2

"Welcome ladies"

Mark Parsons's voice echoed in everybody's mind. The wait was finally over. After three years, they would be back into action. Of course they had a lot of friendlies, but that had nothing to do with such a tournament as the World Cup was. The qualification matches were just around the corner, and everybody could feel the excitement. 

All the girls were now here. Some of them - those coming from Orlando - just arrived this morning and were pretty tired. But everybody was here and safe, and training would begin in less than fifteen minutes. Abby Wambach, the assistant coach, was here as well, trying not to make any eye contact with Sydney, who was her best friend. 

Mark looked around him. He was the only man at camps, and got used to it. It wasn't like if he had a choice anyway. 

"Now is a crucial time" he went on, looking around the room. "America have been waiting for this moment since 2016. The revenge we talked about is here soon. Even though we are facing two of the teams that defeated us in Colombia and Sweden, we have to stay confident. We can go through this if every single one of you is focused." He then looked at Tobin and Julie, and smiled. "I think our two captains have a word for you." 

The two players got up. Christen was very proud of her girlfriend : she wasn't that old, and was younger than half of the players of the team, but she really stepped up. She became the second Becky Sauerbrunn. When Becky retired, she told Julie to go on and achieve what she was meant for. 

Tobin and Julie exchanged a quick look, before the Thorn took the lead and said :

"What a wonderful panel of people we have here"

That made everyone laugh. Tobin's speeches had become legendary, and she was a very good cheerer. 

"I mean, look at us. There are some relics such as Lys, Kels, Al, Michelle, Pressy, Jules... We've gone through so much together. But now, the old ones can't do it on our own. That's why we are very happy to see the diversity of this team. Let's take a minute to appreciate Lindsey's strong shot, Moe's innocence and Sam's falls..."

"Amen !" Allie yelled. 

The assembly burst out laughing, as SMew just threw a death glare at the blonde midfielder, who was giving Lindsey a high five. 

"I could go on all day on you guys wonderful styles of play" Tobin then said, and everybody listened to her. "But what really matters now is to knock those three teams down, and become champions again. So let's get back to work !" 

Julie was the first one to cheer loudly. 

Mal, on the other hand, wasn't smiling. She was so stressed. People had been calling her the new hope of the team, and really believed in her. But she only was 21. How could she be the spiritual leader of this team ? Was anyone asking her to be one ? She was totally lost, and found a consolation in observing the other newbies that were freaking out as well.

Her biggest joy with the new team configuration was that Ashley Sanchez - her long-time friend, with who she was on the U-17 and U-20 national teams - was here. They were sitting next to each other. 

"Do you know who that girl is ?" Ashley asked, frowning.

Mal followed her friend's eyes, just to discover a girl she's seen before. 

Her whole body was covered in tattoos, and she was dressed in a very basic short and t-shit. Her light blonde hair were pretty short, barely touching her shoulders. Her piercing blue eyes were locked on her hands. She was sitting with Sydney and the two others goalkeeper, and that was it. She didn't talk to anyone else since she got here. When Mal played against the Seattle Reign, she was the starting goalkeeper. She was very aggressive on the ball, which paid off since she had a clean sheet, as Washington lost 2-0. 

Mal rolled her eyes. She didn't like that girl, and her being called to the national team didn't really make her happy. 

"That's Gabie Jenkinson" she grumpily said. 

"The Gabie Jenkinson ?" Ashley asked, her eyes widen. 

The goalkeeper was also known for her unique story : she didn't have the chance to have nice parents. Her dad was an alcoholic, while her mother just wasn't here at all for her. So when they died, a rich old woman from Seattle adopted her. It was said that the old lady was the only person - with Syd - Gabie was nice to. 

Mal saw Ashley looking away. 

°

"Babe ?" 

Christen just entered the room. Training was really hard today, but totally worth it. Mark let them room together, so the couple was just very happy. They've been living together for three years now, and knew each other by heart. They got used to living with each other, even though it wasn't easy every day. 

She found her girlfriend half-asleep on the bed, and decided to go and cuddle her. Once she was on position, she placed a quick kiss on the tattoo Julie had behind her ear. The blonde let out a small sigh. 

"Babe ?" Christen asked again in a very soft voice. 

"Mmh?" 

"Can you help me with something ?" 

"Sure" Julie whispered, her eyes still closed. "What do you want me to do ?" 

Christen smirked. Of course Julie would do anything to help her. She said yes without even knowing what she was going to ask her. 

"You know the two new defenders ?" 

"Maura and Saskia ?" Julie asked, frowning. "Yeah, more or less, why ?"

"I promised them that we would help them train" her girlfriend tried to say, hiding her funny face. "Like, tonight." 

Julie let out a big sigh. 

"Sure. Tonight." 

"You really said yes to this ?" Christen asked, truly surprised. 

"Yah. I mean, I'm the co-captain. It is my duty to help the newbies. Besides, Maura is the new Becky according to the medias, so I have to help her be the new Becky." Julie explained. "I want her to succeed the way Becky used to do." 

Christen knew how hard it had been for Julie to play without Becky and Hope by her side. They were the two rocks of her first years with the team, and the defender had taught her so much thorough the years.  

She kissed her forehead. 

"Thank you. You really are my life savior" Christen let out, relieved. 

"Back at it again with those sweet words" Julie said, rolling over to the side. "Anything for you, princess." 

Christen pulled her closer and kissed her. Even though they've been dating for years, she still had that warm feeling inside of her body every time Julie was close to her. She was the one person that made her feel at home wherever they were.