Chap. 19: Skylar

It’s been a long day. I was wanted to go to the Garden with Fostoria and the rest, my job there was to help them find new styles for them to wear. I actually had fun helping with it too. I’m back home now, ready to just lay down and rest.

“Hey Skylar, come here I want to show you something.” Kadaj is standing in the doorway of the study. At least I call it the study, it’s just a big room filled with book, a desk, and a computer.

“What is it?” I say as I walk into the room. He’s sitting at the desk, with some pictures spread out. I walk over to look at them closer. “Who are they?” I ask. In some pictures there is a boy and girl smiling looking like they’re having the time of their life, but most of them are just of the girl.

“She looks really happy doesn’t she?” He says spreading them out a bit more so I can see them better. 

“Yeah she does. Is she a model or the photographer just so good that he makes her seem that way?” He laughs.

“I guess you could say both, but this girl is no longer a model. I want to help remember these times so she can be happy again like she is in these photos, but it might be a lot harder than I think it might be.”

“Why? Can you not find her or something? What happened to her?” He just sits there and looks at the pictures longing for those times again. I can tell. He then turns to me, and looks me right in the eyes. I love how his eyes are two different colors. One is a beautiful sapphire, the other a deep brown.

“She’s you Skylar.” My breath stops, and look at the pictures one last time. 

“Is this really me?” I pick up a few of them.

“Yeah, that’s really you. You look the same right now, as you did back then, but your hair is defiantly longer.”

“I look so happy, but who is this boy?” I point to the boy in the picture in which we are riding the bike. I really wish I could remember these times. We look like we had so much fun. He sighs. He seems a little disappointed I asked. “You don’t have to answer I was just-”

“It’s me.” I look at him surprised. “These were taken the year we were obtained. You were in sixth grade and I was in eighth. Kei took the pictures with both of us in them, and I took the ones of just you. Him and I both loved photography.” He laughs as he picks one up. “In this one, you were having trouble making the snowman’s face, so you just decided to let him look evil. You named him Benito. You were so proud of yourself despite his appearance.” I laugh taking it from him. I do look proud of myself, even if he does look evil.

“What about this one?” I say picking up the one with me with a cotton candy and I’m dress in a weird fashion.

“That one is when we went to the Japanese festival our school held. You’re wearing a kimono, you didn’t like it, but people kept telling you how it matched your hair and made you look prettier than you already are.”  I blush. Why wouldn’t I. I’m supposed to know this person that I’ve known since I was at least ten, but now, I don’t know anything about him. Trying to avoid the awkwardness I pick up another picture.

“What about this one?” He laughs, and takes it in his hands.

“Hmm, in this one, I think you were taking your violin into the shop to get fixed because Kei had spilled some water into the frame. You weren’t too happy to give it up, but you did anyway. I let you put my case over your shoulder, and I had to play my guitar to help you cheer up. You tried playing it too, and you were pretty good.”

“You played guitar?” I say sitting up straighter. I want to learn as much as I can about him. I want to know him once again.

“Yeah, I even played it before I knew you. I took you to the music store with me one day for my lessons. You were so fascinated by all the different instruments. You picked up a violin, the one that you liked the most, and played it with perfection. Your position and everything. Right then and there, you inspired me to learn how to start playing.”