59

Game Day

USAvFRA 

{A/N : last but one chapter. Enjoy.}

On the locker room, a religious silence was taking place. 

That was it. The moment they all feared, and yet all were looking forward to experience. Ten minutes before they would walk on the pitch, the starters were focusing on what they had to do, their earphones on, listening to music to calm them down. 

Mark had released the roster few hours ago. But they all knew who would be starting. Ashlyn was no goal, wearing Alyssa's numbers. The two girls had been playing together for so long now, and when Hope left, they had each other's back. They were like two sisters, and the open wound Ash was carrying with her in honour of her lost friend would never be closed. She had agreed to come back because she wanted this team to finally win, after so many years. Not a single gold medal, not a single trophy for four years. They needed this. In defense, Mark put JJ and Becky as center back, surrounded by Sonnett on the left, and Kelley on the right. The four girls had spent the last few days studying the style of play of the French Forwards, and were ready. In the holding midfield, Allie and Lindsey would play together for the final time this tournament. The two girls were whispering things to each other, probably about the game. On the midfield, Tobin was also there, alongside Kealia. Christen, Stephanie an Mal were starting as forwards this time, but there would be some substitutions if necessary. 

The team was pretty scared. The height of their previous failures was on their shoulders : they didn't want to disappoint anyone once again. Not this time, not this year. Not after the games they've had this tournament. 

The thing that Ashlyn was keeping in mind was the hat trick. It was the most beautiful moment of her life. When Carli scored her third goal and ran straight at Hope, she dreamed of being in that position. Now, she was the starting goalkeeper. She knew it was unfortunate, because she only was there because of a death and two injuries. Michele was sitting next to her, knowing that if anything happened, she would be the one going out there. But having the blonde haired next to her helped her relax. 

On the stands, patiently waiting for the game to start, were the injured - Saskia, Maura and Jenko - sitting with the former players. Carli and Hope were sitting side by side, tensing up. The former captain looked at the field, bringing up so many memories from the previous World Cup. She looked next to her, to see her beautiful now-wife holding their son. Of course she regretted not playing on the team anymore, but the only good thing that came up with her retirement was that she actually had a family with the person she loved the most. She looked around her, and caught eyes with Alex. Her eyes were teary, as she was watching her two best friends hitting the field without her. 

Serva held her, while she was grinning : the baby inside of her was kicking small kicks on her belly, which hurt. But she didn't want to miss the game for a detail. Dom was there too, looking at the French staff putting everything in position. The stadium was full, and the ambiance was amazing. Of course 3/4 of it was rooting for their homeland, but a lot of Americans were here too, chanting loudly. Whit and Kling sat up as well. 

The music began to play, and the two team walked on the field. 

°

Several minutes before the entrance 

Allie grabbed Kelley's wrist. 

The two girls isolated themselves on another locker room, as the middy was slowly closing the door behind her. She then turned around slowly, trying not to skip any breathes. The last time she was so stressed was during the penalties shutouts in the 2016 Olympics. She positioned herself in front of her girlfriend, who was just frowning. 

"Al, what is it ?" 

Allie got on her knees. She got out the ring Kelley's mom gave her - her family's legacy, actually - and looked up. Kelley immediately felt her heart beat faster. She was breathless, as the beautiful blonde just took a deep breath. 

"You've been such a pain in my ass since day one" Allie started, which made the pair laugh. She then became serious again. "Our story was never easy, and I don't regret any piece of it. Because now, I know I only want you, now and forever. You're the one person knowing me better than I do, dark side and bright side. You are the one convincing me that God isn't the only savior in the world. We've been through a lot together - death, loss, failure, but also happiness, so much happiness... There is nobody I'd rather stand next to."

The blonde closed her piercing blue eyes for a second, while Kelley was nervously standing on her feet, feeling her knees becoming weaker and weaker. 

Time seemed to stop when Allie opened her eyes again. 

"When your mom gave me this ring, and asked me if I had the plan to ask the question, something pulled a trigger inside of me. Life is too short not to be with the person you love, even though it means having to stand by her side during difficult times. You've made me stronger, Kels, and I will never thank you enough for that. I love you with every part of my soul, and even if it sounds cheesy and so cliché, I want to spend the rest of my life living with you, being yours, and you being mine."

She then got the ring out of the box, and took a look at it. Kelley couldn't decide what was more beautiful : the actual ring, or the blonde on her knees in front of her, going through her fears to prove her how much she loved her. 

Kelley's eyes brightened. 

"Kelley Maureen O'Hara, we're growing old now. Would you do me the honor and accept to give me the rest of your life so I can take care of the grandma you're becoming ?" Allie joked, but her face was so tensed up her smile faded. "Kelley, will you marry me ?"

The freckled didn't say a word. 

Allie got up, and before she could say anything, Kelley burst into tears and rushed into her arms. They held each other close, like a promise, whereas the tears were falling on their cheeks. When the let go of each other, Kelley said : 

"Even when we'll be 100 with grandchildren, you will still be beautiful" 

They giggled, while Allie raised her eyebrows at her. 

"So, is it a yes ?" she nervously asked. 

"Of course it is a yes. I love you so much."

Allie put the ring on Kelley's finger, before kissing her wildly. Their moment was only interrupted by their teammates knocking on the door : show time was here now. The couple just kissed one last time, before stepping out of the room. 

°

The National Anthems just finished playing, and the stadium paid a minute of silence for the attacks and Alyssa. Once the team made their encouragements, the benched girls just sat back down. Moe took her usual sit next to her girlfriend, who was sitting next to Sam. 

When the whistle blew, and that only ten seconds afterwards, Christen was burying the ball on the back of the net, the whole bench got up to celebrate. 

That was it. USA on the board in the 13th second. 

{To be continued. Next chapter will be the last of the series.}