4

Cari Roccaro wasn't the kind of girl to do stupid things whenever she wanted to be liked by someone. She usually just stayed on a corner, looking at the people that did stupid things, making fun of them. 

Her eyes were locked on a certain light brunette, that was laughing her ass off with Lindsey. Cari and Lindsey had known each other for a very long time. They were on the U-20 national team together, and have become each other's best friend. Cari was here when no one else was when she came back from France. And Lindsey was by her side when she had to overcome some awful family problems. 

But Cari wasn't looking at Lindsey. Her grayish eyes were trying not to be too obvious, because she didn't want anyone to notice and then tease her about her crush. She's been hiding her attraction for five years now. Ever since she got on the Dash, having the brunette around was distracting her big time. So when Chicago was looking for another defender, Cari immediately accepted. She didn't want to screw everything up because she was too occupied to look at her instead of looking at the ball. 

There was a sudden noise that brought Cari back to reality. Kristie was now on the ground, while Lindsey and Moe were laughing their asses off. The small giggle that went out of Moe's mouth made Cari smile. You look like an idiot, Roccaro. Cari shook her head, trying to look compose and normal. She didn't even know why she liked Moe, actually. She was not that beautiful - yes she is - and was pretty annoying sometimes - yeah but she still is funny, nice and... - and furthermore, she could be straight, given that she only dated boys and that her last relationship ended about three months ago. 

She didn't realized it at once, but Moe was now standing right in front of her, frowning. She probably just talked to Cari, but the girl was too absorbed by her thoughts to hear it. Shit, she thought, slapping herself from the inside. 

"Uhn ?" she awkwardly let out, blushing a little bit. 

That seemed to amuse Moe, because she laughed for a second. Cari tried to ignore her heart racing, and looked at her friend - if only it could be more... NO CARI ! - with embarrassment. 

"I literally just asked you if you wanted to go out with me" Moe said, smiling. Holy shit, go out ? What does it mean ? Does she know ? Maybe Lindsey knows and told her ? This is so messed up ! How will I even be able to look at her without blushing and stuff ? Her thoughts were cut short by Moe. "I mean, with us"

"Us ?" Cari asked, slightly relieved. 

"Yeah, like Linds, Sonnett, KMew, SMew, Steph, I mean normal crew" Moe explained, trying to figure out why Cari's facial expression was so awkward. 

Say something. Something clever, like, I don't know, a nice sentence. "O-okay." Cari immediately rolled her eyes at herself. Really ? Just 'okay' ? What about the 'yes, I'd like to ! Thanks for asking me ! I'm looking forward to it !'? And you even stammered. I hate you. Moe seemed confused, but didn't say anything after that. 

Moe smiled at her, before going near Sam and Emily. Cari sighed, and followed her friends to the pitch. 

°

 Allie was standing on the roof of the building, looking at the lights brightening the whole city. 

Ever since she was a kid, she used to escape from reality. And the best way to do this was to go on the roofs and look at the stars for hours. Of course the whole house was looking for her all this time, and she'd be grounded. But she needed this. Like she needed it now. Because the last living member of her family died. Patrick was involved in a fight in prison, and three huge dudes ended him. She wasn't even that sad, but it was just the feeling that she was all alone. A feeling that appeared one year ago. 

The worse part was that she didn't have Kelley by her side anymore. She missed her kind words, her hugs, and the feeling of her skin against hers. Allie closed her eyes : it was too late now. Kelley had a girlfriend, she was happy. Allie had cried enough over her. She knew Tobin and Alex were here for her. She knew Carli would be here too if she needed her. And Hope, maybe. She shook her head. 

She felt a presence behind her, and closed her eyes. She wiped her tears away. She knew exactly who was standing behind her. Kelley was the one person knowing her by heart. She knew that when Allie was nowhere to be found, she was either hiding somewhere, or looking at the starts from a roof. 

Kelley rested her elbows on the steel barrier, not even looking at Allie. She then naturally took her hand, and Allie's heart seemed to have trouble in beating. She hated the fact that the freckled girl still had this effect on her. They broke up for a good reason - right ? - so she should've just let go of all those feelings. She didn't chose to fall for her in the first place, and now she couldn't chose to stop loving her. That was pretty ironic. 

The freckled girl was looking at their fingers entangled. 

"I'm sorry for Patrick" she let out, looking at the stars now. 

"I miss you". 

Kelley's eyes went wide. 

Allie would've expected her to just go away. But Kelley, instead, just squeezed her hand harder, trying to look composed. When their eyes met, there still was that electricity Allie discovered on day one. She loved that look, because Kelley was only giving it to her. Without even realizing it, their faces have come closer. 

"I miss you too" Kelley whispered, before shaking her head. "But I have a girlfriend, Allie. You know that." 

"I do." 

This time, the blonde was the one taking her hand back and walking away. She knew Kelley was looking at her with her sad eyes, but she didn't turn around. 

She still was heartbroken.