11

The game against Colombia was just around the corner. Two more days : that were the head titles of all the soccer magazines today. The two teams haven't met since the Olympics, and of course the 2-2 draw that left a bitter-sweet taste on the older player's mouth. 

Abby had just gotten up and put a CD in the CD player, a mysterious smile on her face. "Some people got a message for y'all. Enjoy." she then said, pressing play. 

The video started with a little stupid song that the girls used to sing in Rio. Then, Lauren Holiday's face just appeared on the giant screen. She was sitting with her two year old daughter Lucy, and her husband, Jrue. The trio was all smiles, while the brunette seemed to get emotional. "Hey guys" she said, trying to swallow her tears. "Even though I left this team in 2015, I can proudly still consider it as my team. You guys have a legacy to hold, and some games to win. I am happy that America is looking this bright. I also had a special message for Tobito, but Imma need help with that..." 

She moved a little bit on the side, and a blonde appeared on the screen. She was pregnant, and her eyes were also teary. Amy Rodriguez laughed while she almost fell, and looked straight at the camera. "Hi ! So, you all must know Cheney and I were part of something bigger... An organization that included a special friendship and three amazing people" That made Lauren giggle. 

"Tobin, you're the last one of 'The New Kids', and for a while now." Lauren went on, trying to look composed. "We're so proud of how fare you've made it. You're a tremendous player, a 'nutmeg queen' and a hella good friend. We wish you and the rest of the team good luck for the qualifying games, and we believe !"

"We believe !" Amy exclaimed, and both girls burst out laughing. 

The picture suddenly changed. Hope and Carli appeared on the screen, sitting close to each other. They were all smiles, and their rings were on their finger. "Is it recording ?" a very confused Carli Lloyd asked, not even looking at the camera. 

"Yes, babe, it is" Hope said, rolling her eyes. "Hey guys ! I hope camp is great. We freaking miss you and wish to be here with you. But since we're not, we wanted to send you all our love !" 

Carli cracked a smile. "I wanted to give each one of you a shout out, especially to the two co-captains here. I remember when Julie first joined the team before the World Cup. When I saw her defend, I turned at Becky and said 'this kid is gonna go very far'. And as usual, I was right. I'm so very proud of you, and Tobin, and all the girls out there" the former captain said, smiling, before putting a serious face on again. "I also wanted to say a few words to Christen. I know  you still blame yourself for that PK against Sweden. Mija, let me tell you that the past is not important anymore. What is important is what you're about to do now. So you guys go and write history !"

That made Hope laugh. She put her arm around her wife's shoulder, and smiled at the camera. "I also wanted to make sure that the keeper nation was still alive and well. I know you guys will be real beasts on the field. And, Jenko, please be better than I was. My hopes are on you, since you are the starting GK against Colombia." 

Carli smiled. "That's it people ! I hope we'll see you very soon ! Love you !"

"Yup, what she said" Hope said, before the two of the burst into laughter. 

The picture changed again, and this time there was a bunch of people behind the camera. The girls immediately spotted Alex, Ashlyn, Ali - who obviously were in Orlando right now - Pinoe, Hao, Becky, Kling and Whit. They all cheered very loud, and started a 'happy dance'. That made Crystal laugh, because she always told Pinoe not to dance. 

Alex was the first one to speak. "YOU GUYS ! I love all of you so fucking much - even the girls I haven't met yet - and I know you'll play amazing against Colombia in two days ! Don't forget that : One nation, one team !" 

"I had a special message for Pookie" Ash let out, and the camera suddenly zoomed on her face. Ali was laughing next to her. All eyes of the room turned on Allie, who was expecting her friend to say something stupid. "Please, don't wear flashy underwear this time."

The midfielder blushed, while Pinoe and Ash were giving each other a high five. The group then cheered pretty loud, and did the 'We believe that we will win' chant, getting wild and everything. And then, a silence resonated on the room, in which the team was enjoying those moments of unity.

But Abby cut it short. 

"Okay guys, now let's get to practice so that we can prove those girls and the whole country what we're capable of ! Team on three... One, two, three... TEAM !"

The whole room then cheered loudly, while returning in their rooms to get change. 

°

"Hey" 

Cari jumped a little, and turned around quickly. Moe was waiting for her, leaning against the wall. 

"H-Hi" Cari let out in a rush. Why can't you fucking speak properly ? The brunette just rolled her eyes, while looking away. She didn't see the worried face Moe was giving her. 

"So" the middy said shyly. "Are we still going to the theater tonight ?" 

Her heart seemed to stop beating for a minute, which left Cari speechless. She looked up at Moe, and saw that the brunette was nervously playing with her hands. Of course, Moe ! I really like you so going to the theater with you is like perfect ! Why don't we then hang out a little bit just the two of us ? I'd like to go to the theater with you ! Cari's thoughts nearly made her forget to answer. 

"Yes" You're so stupid

Moe didn't seem to notice how tense Cari was. She then took something out of her bag and handed it to Cari. The defender looked at the package : it seemed like a gift or something. A gift ? Why would she offer me something ? I mean, what is it ? Maybe it's just a silly thing like she always use to get me ? Cari looked at Moe like if she was an alien, and then blushed because Moe's gaze was too intense for her to handle. 

The middy coughed. 

"I-uhm, thought you could use that" she blurted out, literally throwing the package in Cari's hands. "Don't open it now, though" she then added, because her friend was already looking at the gift with curiosity.  

"O-okay" Cari stammered. "Thanks." 

Moe stared at her for a moment, and the silence had become awkward. "8 PM down the hall ?" she asked. "A car will be here to drop us to the theater." 

Cari nodded, and before she even could think about something clever to say - even thought her last attempts were a little bit screwed up - Moe was already gone. She put the package on her bed and grabbed her bag. 

I'm going to the theater with Morgan Brian

Cari smiled like an idiot all the way to practice.