46

Game Day ° Elimination stage 

USA v JPN

______________________

Allie took a deep breath.

She prayed God today. She knew something way bigger than herself was on the line. Three years ago, in the Olympics, they left the competition at that very stage. She didn't want it to end again. She didn't want to deceive all those little girls and boys that she named her fans. She didn't want to dishonor her country. She didn't want to disappoint her teammates or something. Once was enough. She didn't want to see the tears in the locker room, and the angry and disappointed faces. 

She was sitting on her room, on her own, playing with the ring Kelley's mom Karen gave her. Will you propose to my daughter, Allie ? she said that one day, when they were trying some dresses on for her son's wedding. Ever since, the blonde would just eventually look at the piece of jewelry, wanting to propose to Kelley more and more every day. But she knew now was not the good time.  

Allie jumped when she heard the door being slammed open. Alex came in, and immediately noticed what her best friend had in hand. She made sure nobody was here before closing the door and approaching her. Alex wasn't the most supportive person about Allie and Kelley's relationship, and even tried to screw everything up several years ago. But now, she seemed pretty shocked, and excited. 

Her blue eyes went wide, as Allie was cursing herself. 

"Holy shit" the forward let out, sitting next to her friend. "Can I see it ?" 

Allie handed her the little black box, and Alex's eyes seemed to be glued to that masterpiece she was holding in her hands. 

"It's a legacy" Allie said, trying not to freak out too much. "Her mom gave it to me because she thought I was 'the one' for her daughter." 

The brunette lifted her eyes. "You are the one for her, Al." When she saw the blonde was nervously playing with her fingers, she asked : "Will you propose to her ?" 

"Not now, at least" the middy answered, knowing very well that this answer wouldn't be enough for the curious pregnant woman. "I don't know. I really do want to make her mine, but I don't know if marriage is a thing she wants." 

Alex nodded. 

°

STARTING XI : Naeher ; O'Hara, Johnston, Sonnett, Rys ; Long, Horan, Brian ; Heath, Leroux, Pugh

The crowd was huge today to assist one of the best rivalry in women's soccer. Every time those two teams met has been a dramatic game, either victorious for the US, or a draw or even a loss for the former number one team. And people in Lyon - who loved women's soccer, thanks to Olympique Lyonnais, the star team in France and in Europe - knew that really well. 

The girls settled on the bench, knowing that tonight would be an emotional game. Jenko sat down next to Cari, who already was feeling the roller-coasters in her stomach. Seeing Moe on the field for that important game made her stressed : what if she missed a pass or something, and then would blame herself for it ? On her left, Sam and Kristie were in a deep sister's talk, while Stephanie just seemed disconnected, her eyes locked on the big screen. Christen, who would normally be subbed in later in the game, seemed nervous : they lost to penalty kicks to Sweden, and she missed hers. She felt like she had to make her redemption. She talked with Julie earlier today, and the defender seemed worried.