60

Game Day

USAvFRA

Part Two 

Everybody ran at Christen. 

Once the embrace was over, and that everybody was running back to their position, she looked right at the sky, before closing her eyes, and kissing the ring she shared with Julie. She then looked at her fiance, who was sending her a hair kiss. The French crown cheered loudly after those actions, and the girls got back to position. 

The game really was tensed up. But in the 34th minute, Lindsey made a fantastic run, and passed the ball to Steph, who was alone on the side. The brunette knew she had to do it on her own, so she dribbled past the whole defense, and fired a shot that hit the crossbar, but went all the way in. She ran straight at the bench, and jumped into Kristie's arms. The rest of the team followed up, and they all were cheering loudly. On the stands, Carli were yelling at them to go back, because France were coming at us. But before she could finish her sentence, she felt Hope's hand on her leg, and looked at her. Let them celebrate the way we did back then. That seemed to be what she wanted Carli to understand. The former captain relaxed on her chair, holding her son against her. 

Speaking of former captain, Becky was having a tremendous game. She blocked at least five shots before they actually could reach Ash. Julie was on her side too, and when Kelley started dribbling all the way to the midfield and shot a long ball to Mal on the right side, the two defenders stopped running. That was going to go in. They saw that on the forward's face. She passed the defense, and took her chance : the ball lobed the keeper and went in as well. The US bench went crazy, as the youngster just ran on the sideline. 

She ended up in Jenko's arms. 

"That's my girl" the keeper whispered, holding her tighter. 

Mal kissed her, just like that, in the middle of a finale. The crowd cheered, while their teammates were leaving them alone after a brief hug. Mal opened her eyes and looked at the keeper, who seemed chocked. 

"I love you." Mal innocently said.  

"Me too" Jenko chuckled. "But now, you gotta go back there and keep on doing what you do, princess". 

Mal nodded and ran back to her position. 

Halftime was there, and the US were leading 3-0 against a French team that seemed totally surprised. 

°

They ended up scoring in the 49th minute, a goal from Claire Lavogez, with an assist from Henry, who was just thrilled. The girls hugged each other, and when Claire's eyes met with Jenko's, she gave her a small smile : she was the reason why the keeper was still alive. Her and Amandine had saved her, and probably Hope too. 

Few minutes later, Sonnett got brought on the ground by a French forward. Her head hit the ground really hard, and her whole body was in pain. Lindsey ran toward her and knelt next to her. She tried to keep her attention, but the blood that was running on Sonnett's face wasn't good news. Lindsey made the sign, and the medical team brought Sonnett out of the field. Mark sent Cari in, and ordered the medical staff to take care of the defender here, because she didn't want to miss any piece of that game. 

Ashlyn made an amazing save few minutes afterwards. The ball ended up in Julie's feet, who just passed it to Tobin. Ashley Sanchez, who came in several seconds earlier for Steph, made a terrific run. She was around midfield when Tobin made the pass, and she didn't hesitate long before seeing the keeper way out of her line. She took a shot, and the long ball ended up lobbing the keeper, and was on the net. The crowd erupted in cheers, as Sanchez was looking at Carli on the stands. She pointed at her, all smiles. It's a number 10 thing to do, Carli thought, astonished by the young girl. 

France wouldn't give up without a fight though. They scored ten minutes later. It was now the 84th minute, and the score was 4-2. 

Then, the unbelievable happened. Cari just dispossessed a forward and started to run. She was unmarked, all alone. She ran past the halfway line, and sent the ball high in the air toward Christen. It was nearly impossible that the forward would score from that angle. But she took her change. Her left foot hit the ball in the air, and redirected it toward the goal. The French goalie ran back to her position, but the ball just lobbed her. It ended up on the goal. The whole team ran at Christen, who was on the ground. 

Few minutes after that unbelievable goal, Lindsey scored a diving header from an assist of Tobin, and after a French action that was cut short by Becky and Julie, Allie scored a perfect goal, in the way that the ball had the perfect pace on it, and seemed to naturally hit the net. They were leveled-up 6-2, the highest score ever on a World Cup. 

Lena Riley got on the field for Mal, who was exhausted. She immediately received the ball. There only was ten seconds left. She started to run, and lifted her head : Ashley Sanchez was there too, along with Cari Roccaro. When she sent the ball toward the 6, Cari just shot it before it hit the ground. The ball bounced around the keeper and the US side erupted in cheers for the final time, and when the final whistle blew, the whole team was jumping on Cari. They all ended up on the ground. 

The former players were yelling from the stands. Lauren and Arod gave each other a hug, before the bigger girl said : 

"I approve this Roccaro girl for Moe"

Arod burst into laughter. 

That was it. They were World Champions once again. Against all odds, and after so much adversity, they were back. The uswnt was back, and ready to take on the world and get their number one spot back. 

°

After the win, the girls were welcomed in their country by a huge crowd. They went to a parade in New York, before winning the Victory Tour in the end of the year.

Alex Morgan gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Lily Rose. Her and Servando moved in Portland, where Alex joined her former team, the Thorns. She is now playing with her two favorite person in the whole world.

Kelley retired after the World Cup, feeling that it was time. She moved in Allie's apartment, and the pair got married on a beach in Hawaii, where only their family and closest friends would be allowed. Since Allie had nobody to walk her down the aisle, Tobin showed up and lead her to her wife-to-be.

Still in Portland, Lindsey and Emily introduced each other to their respective parents, who literally became best friends. The pair was trying not to go public because of the Olympics being just around the corner. 

Meanwhile, in Chicago, Christen and Julie decided to wait before the official ceremony. The blonde got her fiance a gorgeous dog named Sansa (because Christen was an huge Game Of Thrones fans, even though she wouldn't admit it). Every month, the pair would go to the cemetery where Alyssa was resting in peace and say a few words on her grave. 

Cari re-signed with the Houston Dash to be near her girlfriend again. Mal, who was finally out of college, decided to go and play with Seattle. Her keeper was there too, and totally recovered from her injuries. The two couples were now happy, and preparing for the Olympics next year, because they were the future of the team. 

The following events, you all know it ; the NWSL season would continue, and then more and more training camps were to come, in order to get ready for the roster for 2020, that would be taken care of by Mark himself. 

Oh, and Tobin finally had the balls to ask Kealia out on an actual date. 

The girls were finally back on track, and were not ready to stop here. 

THE END