1

Maura would never forget the first time she crossed that door. 

It was only two nights ago. She arrived before everyone else since she was the only girl of the team to play for Kansas City. After dropping her huge bag on her bed, she locked her room door and rushed to the field. It was a very long corridor, and that door in the end of if. She just opened it, and was immediately blown away by the huge stadium, that would be totally filled with people in less than a week. 

The roaster had just been released. Maura was the first one surprised to see her name on the prestigious list. She didn't except it. She didn't go to any of the previous camps, and only played in the NWSL for two months now. But Becky helped her training, spending her free-time to train her on the field, lightened by two big spots. The former co-captain really wanted Maura to succeed in what she was doing. She was kind of the mini-her, and Becky insisted so that Maura would wear the number 4 jersey. 

Now that she was officially here, in the huge stadium of Toyota Park in Chicago, she felt her heart beat faster in her chest. They had three teams to beat in order to take the first spot and assure their qualification. They were expected to play Colombia in five days - a bitter taste for some of the girls that were at the Olympics after a deceiving 2-2 draw - and then welcome South Africa and Sweden. In other words, that was the group of death

Maura sat down on the ground, and looked around her. 

"Pretty cool, uhn ?" a deep voice said behind her. 

She jumped on her feet, truly surprised, to discover Kelley O'Hara. Maura had already played against the girl, but never got to really speak to her. She was one of the veterans of the team, at 31 years old. But she didn't seem to have lost her strange sense of humor and childish eyes. She was smirking. 

"Y-yah, totally c-cool" Maura muttered. 

The truth was that she wasn't good in talking with people. She was way too shy. And having someone as impressive and confident as Kelley was just in front of her didn't help. On top of that, she noticed that another girl was approaching them. It was one of Kelley's teammates in Sky Blue, but Maura had never seen her at a game before. Last time they played that team, she was sick or something.

The girl was very pretty, and seemed to have some European origins. Her hair were brown/blonde and pretty soft, while her intense gaze was colored in a mixture or grey-black-green. She was quite surprised to notice that the girl was as shy as Maura was. At least she seemed like she was until she opened her mouth. 

"I'm Kealia" she said in a very confident tone, presenting her hand to Maura. 

The brunette shook it.

"Maura" she said, shaking then Kelley's hand. 

"Yah, Becky told me about you" the freckled girl let out mysteriously. "She's got high hopes about you, and I can't wait to see you play. She said you were a magician with the ball." 

"She probably embellished the whole thing" I muttered, feeling my cheeks burning. 

That seemed to make the two girls, who were just exchanging looks, all smiles. 

"We will see, I guess" Kelley let out, smirking. 

As they were going to go to their respective room, they heard some noise from the corridor. That meant that some girls had just arrived.   

°

"Portland's squad is here !" 

Kelley could've recognized this voice even if she was standing in the middle of a crowded and noisy room. She ran into Tobin's arms, and the brunette had to let her bag fall on the ground to hold her tight as well. 

Just behind Tobin were standing the rest of her teammates. Obviously being in a very deep talk, Lindsey and Emily were advancing to the dining room in order to drop their things here. They passed next to Maura and Kayla, who were awkwardly waiting for them to come and greet them. Once they did, the four girls began to talk for a while, and seemed to get along pretty well. 

When Kelley finally let go of Tobin, her eyes fell on her. Her throat immediately became sore, as her eyes were fighting not to be blinded by such a beauty that was Allie Long. It had been a year since they've broken things off now. They played a couple games against each other since, but didn't really have the occasion to have a real chat. And it didn't seem to bother Allie, because she quickly greeted her and then joined the other group. 

Tobin looked at her friend, sighing. 

"You still love her, don't you ?" 

Kelley almost chocked on her saliva. 

"No ! Of course not !  I have a girlfriend I remind you !" she hissed, hoping that Allie didn't hear any of that. 

"The eyes don't lie, Kels" Tobin said, before turning around. 

The Georgia girl rolled her eyes, and went to greet Lindsey and Emily. Both of them just literally jumped in her arms. Even though Kelley was 31 years old, she was less mature than most of the newbies. But she didn't care, because she only lived once ! But it was true that seeing Allie again was bringing up so many emotions, and that annoyed her. It's been one full year, and she still wasn't able to forget her ? 

Speaking of which, Allie was talking with Kealia, probably because she was the newest addition of the midfield, and that Allie and Tobin were ruling it. Her jawline was still sharp, and Kelley just wanted to escape this room. But she couldn't. 

"Is she... with someone ?" Kelley asked, not daring to look at her friend. 

That made Tobin burst into laughter, and look down at her. 

"No. There only is you, now and forever" Tobin murmured, before joining her best friend. 

Ever since Alex announced her pregnancy - which only was three months ago - the two girls felt like they've been abandoned. Of course they were happy for Alex and Serva ; they knew they'd be the godmothers for sure - but they missed their friend. Ever since the Olympics ended, the three of them just helped each other getting back on track. 

Kelley's eyes went wide. 

"Did she really say that ?" she asked shyly. 

"Of course not, we're still talking about Allie Long" Tobin responded, rolling her eyes. "But I know how she feels, because when she looks at you, I can see regrets." She then took a little break, before saying : "That's exactly how you look at her as well".

"I don't-" Kelley tried to argue. 

But Tobin was already joining her new teammates in order to introduce herself. Kelley felt a strange feeling in her stomach, and decided to find the head coach of the team for two years now ; Mark Parsons.