37

Game Day 2

USA v FRA 

"What a lovely crowd in Strasbourg today, where the stadium is colored with the French flag. For a reminder, the French team beat England in a sold-out stadium in Nice, before flying in Strasbourg to face their long-time number one opponents. Last time those two teams meet was in June last year, as France was going home with the Algavre Cup trophy. The USA are ready to take their revenge." Heather said, smiling. "Today, since Karina couldn't be there, I decided to call a very good friend of mine here. Ladies and gentlemen, the one, the only, Carli 'hat trick' Lloyd is here !" 

The brunette hugged her friend before sitting on the chair. The small crowd that was on the studio cheered loudly, as Carli was smiling at Heather. The two girls had seen each other recently, even though the former midfielder had a really busy life. Her and Hope welcomed the young Gordon Lloyd-Solo in the family only few months ago, and now their two-year-old son was a real star already. 

Heather smiled at her friend. 

"So, let's go through the starting XI for tonight !" she exclaimed, winking at Carli. The brunette laughed and theatrically let her begin. "Alyssa Naeher will start in goal tonight, assuring the team a really solid back line. Johnston is here as well, directing the back line. Since O'Hara got hurt during training the other day, Mark has to start Sonnett, Rys and Marovic to replace her and Roccaro. Cari was injured during the game against Brazil, but Mark said it only was precautionary measures. So a very strong, yet young back line for the USA today." 

"Absolutely" Carli said, smiling. "I must say Julie is doing a tremendous job here, and we can trust in Alyssa. But what is the most astonishing here probably is how Maura Rys has stepped up for this team. When Becky told be that kid was the new her, I just looked at her and was like 'nah, don't talk rubbish'. Well, I guess I was wrong." she joked, which made people laugh. "Sonnett, on the other hand, has been more quiet. Mark likes to change the lineups, so she isn't starting that often, but I know we can count on her." 

Heather nodded. The rest of the roster appeared to their screens, so Heather immediately went on :  

"Then, a very strong midfield with Heath, Long, Horan and Ohai. I need to mention Morgan Brian's absence, due to a red card last game, that she got when Roccaro was brought to the ground. She stepped on the field and earned a useless card. I hope it won't affect the team that much" she commented, frowning. "Anyway, the two players Mark decided to push forward today are Press and Dunn. Nothing much to say than... Go USA !"

"I think Mark Parsons is doing a very good job in making each and every player valuable for the team. He knows he's got some great talent in here, and doesn't hesitate much before letting everyone play, even for big games like this one." Carli said. 

"Let's see where it goes." 

°

Moe sat down on the stands, nervously looking at her team stepping on the field after the National Anthem. Kelley was sitting on her right, while Cari was peacefully looking at the screen on her left. When the whistle blew, she took Cari's hand on hers. She felt guilty, that was for sure. But when she felt Cari's soft hand on hers, she just forgot about it. Cari threw a surprised look at her, but she didn't return it