17

Moe was freaking out. 

She was walking back and forth for about an hour now, and Lindsey, Cari and Sonnett were just looking at her without saying anything. Moe's sister Jennifer was at the hospital right now because she fainted at school. But since her family lived in St Simons in Georgia, she couldn't go and see her. So instead, she was just waiting for a call from her parents telling her that her sister was okay. 

Lindsey was rolling her eyes at her. "Dude, relax" she let out, trying to be a little bit friendly. "She wasn't crushed by a car or something". 

The midfielder didn't even look at her. Emily gave her a blow in the roasts, which caused her to ear a death glare from the taller girl. Cari, on the other hand, was concerned about Moe. She seemed to be breaking down at the moment. She knew it also was the distance that made her miss her family so much. And she couldn't do anything to help her sister. That went with the sacrifices the girls had to do to be on the NT. 

Cari tried to cheer her up. 

"She's gonna be fine" 

"You don't know that !" Moe practically shouted, before actually realizing who was talking to her. She then shook her head. Shit, why did I yell at her ? If it was Lindsey it wouldn't have been that bad... But why don't I want Cari to think I'm a bitch ? The defender was looking at her, confused and shocked. She wasn't used to be yelling at by Moe. "Sorry. I'm just very stressed and nobody seems to care." 

"We do care, but Jennifer isn't made out of gingerbread" Lindsey explained in a soft voice. 

"Not helping" Sonnett warned her. 

They exchanged a quick look, as Cari was looking at them with anger. They immediately understood that Moe needed to see them gone. So they awkwardly went out of the room, while Cari was closing the door behind them. Moe looked at her, panicked. Why is she being nice to me ? I just yelled at her.    

Cari then walked toward Moe and opened her arms. 

"Here" she said, smiling. "I feel like you could use a hug". 

Moe sighed out of relief, and immediately took Cari's invite. She buried her face on her neck, and started to cry. She wasn't really sure why, but with the brunette she had the impression that she could be sad, without being mocked or something. Cari is my safe place. That realization made Moe go weak. 

She pulled away, and locked eyes with Cari. 

"Why are you always so nice with me ?" she asked, frowning. 

"Uhm... Because you're my friend ?" Cari said, giggling. Noticing that Moe wasn't even cracking a smile, she gained her serious face again and said : "Believe it or not, you're a good person, and people like you." 

Moe didn't know what to say. Instead, she just smiled at Cari. They spent the afternoon talking about everything, and Moe was happy to see her friend open up to her a little. God, her smile is too much

°

Mal was on the roof, trying to stop thinking about it. 

Her grandmother died today. That wasn't that big of a deal. She didn't want to be so weak for a lady that despised her so much. But she still was her grandmother, and the memories they shared together were precious. There were good times, during which Mallory was the happiest she's ever been. 

When she heard the ground crackle, she knew one of her teammates was standing on the roof as well. And when the person leaned against the barrier, two tattooed arms appeared in her field of view. She didn't even look up.