Chap. 16: Skylar

It’s been a while since we finally found the town Kei was looking for. It’s a freaking city. Cars zooming down the road, police sirens filling the air, and everything a city normally has.

“So why are we here exactly? I mean we have no money for food or anything.” We’re ducked down, hiding in the bushes just a few yards from the town. 

“Don’t worry I know someone who lives here. We have to find a pace to hide Kiara and Hikaru first.”  I look back to the creatures. Along the way here, I have actually started to create a relationship with them, like they were my own pets. Sure, they aren’t the most beautiful animals, but they are pretty amazing. “You guys just stay here in the woods, close to the town though, and when we reach out destination, I’ll summon you and we should have enough room for you there. But if you get too hungry you can always go catch something as well.”

Yes master. They both say with a bow. I wonder why they act like this. I guess I understand since he’s the one who gave them life and everything.

“OK, Sky, I need you to hide your wings.” I keep looking at him when my wings disappear into a dust and dissolve into my body. He looks awestruck. 

“It’s really not that amazing.” I say.

“For you it isn’t. Anyway, we need to get going, so follow me.” He bursts out of the foliage and I follow behind him. We run to the sidewalk and then just stroll down it like we’ve lived here for our whole lives. People are crowding the sidewalk making it hard to keep up. This place seems all too familiar for some odd reason, I feel like I’ve been down this road before. 

After what seems like an eternity of walking, we finally reach an off part of town. The surrounding starts to turn into beautiful scenery. The sidewalk weathers into a dirt path, and trees are standing guard on both sides. I close my eyes as I walk, enjoying all the sounds of nature. The gentle breeze blowing rustling the leaves, and the birds chirping. I’m so glad I get to see such a gorgeous place at the beginning of spring.

“We’re here.” Kei says. I open my eyes and find an amazing house. It looks like a traditional Japanese home, one with the paper screens and all. The Cherry Blossom trees just add to it, as well as the rose bushes. How I remember these, I have no clue. I can only see a small portion of a pond from the back, but it looks so amazing.

“This isn’t a dream is it?” Kei giggles and I look at him offended. “Is it really that funny that I admire its beauty?”

“No, no. It’s just, that’s what you said the very time you saw it. Before you lost your memory that is.” I cock my head to the side. “I expected that look.” He laughs again and starts down the trail.

“Some friend you are.” I mutter under my breath. I hurry to catch up. 

The inside of the house matches the outside perfectly. Kotatsus and everything. Or so that’s what Kei told me they were. The beds are normal beds though. I run around to observe everything up close and touch it. Kei just stands there and watches me. 

I find the back door and dash into the backyard. It looks even better than what I would’ve imagined. roses everywhere, along with many other Japanese flowers and plants. The pond is as big as I assumed, and right next to it is a granite bench. I walk over to it and I’m about to sit on it, until I hear someone yell.

“What on earth do you think you’re doing and who the heck are you?!” I turn around wide eyed to find a stout elderly lady with a shovel in hand. Her eyes are filled with alarm and fear, but she seems somewhat calm. She stares at me for a few moments, and then her weapon lowers slowly. “Sky? Is that really you?”