51

{A/N : okay, one last chapter because I'm nice.}

ONE WEEK AFTER THE SHOOTING

Mal was woken up by the light coming in between the white window shades. She sighed, and immediately got up from the non-comfortable couch. Her eyes fell on Jenko. Her eyes were closed, as they had been for a week now. She looked like an Ice Queen, frozen in the coldness around her. 

The days following Alyssa's death have been the worse. The FIFA committee decided to postpone the remaining of the games, as players from several teams were trapped in that hospital that day. But the US goalkeeper was the only death among them. Julie was probably the one feeling the more guilty. Guilty of being alive when her dear friend wasn't anymore. She always had had Alyssa by her side, whether it was during the World Cup, the Olympics, or even as a teammate for the Chicago Red Stars. She was a great role model, a strong woman with amazing values. Mal wished she had talked to her more often. Now there was nothing she could tell her, and that made her feel like shit. 

She closed the door behind her, her mug between her hands. She spotted Michelle Betos, who was sitting alone on her chair. Syd already came several times, but Mal didn't expect the other goalkeeper to come here. 

She raised her eyebrow, and sat down next to her anyway. 

"I can't do this on my own" Michelle said, restraining herself from crying. "She's part of the keeper nation." 

That summed up everything. 

Hope's shoulder had been cured. She was wearing something on it of course, but she was able to go back to the hotel with the rest of the girls. She only was talking to Carli and their son, but nobody else. They all knew how important Alyssa was for her. Ashlyn, on the other hand, was the one trying to comfort people. Whenever she saw someone crying, she would go to them and hug them. 

Mal put her hand on Michelle's shoulder. The older girl looked at her, a sad smile on her lips. 

"I know how much Jenko means to you. She will wake up. I have faith, and you should too." she said in a collected voice. 

The forward sighed. 

Nothing would ever be the same. 

°

Official USWNT group chat 

{Mark Parsons removed Alyssa from the group chat}

Mark Parsons : Hello girls. There is no word I can say that would cheer you up. The loss of such a beautiful person as Alyssa was is clearly impossible to overcome. I only worked with her a few years, and it was enough to know what kind of person she was. But life happens, and as much as it is devastating and sad, we need to stay strong. What I have seen those past few days give me hope about the future ; a group of girls acting like a family, always here for each other when adversity strikes. The official committee can't give us many more time. We will play against Switzerland in four days. If any of you don't want to play, or don't feel emotionally ready to do it, it's okay. I know we can do this, and get to the end of it. I believe in each and every one of you, therefore I am willing to make that tournament unforgettable, in Alyssa's honor.

Abby : Thank you Mark. As the assistant coach, I also wanted to say a few things. First of all, Ashlyn decided to end her retirement for a while, because the team obviously need her. Michelle and her agreed on letting her play the two remaining games, since Gabie is not awake yet. I also want to spread a special message to Julie and Christen, because you two were Alyssa's closest friends - especially you, Jules ; I don't want you to play against Switzerland. I don't think it is a good thing. And if we make it to the final, you both will start side by side. 

Abby : I also wanted to ask the youngest players not to give up on anything. Alyssa would've wanted us to keep on fighting, and win this whole thing in her name. So I count on the oldest girls to become some sort of pillars for them, and that includes me. 

Abby : I love this team and I love all of you. This has become way more personal than playing for our country, we all know that. Stay strong, people.

Tobin : Thank you. Now is time we show the world what we can really do. I want the spirit we had last World Cup back, because we've lost it for years now. Let's win this thing. 

Julie : I am sorry for isolating myself. I need some time alone, and will be back for the final, I swear. 

Julie : And I just got a text from Becky : her, Hao, Whit, Ali, Cheney and Arod are on their way here to support us. Can someone welcome them when they get here ? 

Tobin : Sure 

Sonnett : I wanted to thank everyone for everything. Seriously, guys, this team is on another level, and I am glad to call y'all my sisters. 

Moe : Let's play for Alyssa ! 

Christen : I have an idea. Can you please let all the Red Stars girls start in the final ? It would be a great tribute or something. 

Mark Parsons : Of course. 

°

Stephanie fell into Carli's arms. 

She killed someone. A criminal, an asshole and everything bad you can say about humanity, but she still killed someone. The traumatic event might have marked her more than the other girls. While they were grieving Alyssa, Steph had to deal with something else ; the guilt. She was crying every night over Alyssa, and feeling sick in her stomach about killing that guy. I am a monster. She was so upset that she shut Kristie and Sam out, and everybody else. Carli was the only one she was able to talk to. 

The former midfielder held her close. Hope was asleep on their bed, Gordon lying down in her arms. She didn't want to go out of this room for now. It was her way to get over Alyssa's death, and the team supported it. The only people allowing on the room were Stephanie herself, and Ashlyn. 

"Kid, you saved JJ's life" Carli whispered slowly, caressing Stephanie's back. "You've got nothing to feel guilty for. You saved someone's life. You're a hero, not a monster."

She smaller girl wiped her tears. When her gaze met Carli's, she knew something had changed in her mentality. 

"You are right. He is the monster." Stephanie slowly said, trying to convince herself. 

"Yes." Carli went on, frowning. "Now, there is a cute blonde that got worried to death about you all week long waiting for you outside of that room like every day. I really do think you should go and talk to her."

"I don't want to." 

"No matter what you want or not. Stephanie, you have someone who truly cares about you, and that could throw herself under a train for you, and wait for you a milion years if she had to. This is rare."

"Did she tell you that ?" 

"Yes, she did." Carli assured, honest. "Go". 

Stephanie didn't hesitate long before walking to the door. Before opening the door, she turned around and saw Carli finding her way on Hope's arms, holding her son tighter. She sighed, before opening that damn door. 

Kristie was indeed waiting for her, sitting on a chair. When she closed the door, the blonde got up and gave the brunette an angry glare. Before Stephanie had the chance to say anything, the middy violently slapped her across the face, before bursting into tears and rushing onto Steph's arms. She held her close, her face buried in her hair. Surprised, Steph just put her arm around her, and waited for the storm to come. 

Kristie was crying. 

"You stupid bitch." she let out weakly. "You better never do this to me again, otherwise I swear I'll rip your head off."