student council had set up a message box. It was where anybody could send letters and messages to their Valentine. They could send them even if the two weren't dating. Some were secret and some were letters asking to be girlfriend and boyfriend. Steph and I both got two from Jesse and Caleb saying that they loved us in a friendly way. But I got another one saying I really like you. It wasn't signed so Steph and Cass were going on about how exciting it was to have a secret admirer. Girls.

Brandon, Jesse and Caleb got heaps. By heaps I mean heaps. Brandon got the most from girls saying that they really liked him. Jesse and Caleb got around the same amount as each other.

I told Justin about Brandon's dad invited us over for dinner and he was very reluctant, but in the end, he said yes. I was currently picking out an outfit to wear. I decided on a simple mid-thigh dress that was completely black at the top and has a nice turquoise and brown design down the bottom. I topped it off with turquoise flats and earrings and a brown shoulder purse.

I went downstairs to find that both my brothers were on their phones. Technology these days.

"We ready?"

"Yeah, let's go."

________________________________________

So where are your parents?" asked Brandon's step-mum while I was putting some turkey tetrazzini in my plate.

"In heaven," replied Jace.

"Oh-oh I'm really very sorr-"

"It's all good."

"How do you pay for everything? asked Mr Owens.

"David!" said Mrs Owens, clearly not approving of his in-sensitiveness.

"Well, our uncle is kind enough to help us out. I work at the little coffee shop near Centre Mall and Justin is a kickboxing trainer."

I didn't lie to them, it was all true, I just missed out the part where Justin also illegally fights and gets thousands every time he wins.

"So how are you liking it here?" asked Mrs Owens, trying to change the subject.

"It's nice. It's different to Cali, but we like it."

"How's the dinner?"

"It's lovely," smiled Justin. Yes, ladies and gentleman, he is capable of smiling at very rare moments.

Brandon scoffed.

"Don't start," said his father very seriously.

"Start what?" he asked, feigning innocence.

His father just glared at him.

Totally not awkward.

We continued talking about random things and once we were done with dinner and dessert I helped Mrs Owens clear. We were now sitting on their couch and talking to Mr Owens.

Brandon was glaring at me. It made me very uncomfortable. At one point in the kitchen, Mrs Owens even asked me what I thought about Brandon. That was awkward. I mean, what was I supposed to say? Your son is an ass. He has the worst attitude ever. He's freakin' bipolar and makes me want to decapitate his head. Yeah, sure, go ahead and say that. It's not like she's going to mind.

Instead, I said that he is hard to handle but he has a good heart. That was true though. He was a good person deep inside. Deep, deep inside.

Somethings up with him. Something is up with his whole families act of hostility toward one another. It was in the air the second I walked into their house.

It's just really hard to tell when he's all guarded and only has one expression: a blank canvas. I saw some baby and early teenage pictures of him around the house where he looked absolutely adorable and carefree. I guess I could say the same thing about me. I used to be genuinely happy all the time, without a single care in the world. Some of it came back to me in Cali. I mean they couldn't get me because Uncle Ricky had hi-tech security, hi-tech everything. But now. I'm completely defenceless, my own brother hates me.

"Kate, are you okay?" asked a concerned looking Jace.

"Yeah, anyway, sorry what are we talking about?"

"Nothing much, we were just talking about my business," said Mr Owens.

"Of course you were," said Brandon, deadpan.

"We should really get going now," said Jace.

And at that exact moment, I saw something flash on Justin's phone.

"Thank you so much for the lovely dinner, Mrs Owens."

"Oh of course, please come around again, we love the company and I'm sure Brandon enjoys it too." Brandon just grunted in response. Mr Owens gave him a stern look but he remained unfazed.

We were just leaving when I saw Justin quickly turning off his phone so no one saw the image and text he had been sent. But he was a little too late. It was disturbing as hell. There was a girl on it wearing black lingerie and the caption said I know I you want it.

That was the exact moment I was ready to carry out the plan.

Vote

Fan

Comment

Share

Smile