10

Kealia was the last person standing on the field. 

Actually, today was their day off. Even though the girls asked her if she wanted to go downtown with them, she claimed that she had other plans with her family. Instead of having fun like everybody else, she just practiced all day, hiding from Mark, because he would obviously get mad if he knew she wasn't recovering properly. But the thing was that Kealia wasn't usually starting, so she didn't have that much playing time. 

So here she was, enjoying the last hour during which the sun was slowly setting down. Her legs were burning. But she wouldn't stop. She fought so hard to finally be called up. Finding people like her former U-20 teammates - especially Julie, who was her captain, but also Crys, Cari and Moe - was making her very happy : she did it. She was on the top of the women's soccer world, and it was all because of her hard work. 

She put another ball on the back of the net, and grimaced. Her knee was hurting a little bit, but she didn't want to stop. You need to practice. You need to keep on working on your shots. Her thoughts were toxic, she knew it. But she decided to keep on shooting the balls she had in front of her. After the last one made it to the goal, she let herself fall on the ground, her face facing the stars. 

She suddenly heard the ground cracking behind her, and straightened right away. A shadow was approaching her, and she only distinguished who it was when the person sat down next to her. Her long brown hair were gathered on a ponytail, which revealed her sharp jawline. Kealia let a small laugh out, before lying next to Tobin. 

"Sorry I scared you" Tobin nonchalantly let out, her eyes locked on the galaxy. 

Kealia didn't answer. Most of the time, whenever people talked to her, she didn't answer at all. She was always uneasy with people around her, and preferred to just shut up instead of saying stupid things. 

"I'm glad you joined the team" Tobin went on hesitantly. Once again Kealia didn't answer. The truth was that the brunette was quite impressive. Say something, dammit ! But all she did was wait for Tobin to keep on speaking, which she did. "I've watched you play, and I must say you're a hell of a player. I just wish you'd have more playing time." 

Now is the time you say something. Come on, Ohai. Her throat was so sore at the moment. Kealia was suddenly wondering why it was even harder for her to talk to Tobin. Harder than talking to anyone else. "Thanks." she blurted out, closing her eyes out of anger. Why can't I talk with her ? She cursed herself. "We, uhm, we've playing on the same team for a year and a half now" Kealia painfully went on. 

Tobin must've noticed Kealia was pretty nervous. She nodded in agreement. They didn't really have the chance to talk, because Kealia was on the bench very often, and received Allie's advises and orders since she was on her side of the field. I wish we could talk more. They had a lot of friends in common, but since Kealia was always hanging back, she wasn't included in conversations and stuff. 

The brunette smiled. "Yes. Funny how time flies." She turned her head to look at Kealia, who suddenly felt the heat in her cheeks. Praying that they hadn't turned red, she focused on the stars, even though it was very difficult not to look at Tobin. Kealia wasn't really having a crush on her. But she was very impressed. Tobin smirked. "You are very shy, actually. You don't seem like you are on the field." 

Kealia didn't move a bit. So Tobin just went with the flow - or her silence - and went on : "I'd like to know you better. If that's cool with you, of course." 

This time, Kealia turned her head. She immediately locked eyes with Tobin. She wasn't used in having someone so closed to her physically. She was the kind of girl to always avoid human contact because that scared her to death. But with Tobin, she wasn't really scared. Once again, she only was impressed. But comfortable. 

"Yes" Kealia said. Why can't I make a full sentence ? She must think I'm being a bitch or something ! Tobin was still looking at her, frowning. Say something ! Like: 'I'd love to know you better, Tobin', or 'We could get a coffee sometimes, when you're not hanging with Allie?', or even something like 'yes, please ! Why not?'  "We can do that." 

Tobin looked at her, a smile on her lips. Kealia bit hers, and immediately looked away. 

"Cool" Tobin said. 

And they just laid here in silence until the sun was totally gone. 

° 

"Fuck"

Sydney was looking at her shorts for about an hour now, while her roommate, Kristie, was keeping on reading her book. 

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." 

"Swearing don't help" Kristie let out. 

"Lazy roommate doesn't help either" Syd angrily let out. "Shit, I saw them this morning ! Did you take them ?" 

"Me ?" the blonde exclaimed, offended. But then, she looked up and her face changed into a smirk. "Actually, I may have taken them after careful consideration." 

The forward glared at her, before rolling her eyes. "Where are they ?" 

"Look under your bed" Kristie said, knowing that the end was near. She just didn't know if her best friend was going to strangle her or just throw her out of the window. 

Syd got up, both shorts she's been looking for in hands. She threw them on Kristie, who just caught them before they landed on her face. "Sorry ?" she innocently said, using her baby face to soften Syd. 

"I wonder how this poor Stephanie still bears you" she said, taking her shorts back. "She must be exhausted to date a messy girl like you !" 

Those words rang an alarm on Kristie's head. "We aren't dating yet" she reminded her friend. 

"You're fucking like every night, and already introduced each other to your families. When is this trial over ?" 

"It's too soon" Kristie let out. 

"It's been four freaking years ! Believe it or not, but you guys are a couple." Syd said with impatience. 

"We don't want to rush things" Kristie explained for the hundredth time. "Too many young couple are breaking up because they rushed their relationship. I know Stephanie loves me, and I love her back. But we will take our time, because we don't want whatever we have to be ruined ! Don't smirk, that's the truth. She's my princess, and I want to make her happy. So we will spend our lives together, probably live together someday. But for now, we just are in love. Not a couple. Not fuckbuddies. Only us." 

Syd rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She then suddenly realized she actually had something to say to her best friend. "Oh, I almost forgot : Dom is coming here in two days, and he's bringing the kid with him. Do you think you could-" 

"Yes, Syd, I'll take care of him while you guys are banging" Kristie said, rolling her eyes. "I'm his main auntie after all."

"Thank you."

"You know how thrilled Stephanie will be ?" Kristie joked. 

Steph hated kids more than she despised Trump. So it goes without saying that she really hated them. And with the pregnancies on the team, she had to bear their presence, because whenever Arod, Cheney and Dom came for a visit, the kids were here too. 

"You're lucky she loves you" Syd said, rolling her eyes at her. "Otherwise she would've left already."

"Wild Stephanie is sweet Stephanie to Kristie" Kristie summed up. 

"You just talked about yourself in the third person..." Syd noticed. 

"Yeah, that happens to the best of us." 

The two girls looked at each other for a minute, and burst into laughter.