Tainted Wings

- P R O L O G U E -

Christopher walks over to the glass tube to observe his experiment in process. At this moment all he observes is an innocent looking fourteen year old girl. Long auburn hair and pale, but this isn’t her original appearance. Changing her appearance was only part of the first step, and it went as planned. Her eyes are closed like she’s just taking an afternoon nap. She also has outstretched wings made of pure white feathers.

“It will be time to wake up soon, my dear.” He speaks. “You had to be taken from your “family” in order for us to take tests on you. You can thank your parents for this, one from Hearotia other from Azeroth. Forbidden love, forbidden child, but you were born with such great powers. You will help us create a whole new species. For that you should be proud of yourself. It’s just too bad that you’ll all end up being killed in war.”

“Professor Chistopher?” The man looks back to find one of his colleagues. “We finally have all that we need to continue with the experiment.” 

“I’ll be there in a bit. I’m not done taking observations here yet.”

“We’ll be waiting sir.” The man leaves the room, and the professor turns back to the experiment. He knows his new experiment will succeed without a doubt.

“Poor little girl. You’re parents left you on earth to carry this burden. You’ve come in handy though, now we can change your little friends into creatures like you as well, but we’ll have to do something before we can do that.” He presses a few buttons on a tablet. “Now your power will be fully mature, and you won’t remember a thing about this . . . or your childhood, but you’re playing a big part in this.” He laughs manically then moves to the next room.

“Professor, we gathered the first subject.” An unconscious young boy lies before them. He’s been this way for two years now, almost as if he was in a coma. 

“Good. Now we are going to try and give this one the abilities of a cat.”

A scared, sixteen-year-old, boy sits in a white room. He’s now awake, and has been so for only a few hours. He looks through a glass wall that allows him to see many other kids trapped in cages. He sits there and reaches to touch his newly given ears, then behind him to feel his new tail. He was told they would appear and disappear when needed, but they still scare him.

He sits on the bed that is the only piece of furniture in the room, and stares out the glass wall. On the other side, there’s a hall, and beyond that there’s a large dark room full of cages. The cages are filled with other kids, but each different. Some with one eye some have wings. Some are covered in hair and others in scales, but all have something in common. They’re all a failed experiment.

He squints as the large double doors snap open. Four figures roll in yet another cage. From the light casting on the figure, he can tell it’s covered in scales and is panting heavily. They push it through the doors and it rams into another cage. The doors then slam shut. Once his eyes adjust, he can see the scaled figure moving slowly up and down, getting slower. Soon it stops, and he knows that they just ended another innocent life. He just hopes it wasn’t his brother. He was taken by these people, as well as him and another friend that was living with them. He knows she’s safe though, because she’s not like these creatures. She was actually born with wings, not given them through some experiment.

The boy swings his head around as he hears a hissing noise. A rectangle indents on the bare wall, then disappears leaving an opening. A person in a lab coat walks in. 

“Your brother is alive and well, his transformation was successful.” The boy lets out a sigh of relief. “You will be released from here, as well as your brother, but there’s a catch.” The boy stares at the man waiting, but then something behind catches his attention. There are other people in lab coats rolling past another cage. This one contains a girl he knows, the girl he loves.

“What’d you do to her!?” He shouts as he tries to push through the door. The man pushed him back. He quickly runs over to the glass wall. The doors don’t open.

“Don’t worry; we just used her for a few tests. And the condition is . . . you have to work for the government, or she gets hurt.”

Sorry everyon I accidently deleted this off my works list. So I decided to take advantage of my stupidity and change some things around and I made a new cover. So I will be posting all the chapters again and I'll be finishing it, so most of them will be the same, but some characters will look different and something might happen differently. Sorry again, but bare with me please! I promise to get it up as soon as possible. THANKS! HAPPY NEW YEAR BY THE WAY!!