21: Are we friends?

Today was Monday. Today was the game Jace had been waiting impatiently for. He was beyond excited. He was literally jumping up and down. We were all sitting on the bleachers waiting for the team to finish their huddle and start the game. We-North Gold High was playing against Klen View High.

The air was filled with enthusiasm and excitement. The crowd was already cheering and the cheerleaders were getting into their routine and the game was due to start at any moment now.

Cass and I were showing our support by wearing jerseys. Jace had given me his and Tobias had given her his. Steph couldn't make it. She had some advanced algebra to finish. Finishing assignments reminds me of Brandon and I were partnered together on a history assignment. We had to hand it in by Friday. So tomorrow and maybe the day after, I was going to go to his place.

The game started and everybody was up shouting for the team they were supporting. I was never exactly a football fan. Jace always forced me to watch it with him but I never got why everybody was so interested in a bunch of grown men chase a ball. I was only here watching them because this was Jace's first game at North Gold High. And I also wanted to see for myself if Brandon was as good as everyone said he was. I always thought that Brandon would boast about it if he really was good, but he never did.

I was watching them right now and noticed that Brandon was indeed a good and essential player. He was fast, he knew how to tackle and how to use agility to his advantage. I wasn't paying attention but then all of a sudden the crowd sitting in the North Gold High bleachers stood up and started dancing around and cheering. I took that as a hint that our team had scored.

The game went on like that. I continued to sit there and pretend that I was paying attention. It wasn't boring actually, people dancing around entertained me half the time. The cheerleaders had perfected their routine and it looked amazing.

When the game ended, the boys all went to their locker rooms to shower and change. The game was a tie. People were conversing with each other about how the game went. People from our school thought that the opposing team cheated and our rivals had the exact same thoughts about us. I was heading to our car when I saw a familiar face talking to a person.

I couldn't quite make out who it was until he spun around. I quickly turned around so I didn't catch his eye. He went to the opposing team's school. This was not happening. This couldn't be happening. Rustin could not be from Klen View High. The group already hated his school with a passion, if Brandon found out that he went to this school, he would be dead in the next five seconds.

I couldn't let that happen. Brandon wasn't exactly the best at controlling his temper. I put my stuff in the car and then headed back to where Cass was. Brandon and Jace came out the moment I reached Cass.

"Great game you two," I said. Jace smiled and Brandon just nodded.

Cass smiled at them. She was waiting for Tobias and the others to come out. We had to be home in time for dinner so we were leaving early.

"Kate, is that the prick who did that to you?" Brandon asked after pulling me in a corner with his fists and jaw clenched. Jace and Cassie were too busy talking about the game to notice. I was momentarily confused but it all made sense when I turned around and saw Rustin talking to a group of guys and three girls that were wearing clothes close to nothing. They seemed like another version of Olivia and her posse. Actually, I think that it was Olivia and her posse.

"Nope. I don't think I've seen him before." Brandon grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him when I went to walk back to Cass and Jace. He asked me the same question again and I replied with a quiet mumble of yes.

Brandon let go of my hand and was walking over to them when I stopped him. I don't get why he was going all protective on my butt. Justin wasn't here. We didn't have to convince anybody here that we were girlfriend and boyfriend. But the plan was going really well. Justin genuinely thinks that I like him and that Brandon likes me. He said that Brandon proved it by the way he looked at me with love and care. We just had to give it another day until like turned to love and then a couple of other days to get Brandon to fake break up with me. Justin was still an ass hole with me, but he seemed to turn his asshole-ness down a few notches these past few days.

"Brandon, please just let it go."

"How the fuck am I supposed to let it go? He fucking abused you. That little prick abused you. There is no way in hell that I'm letting this go." He did care. Whether he admitted it or not, he did care about me. Why?

"Brandon, you're not my real boyfriend. Let it go."

"I don't fucking care about that shit. He abused you and he is going to regret it."

And before I could stop him, he was off. Walking in strides far too quick for me to catch up with. Oh no. As soon as he approached them, Olivia looked delighted. "Look who came to join us." Without so much as a warning or even a breath out of beat, Rustin was being pummeled ruthlessly against the car he was leaning against.

Vote

Fan

Comment

Share

Smile