58

Moe entered the room, not that confident. 

But she immediately relaxed : Cari was asleep on Moe's bed, still dressed with her training. The middy carefully closed the door behind her and Sam, while the blonde just joined Lindsey on her own bed to talk. Moe then carefully looked at her girlfriend - she still couldn't believe they actually were a thing now, and that they were official. It was very much official since Lauren went and talked to her about that. Moe was afraid of Cari's reaction toward her almost mama, but the defender just looked down and ran away. Once Cheney apologized for overreacting, Cari just came back and was normal again. 

She carefully put a cover on Cari's body, slipping under it as well. She knew her friends were watching, but she didn't care. As soon as Moe was under the covers, Cari moved and her head was resting on Moe's chest. The middy softly caressed Cari's back, while looking at her with a stupid smile on. 

The door opened, and Sonnett, Kristie and Steph made an entrance. The group of friends just sat there, while Cari was slowly waking up. While the other girls were just talking on the other bed, Moe let her lips wander on Cari's neck. Her response wasn't long to come ; she shivered, and moaned. 

"Baby" Moe whispered, before placing a light kiss on her jawline. 

"Mmmmmmmh" Cari groaned, placing her hands on her face. 

"Come on, team dinner is in ten" the middy insisted, shaking Cari a little bit. "Besides, the game is in two days." 

That made Cari totally open her eyes, and just stare at her girlfriend. 

"Fine" she murmured. "I'm awake." 

Moe didn't think long before pecking Cari's lips. The defender, who hadn't had enough, grabbed her neck and pulled her closer. Their lips met again, and they felt the people around them just smiling. 

"You guys get a room please !" Stephanie yelled. 

That caused the girls to laugh. 

"Well, we weren't the one making noises last night..." Moe said, glaring at the brunette and her girlfriend. 

Kristie seemed to blush, as Sam just rolled her eyes. 

"I didn't need to know that" she muttered. 

The girls burst out laughing. 

°

"Are you ready ?" Mal carefully asked. 

The sun was shining today on Paris. 

The other girls were already at the hotel, probably eating something. Mal decided to stay in Lyon with the goalkeeper, so they could do the flight to Paris together. Besides, she didn't mind having more time to spend with her. She found it funny how someone she despised became the person she cared the most about. They were now on a taxi to the hotel. Jenko was nervously playing with Mal's hands. 

She looked up at her, and her face was neutral. 

"I'm just coming back to support them, not play with them" the goalkeeper said, trying to hide her disappointment. "There's nothing to be ready for."

Mal bit her lips. Shit, I'm so stupid. She knew not playing the finale was a bummer, but she also knew Ash would handle it. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"It's okay" Jenko said with a weak smile. "You're right ; I am nervous. I don't want everyone to have pity on me"

The forward frowned. "Those girls care about you, that's all." 

Jenko nodded.

For once, the goalkeeper actually felt loved. Not only by Mal - even if it was so important to her right now - but being accepted in a whole team, that was more like a family. That never happened before, and the blonde had the impression that Alyssa's death had brought the girls even closer together. Mal had told her that she was on the phone with Sam earlier, and that the middy asked about her. Nobody, except Rose (the old lady that took care of her) ever asked her how she was. 

The tattooed girl just looked down at Mal, who was sitting next to her. When they arrived at the hotel, and that Mal grabbed Jenko's bag - because she didn't want her to carry anything heavy right now - the keeper stopped walking. 

Mal turned around, her caring eyes on her. 

"What ? Do you need more time or-" the forward immediately asked.

Jenko smirked. "I am just so lucky to have you. I am realizing that now." She then got closer to the dark-haired, and put her arm around her shoulders, bringing their faces closer to each other. "Thank you for what you did." 

"I didn't do anything that wasn't natural" Mal said, shrugging. "I told you I would take care of you and make sure nothing bad happens to you."

"I was the one saying that, remember ?" the blonde frowned. 

That made Mal laugh. "I guess you were right for once, Jenks

Jenko raised her eyebrows, but didn't think long. She kissed Mal's lips with tenderness, and only pulled away to their noses would touch. 

"Come on, princess. You've missed enough practice sessions because of me already" the keeper muttered. "I need you to win that thing for me." 

Mal smiled, and they entered the hotel together. 

°

During training, Julie go called on the sideline by Mark. 

Some of the former players were playing with the team so they could play a full game to practice France's strategy. When the head coach made a sign to the co-captain, the blonde immediately turned around. Becky was waiting for her not so far away, arms crossed against her chest. When Julie finally got next to her, the defender pulled her into a tight hug. 

"Oh, kid. I'm so proud of you" Becky whispered in her ear.

Becky had always been Julie's mentor. She was there during her first camp, and Julie was the first person she held when she got out of the pitch for the final time on the international level. The two women were very close, and Julie saw Becky like her absolute role model, a woman that didn't have enough recognition. 

They pulled away, and a tear rolled down Becky's cheek. 

"What you did during this semi-finale... It was..." Becky started, trying to chose the right words to express what she was thinking. "That's exactly what I saw in you the first day we trained together. A leader. A tremendous player. I am so glad you're the one directing the back line right now. You're out legacy. Cap's. Kriegy's. Kling's. Whit's. And, Gosh, you were able to accomplish something I wasn't able to accomplish : canalize Kelley's childish attitude. You truly are the best defender I've ever played with. I am so proud." 

Julie was emotional right now. The Brick Wall had disappeared when Becky, Kling and Ali retired. They were the Brick Wall during the 2015 World Cup. They won it all together, and it didn't feel the same now. Even though the newbies were great, they couldn't totally replace the Brick Wall

The blonde smiled. 

"I had a heck of a model to look up to" she said. 

They hugged again, and this time both of them were really crying. Becky was the first one to pull it together, and said : 

"There is something I need to tell you, Jules." The defender looked at her, frowning. Becky took a deep breath. "Since Saskia's ankle isn't getting better, and that Maura got hurt during training the other day, they need another defender." 

Becky smiled, and Julie immediately felt excited. Is it really what I think it is ? she thought, trying to hide her excitement.  

"Mmh-mmh ?" she asked, impatiently tapping her foot on the ground. 

"I say yes. We're playing this finale together, kid." 

She didn't have the time to really finish her sentence that Julie had already jumped into her arms.