35: It's all the Oreos you've been eating

Brandon's coming over. The mere thought of him makes me want to start jumping up and down in happiness. I still don't understand why I feel this way. I mean, I know I like him and everything, but this has never happened to me before. I've never wanted to stare at someones face so much. Now I sound like a creep.

The chirpy sound of the doorbell sends a shiver through me as the wall of anticipation that's somehow built itself into my stomach breaks and I hear familiar footsteps echo through the room. No knocks, just barge in, of course, I'm okay with the breach of my privacy.

I quickly get up from the bed and without realising I trip over my own two feet. It feels like I'm endlessly falling without a destination until I feel a gentle but firm grip on my waist, breaking my fall. I look up to meet a pair of clear green, amused eyes.

"And somebody says they're not clumsy," he says with a soft chuckle.

My face is only inches away from his and I can't help but notice his damp red lips. It feels as if they're creeping slowly and painfully to mine. My brain goes into panic mode and I clear my throat, making us both part away. See, that's how smooth I am at these kinds of things and why everybody is just dying to get flirting advice from me.

"I have a very important announcement to make," just as the words leave my mouth Jace swings the door open and says, "she's pregnant."
Brandon's whole body turns rigid but soon an amused expression takes over.

"It's true." Brandon swivels his head around in my direction and his whole body is stiff again.

"I-I haven't told anyone, only Jace. I don't know what to do, I don't-don't even know how it happened. I was so careful and-"

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Brandon, this is a very tough time for her, there is a baby living inside that thing she calls a stomach. Although, I still think it's all the Oreos you've been eating, but okay."

"I don't know what to do, I don't know how to tell Justin."

"Who?" He demands.

"Who what?"

"Who's damn," he seemed as though he had to choke the word out, "father?"

"I can't-I can't tell you," I whispered.

"Oh, my fuck. Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me you are fucking kidding me, Kate!"

"Okay," I say and he stares at me with an incredulous expression.

Jace and I look at each other and burst out laughing. "Oh-ohhh m-my gosh! I can't believe you-you fell for that," Jace says between fits of laughter. Brandon seems relieved but at the same time so pissed off. Finally, when our laughter dies down (after like 10 whole minutes) Jace leaves closing the door behind him so that I can tell Brandon the announcement.

Jace and I didn't plan that. At all. I don't know, when he came in and said it, I just felt like going along with it. The look on his face was priceless and totally worth it. "Ha! I win." I say joyfully thinking about our little prank war.

He's looking at me with a childish imitation of anger. His face contorts itself into a pout. Yes, a pout! And he looks so adorable with his dimples. The two essential organs in my body have seemed to have taken a break from their jobs as my brain decides to send me into the stare-intently-at-him-because-this-is-your-only-chance mode and my heart pretty much just stops.

"I told Justin about the fake dating plan," I say suddenly.

"What? Why?" He seems perplexed but also angry.

"We had this whole family bonding session where we pretty much just talked about life and a lot of other things. I don't want to lie to Justin anymore. It's not right and now, believe it or not, Justin and I are actually on good terms. Really good terms. We talked about all the issues and why he was always such a misogynistic ass."

"Wait, so you told them about the emails?" A lump forms itself in my throat, refusing to go away.

"No," I say quietly. "But we all talked a lot about that night and Justin doesn't blame me."

"But you do. You blame yourself for that night." Its like he jogged through my mind and connected all the pieces that were hiding away from everyone's knowledge. "Can we please not get into that?"

He moves closer to me so that we are only 15 centimetres away and turns so that his storm flecked green eyes penetrate right through mine.
He grabs my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine. His other hand gently tucks a tuft of hair away from my face and behind my ear. Silence. All I can hear is the drum of his heartbeat and mine. His, steady. Mine, erratic from the sensation of his gentle touches that tingle their way through my body. His hand is still laced with mine but suddenly, softly he cups my face with his other hand and gently caresses my cheek. The tingles are like waves now, crashing through me and only getting stronger with every passing second.

"You can't blame yourself Klumsy, you were only eleven," he whispers.

The familiarity of him calling me that immediately and instinctively relaxes me.
He brings his forehead to mine and we both close our eyes. His hand travels down to my neck, resting it there and I can't find an ounce of me that objects.

When I don't reply he says, "why did you have to tell Justin about the whole thing?"
"I already told you," I say opening my eyes only to find that his are still closed. He looks so calm and at peace that I can't help but smile.

"Can't we just continue it?" I'm taken aback by his question. I voice my thoughts by saying, "why would you want to continue it?"

"Because Klumsy," he says and after a long moment adds, "I like spending time with you."

Vote

Fan

Comment

Share

Smile