25

From : Cari <3

Hey Bean. Can't be here today, but I'm here by spirit. I hope you'll kick some asses here, I see you soon. 

Oh, and I go back to East Islip during the break, so I will see you next camp. 

________________________________________________

"It is game day here in this beautiful stadium ! The late November sun is shining, while the temperature are still pretty good ! The USWNT - already qualified for the Women's World Cup next year - will take on South Africa, a team they've always faced once before. Dunn scored the only goal of the game, putting the US ahead. The best African team will try their best to beat their opponents, while head coach Parsons changed the roster again !" 

Heather Mitts was sitting across from Lotta Schelin, who was passing by, so the production decided to invite her here. Karina LeBlanc was also here. 

"That's true" the Canadian said. "Michelle Betos, the Portland Thorns goalkeeper that won 'best NWSL goalkeeper for the third time in a row, will be starting in goal. She's got a strong back line to help her keep the clean sheet : Johnston and Marovic will share the center defense, while O'Hara and Rys will be on the sides. Those defensive half of the field is pretty good this year ! The chemistry between the six defenders selected by Parsons for the World Cup is unbelievable, and they didn't allow any goal, and very few opportunities for now." 

The commentators nodded in sinc. 

"The midfield is once again ruled by Tobin Heath, the captain for the night, alongside Ohai in the attacking mid, and then Brian and Kristie Mewis for the defensive mid. Kristie Mewis, only player for the Boston Breakers on the NT, who earns her first start since 2014." Karina went on, looking at her fellow colleges. "And last but certainly not least, Press is back upfront, starting with Pugh this time." 

"A very strong team indeed, filled with young and talented players, and veterans that aren't done with soccer yet" Heather said, laughing. "What a great match it will be." 

°

Moe rushed in the locker room. She usually wasn't the one leaving the field first, especially after a great win against the last team they'll face before the actual World Cup. But she really wanted to speak her heart out. 

She waited to Cari to answer the phone. 

"Morgan ?" 

Cari's voice seemed weak. 

"Cari ? Where the hell are you ?" Moe immediately asked. 

She was still shocked by Cari's sudden departure. She shouldn't care that much, because now she knew she was - at least physically - okay. She wasn't dead or something. But the thing was that she did care. 

"Uhm, I'm in a cab in New York right now" 

"Why did you left ?" 

"What did Mark tell you ?" 

"Nothing ! He didn't tell us a thing !" Moe angrily exclaimed. Her voice was now determined, and she knew it wasn't the best strategy ever. Cari would be scared and just hung up, and eventually ignoring Moe's texts and calls until they meet back in camp, and that wasn't what the middy wanted. She took a deep breath. "Sorry for yelling. I'm just so worried..." 

"You don't need to be, it's-" Cari started. 

"Don't say it's okay, because I am worried. What are you doing back in New York ?"

"I'm sorry, but I really need to go now, I'm arriving" Cari quickly said, before Moe heard some noises on the other side of the phone. "I'll miss you. See you in one month." 

With that said, she got off the phone. And Moe sat down on the locker room, tears filling her eyes. Why am I so emotional ? She's fine. But the middy knew exactly why she was that sad right now. 

I am in love with Cari Roccaro. 

°

The girls gathered in the common room, and made a circle. Mark, Abby and Nadine were also here, smiling. The head coach made a motivational speech to congratulate his players, that did amazing. Winning 2-0 against South Africa was very good. Actually, they improved since last time. 

Then, Abby started talking. 

"So" she said, smiling. "We did it. The US back at it again. But we don't have to be overconfident : the road will be tough. Great teams will be here as well, and we have to be prepared. So take this month off, don't forget to work on your soccer, and we will meet again for the last prep camp in Colorado. I count on you to rest and be ready for an emotional roller-coaster and nerve-breaking adventure. But I believe. I believe in this team that I cherish, I believe in each and everyone of you. I believe. And you should believe too." 

The girls cheered loudly, while Abby was preparing to keep on speaking. 

"Whatever happens, you can be proud and keep your heads up. America loves you. And maybe we will be able to bring that trophy back again ! Those past few years has been tough, but the future is bright ! WE BELIEVE !"

"WE BELIEVE !" the girls all yelled. 

They all hugged each other and shared this last moment of happiness before serious stuffs would begin. 

°°°

Christen and Julie left the next morning for Amsterdam, hand in hand. They had a blast, and fell even more in love with each other than before (as if it was possible)

Lindsey spent her time with her two best friends in Portland, glad to have a month away from Sonnett. The blonde, on the other hand, was regretting her words and acts, wondering if she should've just wanted to stay friends with the brunette, that was making her feel something she absolutely didn't want to feel now. 

Kelley and Allie flew in Georgia, where they spend their off-time with the O'Hara, who had become a second family for the blonde. Tobin joined them, and tried to forget about the growing attraction she was having towards Kealia. And Alex joined them as well with Servando, and they spend amazing holidays. 

Morgan got back to her family for Christmas, and tried to stop thinking about Cari, but didn't succeed in doing so. She took an important decision that could change a lot of things between them. 

Jenko got back to Seattle, but Mal and her never stopped texting each other. With time flying by so quickly, the two girls discovered that, despite the fact that they barely had anything in common, they ended up getting along pretty well. 

At the end of the break, they all headed back to camp, in Colorado.