33

{A/N : don't forget to vote for the previous parts. Also, thanks for the comments.}

The day before the game, the girls decided to share a meal on their hotel's balcony. The incredible view they had on the roofs and the beautiful sunset was unique, as some of them already took pictures. 

Since there was no other seat remaining, Mal sit between Saskia and Jenko. The defender was in a very deep conversation with Maura and Sonnett, probably about French food or something, while the keeper was only waiting for their plate to come. When Mal tried to make eye contact with her, she immediately felt the coldness. Jenko's eyes were locked on the table, and her hands were stretching together under the table. 

Mal began to be worried. 

"Are you okay ?" she carefully asked, not willing to be too interested. She didn't want Jenko to run away. She knew she hated attachment, and also exposing herself. Even though the young forward was the one person she trusted the most on the team, she didn't want to believe that she would tell her everything. When she figured out that Jenko wasn't going to answer her, she just sighed and said : "At least show me you're alive." 

Not even a smile. When Mal looked down, she saw a little bit of blood. Oh no... Her skin was a little bit scratch. I hope she didn't do that to herself. When Jenko saw what Mal was looking at, she just smirked. 

"A friend of mine came to visit me" Jenko just said in a disinterested tone, as if Mal was supposed to feel relieved or something. 

"A friend of yours ?" the forward insisted. 

Jenko frowned. "Yup. Some guy I met in the Bronx." When she saw Mal's angry face, she knew she had to say something else otherwise she'd get dramatic. "Chill, he's not a drug dealer or some shit." 

Somehow, that made Mal feel better. 

"Good" she let out, before looking away. She then realized something. "So why did he scratch you ?"

The goalkeeper rolled her eyes. "Because I used to sell drugs to him. That's... actually why I went today. I sent him the rest of it, and he wasn't quite happy to learn that I was done with that." 

Before Mal could open her mouth, Jenko put her hand on her upper leg as a warning. Instead of getting angry again, the brunette just looked at the keeper's hand with insistence, not understanding why it was still there. 

Jenko innocently removed it several seconds later. 

"Let's stop talking about this" she then ordered, bored. "At least not here." 

"But-"

"Mallory"

"I swear if you see that guy again..." Mal grumbled. 

"What ? Are you my mother or something ? Geez" the keeper let out, quite annoyed by the forward's sudden desire to control her life. 

Mal shook her head. "I'm not" she admitted. "I'm worse than a mother. Because I actually can kick your ass. So now don't see him again." 

"Shut up, you're being ridiculous" Jenko smirked, trying not to make fun of her. 

Shit, I look like a stupid girl right now. Mal shook her head again, before turning on Saskia to talk to her. Mal was pretty sensitive when it came to her image, especially with the keeper. She knew she shouldn't have said that. She was caring too much for Jenko, and the keeper hated it. She didn't know what to say anymore. 

So when dinner was over, she rushed to her room. She didn't want to talk to her for a while. She needed to focus on the game.

°   

STARTING XI :

Naeher ; Johnston, O'Hara, Roccaro, Sonnett ; Heath, Long, Horan ; Pugh, Leroux, Ohai.

Cari looked at the board, quite shocked. I am starting ? Why ? These are all experienced players that already played either in a World Cup or the Olympics ! Or were alternate or some shit. What am I even doing here ? Is it a mistake ? I must be a mistake, I-. She was snapped out of her thoughts by her teammates, that were congratulating her. She looked at the board again, and saw that Moe wasn't starting.  

She walked toward her, as she was texting someone. They didn't have the time to talk about her 'problem' the other day, so the defender figured out it was the right time. When the middy saw her coming, she rolled her eyes.

Oh, that's not a good sign

"You've got the time to talk to me now ?" Moe angrily asked, looking at the brunette meaningfully. "Maybe you should just go with her." 

Cari frowned. 

"Uhn ?" 

"Yeah, you two are perfect for each other" Moe commented. "I should've known you liked exotic ladies. My bad."

"Why are you acting like this ?" Cari asked, really confused 

"Acting like what ?" 

"I don't know" the defender let out. "Like a total ass ?" She then had a reveal. "Wait, is it because I spent time with Andressa ? I told you you could come with us ! She's your friend too, so why are you blaming me for spending time-"

"I don't want to spend time with Andressa" Moe cut her off, saying the name with a sarcastic tone. 

"Morgan, what's the matter ?" Cari asked, not knowing where the conversation was heading. 

The midfielder looked at her in the eyes. 

"Seems like you like her. So I guess I should just leave you two alone."  

"What ?" Cari let out, totally surprised by Moe's thoughts. "I don't like her that way ! She's just a friend I haven't seen for a while ! That's call 'catching up with people', Morgan. I really don't understand your reaction."  

The middy gave her a cold look, still cross-armed. 

"Go and spend time with her" she then said in a bitter tone. 

"I don't wanna spend time with her" Cari said, outraged. "I don't like her, okay ? I don't feel anything when she's around, but friendship. So would you be kind enough as to stop talking bullshit please ?" 

Moe frowned. She wasn't used to hearing Cari swear. So when Cari looked at her with fierce, Moe just didn't know what to day anymore. Try to look tough, she told herself. But that didn't work out long. 

After a few seconds - that felt like an hour - glaring at Moe, Cari said :

"I don't like her, or anyone else." she repeated. "I like you, Morgan. Is it that hard to understand ?" she asked, shrugging. 

Moe had her mouth half opened when Cari turned her back on her and energetically walked away from her. Fuck.